Andhra chicken biryani recipe that can be followed by a newbie or even by a bachelor. This biryani is different from the chicken dum biryani or the muslim wedding style biryani.
This can be prepared with yogurt or tomatoes, though we don’t need both. Iam also sharing the chicken biryani masala powder recipe here, you can also use ready made biryani masala, but adjust the quantity of powder as needed, use a nice flavorful biryani masala since the taste and flavor of a biryani comes from the masala powder we use.
You can also check this collection of 10 chicken biryani recipes
How to make chicken biryani with step by step pictures
1. Saute dry spices in oil until they sizzle.
2. Fry onions until golden, add ginger garlic paste. Fry until the raw smell goes off.
3. Fry pudina and coriander leaves. Fry for 2 to 3 minutes.
4. Add marinated chicken. Fry for 3 to 4 minutes on a slightly high flame.
5. Add biryani masala powder and fry until the mixture begins to leave the sides of the pan.
6. Pour hot water. Using hot water prevents the chicken from turning hard and fibrous.
7. Cover and cook on a medium heat until the water begins to boil. Make sure chicken is almost cooked by now otherwise continue to cook until it turns slightly tender.
8. Add soaked rice and salt. If you add rice before chicken is cooked, it may not get cooked further.
9. Cook until the water evaporates.
10. When very little water is left. Cover and place the pot on a hot tawa. Dum cook for 5 minutes on a low flame. If making in a pressure cooker, can close the lid and cook for 5 minutes on a very low flame.
Serve chicken biryani with easy onion raita.
find andhra chicken biryani recipe below
- 2 cups basmathi rice
- 3½ cups hot water
- 4 tbsp oil or ghee.
- 1 large onion sliced very thinly
- 1 to 2 green chili slit
- 1½ tsp ginger garlic paste or grated ginger garlic
- Handful of mint / pudina leaves chopped
- Handful of coriander leaves chopped
- salt as needed - about ¾ to 1 tsp (adjust as needed)
- 4 cardamoms
- ¼ tsp Pepper corn
- 5 cloves
- 2 inch cinnamon stick
- ½ tsp. fennel seeds / saunf
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cardamom
- 4 cloves
- 2” cinnamon stick
- Few pepper corn
- ⅛ small nutmeg (optional) or 2 generous pinches powdered
- 1 strand of mace or generous pinch powdered
- 1 star anise
- ½ kg chicken pieces with bones is preferred about 1 to 2 inch cubes
- ½ cup of yogurt or tomatoes (refer notes,how to use tomato)
- 1½ tsp ginger garlic paste
- ⅛ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- Powder the ingredients mentioned under to powder or use a readymade biryani masala
- Marinate the chicken with the marination ingredients. Set aside.
- Wash rice several times and soak for 20 mins. Drain and set aside.
- Heat a deep pan or a casserole or a pressure pan or cooker with oil.
- Sauté the spices in the oil to get an aroma.
- Add onions & green chili. Fry till the onions turn golden color.
- Add ginger garlic paste and fry till the raw smell disappears.
- Add the mint and coriander leaves. Fry for 2 to 3 minutes
- Add marinated chicken and fry on high flame till the chicken turns white in color. This usually takes 3 to 4 mins.
- Add powder masala or biryani masala pow and mix well. Fry till the mix begins to leave the sides of the pan.
- Pour hot water, cover and bring the water to a boil on a medium heat. Chicken will be almost cooked by this time otherwise cook further by covering until chicken turns tender.
- Add the rice and salt. Stir well
- On a medium flame, Cook without the lid till almost all the water evaporates.
- Simmer the heat. Mix well from the bottom, Close the lid and cook till the rice is fully done. If needed can sprinkle little water. Take care not to burn the bottom. To prevent the rice being burnt at the bottom you can move this rice pot on to a hot tawa/ griddle and cook till the rice is cooked fully. If using pressure cooker, close the lid and cook for about 5 minutes on a low flame. Do not let it whistle.
- Fluff up andhra chicken biryani with a fork and garnish