Aloo patta gobhi sabzi recipe – Simple potato cabbage stir fry recipe. We use cabbage often in our diet to make curry, paratha, stir fry, salads and stir fry. This potato cabbage stir fry is one of the recipes I make sometimes to have with the plain rice or chapathi. My kids like this due to the addition of potatoes and sometimes I even add some green peas to this.
This potato cabbage stir fry can be made without the use of any garam masala, but I have used it here otherwise my kids don’t like it. You can skip it if you do not like it.
Aloo patta gobhi sabzi recipe
- 250 grams cabbage / patta gobhi
- 2 medium sized potatoes cubed
- 1 tbsp oil
- ½ tsp cumin / jeera
- 1 tsp chopped garlic or ginger garlic paste or ginger
- Pinch of hing
- Pinch of turmeric
- 1 to 2 green chilies slit
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- ½ tsp garam masala or coriander powder
- Few coriander leaves chopped finely
- salt as needed
- For tips on cleaning cabbage, follow the instructions from step by step instructions.
- Heat a pan with oil and allow cumin to crackle. Saute garlic or ginger garlic paste until a nice aroma comes out.
- Add potatoes and begin to saute for 1 to 2 mins. Cover and cook until al dente. If needed you can even sprinkle some water to help it cook well.
- Add red chili powder, garam masala and green chilies.
- Saute for a min and then add completely drained cabbage.
- Saute until the cabbage wilts or done to your liking. If needed you can cover and cook until the cabbage is soft.
- Sprinkle salt and coriander leaves. Turn on the flame to high and saute until the salt is mixed well.
- Serve aloo patta gobhi sabzi with rice or chapathi.
How to make potato cabbage stir fry recipe
1. There may be different ways to clean cabbage. Sharing the method I follow. To clean cabbage cut it to 2 or 3 parts and remove the core. Removing the core is very important otherwise there could be worms inside. I spray vinegar and leave it for 10 to 15 mins. Heat water in a large bowl. When it turns just hot, switch off and add them to the pot. Since the core is removed the leaves become disjoint and separate. Leave for 5 mins. While the water is still hot, drain the water and rinse them. Drain in a colander completely. Cut as desired after the water has drained completely. I leave it to drain in the colander for about 45 mins.
2. Heat oil in a pan and crackle cumin. Saute garlic or ginger garlic paste until the raw smell goes away.
3. Add aloo and saute for 2 mins.
4. Cover and cook until al dente. If needed sprinkle water and cook.
5. Add chili powder and green chilies. I used deseeded chilies just to reduce the heat.
6. Add coriander powder or garam masala. Saute for a minute.
7. Add cabbage. Make sure the potatoes are cooked before adding cabbage.
8. Begin to saute on a high flame if your cabbage is still moist. Otherwise medium heat would do.
9. I usually do not cover and cook the cabbage since I use very young or tender one. If yours is not, then cover and cook until done. If you cover and cook tender cabbage then the curry turns soggy.
10. Sprinkle salt and coriander leaves. Stir fry on a high flame until the salt dissolves.
Serve aloo patta gobhi sabzi with rice or roti.