andhra chicken curry recipe with gravy
andhra cuisine is popular for hot and spicy foods and especially the foods made in Guntur region. Guntur, a small town in andhra pradesh is well known for its fiery hot and spicy foods.
This Spicy and hot simple andhra chicken curry called as Kodi Kura is a gravy that is cooked with minimum ingredients in many households in vijaywada and guntur regions of andhra pradesh.
Well there are many versions of andhra chicken curry, while in the coastal regions it is prepared with coconut milk or ground coconut.
But today’s andhra chicken curry recipe does not require any tomatoes,coconut milk or paste, instead poppy seeds and lemon juice are used to neutralize the spicy taste and to bring down the body temperature that is caused by the spices and chicken. However there are also recipes that call for more ingredients, but this chicken curry is a simple and quick one that is tasty and is easy to prepare.
how to make Andhra Chicken Curry – Kodi Kura gravy
1.Wash chicken and marinate with marination ingredients and set aside for at least 30 minutes, Dry roast poppy seeds and cool. make a fine paste of the poppy seeds. if you do not have a good blender or do not have poppy seeds, use 10 cashewnuts , make a smooth paste
2.Heat oil in a deep pan, sauté bay leaf,cumin, cinnamon, cloves and cardamom in the oil for a min
3.Add green chili, onions and salt . fry till onions turn golden brown evenly. (important step)
4.Add ginger garlic paste and sauté for a min
5.Add the marinated chicken and fry on a high flame for 2 to 3 mins.
6.Add mint leaves and the rest of the chili pow and garam masala. mix well and fry for 2 to 3 minutes. i have updated this recipe with mint leaves, but you cannot find them in the step by step pictures.
7.Pour water just enough to immerse the chicken.mix well . (I used 200 ml, but this depends on the kind of chicken you are using)
8.Close the lid and cook on a low flame till the chicken is fully cooked.
9.Add the poppy seeds paste. Stir well and cook till you get the required consistency. Keep string else the poppy seeds paste will stick to the bottom.
andhra chicken curry recipe below
- ½ kg chicken
- ¼ tbsp. Guntur red chili powder or any other chili powder
- Garam Masala Pow (coriander 2½ tbsps +Cinnamon 2 inch +cloves 6 to 8+cardamom 3 + jeera ½ tsp+6 pepper corn) or biryani masala powder
- 3 medium onions finely chopped.
- 1 green chili slit
- ¾ tsp ginger garlic paste
- 3 tbsps. Oil
- fistful of mint leaves (finely chopped)
- 3 tbsps. Poppy seeds or 10 cashewnuts / jeedi pappu
- ¾ tsp ginger garlic paste
- ⅛ tsp turmeric
- Salt as needed
- 3 tbsps. lemon juice (as needed)
- ¾ tbsp. Guntur Red chili pow
- Whole spice
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cloves
- 2 cardomom
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- ¼ black cumin (shahi jeera)
- First powder roasted poppy seeds thoroughly to a fine powder and then add water to make a smooth paste.Use very little water. Do not add water before it becomes a fine powder else you will feel the poppy seeds in the mouth while eating. if you cannot make a smooth paste, do not attempt to use the poppy paste, instead replace with 10 cashewnuts paste.
- Marinate chicken with marination ingredients and set aside for at least 1 hr
- Add oil in a deep pan and heat till hot, sauté the whole spices in the oil for a min
- Add green chili, salt and onions. Fry till onions become fragrant and golden evenly.
- Add ginger garlic paste and sauté again till it becomes fragrant
- Add chicken and fry on a high flame for 2 to 3 mins.
- Add chopped mint leaves and the rest of the chili pow and garam masala.
- Add water just enough to immerse the chicken.Stir well .Do not add lot of water. your curry becomes runny.
- Cover and cook on a low flame till the chicken is fully cooked and is tender.
- Add the poppy seeds paste. Stir well and cook till you get the required consistency for about 3 to 5 minutes. Keep string else the poppy seeds paste will stick to the bottom.