andhra chicken biryani recipe that can be followed by a newbie or even by a bachelor. This biryani is different from the chicken dum biryani or the muslim wedding style biryani.
This can be prepared with yogurt or tomatoes, though we don’t need both. Iam also sharing the chicken biryani masala powder recipe here, you can also use ready made biryani masala, but adjust the quantity of powder as needed, use a nice flavorful biryani masala since the taste and flavor of a biryani comes from the masala powder we use.
how to make chicken biryani with step by step pictures
Serve chicken biryani with easy onion raita.
andhra chicken biryani recipe below
- 2 cups basmathi rice
- 3½ cups water
- 4 tbsp oil or ghee.
- 1 large onion sliced very thinly
- 1 to 2 green chili slit
- 1½ tsp ginger garlic paste or grated ginger garlic
- Fistful of mint / pudina leaves chopped
- Fistful of coriander leaves chopped
- 4 cardamoms
- ¼ Pepper corn
- 5 cloves
- 2 inch cinnamon stick
- ½ tsp. fennel seeds / saunf
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cardamom
- 4 cloves
- 2” cinnamon stick
- Few pepper corn
- ⅛ small nutmeg (optional)
- 1 strand of mace
- 1 star anise
- ½ kg chicken pieces with bones is preferred
- ½ cup of yogurt or tomatoes (refer notes,how to use tomato)
- 1½ tsp ginger garlic paste
- ⅛ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- Powder the ingredients mentioned under to powder or use a readymade biryani masala
- Marinate the chicken with the marination ingredients. Set aside.
- Wash rice several times and soak for 20 mins. Drain and set aside
- Heat a deep pan or a casserole or a pressure pan or cooker with oil
- Sauté the spices in the oil to get an aroma
- Add onions & green chili. Fry till the onions turn golden color.
- Add ginger garlic paste and fry till the raw smell disappears.
- Add the mint and coriander leaves. fry for 2 to 3 minutes
- Add marinated chicken and fry on high flame till the chicken turns white in color. This usually takes 3 to 4 mins
- Add powder masala or biryani masala pow and mix well. Fry till the mix begins to leave the sides of the pan
- Pour water, cover and bring the water to a boil
- Add the rice and salt. Stir well
- On a medium flame, Cook without the lid till almost all the water evaporates.
- Simmer the heat. Mix well from the bottom, Close the lid and cook till the rice is fully done. If needed can sprinkle little water. Take care not to burn the bottom. To prevent the rice being burnt at the bottom you can move this rice pot on to a hot tawa and cook till the rice is cooked fully. If using pressure cooker, close the lid and cook for about 5 minutes on a low flame. do not let it whistle.
- Fluff up with a fork and garnish