andhra chicken curry recipe with gravy – Learn to make simple andhra style chicken curry gravy with step by step photos
andhra cuisine is popular for hot and spicy foods and especially the foods made in Guntur region. Guntur, a small town in andhra pradesh is well known for its fiery hot and spicy foods.
This spicy and hot simple andhra chicken curry recipe called as kodi kura is a gravy that is cooked with minimum ingredients in many households in vijaywada and guntur regions of andhra pradesh.
Well there are many versions of andhra chicken curry, while in the coastal regions it is prepared with coconut milk or ground coconut.
kodi kura can be made with tomatoes or can use curd or lemon juice.
Related post you may like check chicken kurma curry here
andhra chicken curry recipe does not require any tomatoes,coconut milk or paste, instead poppy seeds and lemon juice are used to neutralize the spicy taste and to bring down the body temperature that is caused by the spices and chicken. However there are also recipes that call for more ingredients, but this chicken curry is a simple and quick one that is tasty and is easy to prepare.I have also mentioned tomatoes and coconut as optional ingredients and when to use them.
how to make andhra chicken curry recipe- kodi kura gravy
1. Wash chicken, drain off the water and marinate with ginger garlic paste , lemon juice,salt, turmeric and red chili powder. Set aside till we need it.
2. Dry roast or sundry poppy seeds till crunchy. Powder them first finely and then add very little water and make a fine paste. If adding coconut add it along with water and make a paste. If you do not have a good blender or do not have poppy seeds, use 10 cashew nuts, make a smooth paste.
Add water to this poppy seeds powder and make a smooth paste. Adding coconut or cashews helps to make this paste smooth.
3. Heat oil in a deep pan, sauté bay leaf, cumin, cinnamon, cloves and cardamom in the oil for a min. If you don’t have bay leaf, you can use curry leaves.
4. Add green chili, onions and salt. Fry till onions turn golden brown evenly.
5. Add ginger garlic paste and fry till the raw smell disappears. If using tomato, add it now and fry till the tomatoes turn mushy and the oil begins to separate.
6. Add the marinated chicken and fry on a high flame for 2 to 3 mins.
7. Add mint leaves and the rest of the chili powder and garam masala. Mix well and fry for 2 to 3 minutes. i have updated this recipe with mint leaves, but you cannot find them in the step by step pictures.
8. Pour water just enough to immerse the chicken. Mix well. (I used 200 ml, but this depends on the kind of chicken you are using).
8. Close the lid and cook on a low flame till the chicken is fully cooked, soft and tender.
9. Add the poppy seeds paste, mine became thick milk like instead of paste. Stir well and cook till you get the required consistency. Keep stirring else the poppy seeds paste will stick to the bottom.
Serve with rice or chapathi with onion raita.
more andhra chicken recipes on the blog
chicken curry with tomatoes ,
chicken iguru ,
chicken ghee roast ,
restaurant style kodi vepudu ,
guntur kodi vepudu
find andhra chicken curry recipe or kodi kura recipe below
- ½ kg chicken
- ¼ tbsp. red chili powder (adjust as needed)
- 3 medium onions finely chopped
- 1 green chili slit or chopped
- ¾ tsp ginger garlic paste
- 3 tbsp. Oil
- 1 tomato chopped finely (optional) (refer notes)
- Fistful of mint leaves (finely chopped) (optional)
- 3 tbsp. Poppy seeds or 10 cashewnuts / jeedi pappu
- 2 tbsp. Coconut (optional)
- ¾ tsp ginger garlic paste
- ⅛ tsp turmeric
- Salt as needed
- 1 to 3 tbsp. lemon juice (adjust as needed) or curd
- ¾ tbsp. red chili powder
- 1 bay leaf or 1 sprig curry leaves
- 2 to 3 cloves
- 2 cardamom
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- ¼ shahi jeera or cumin
- 1 to 1 ½ tsps. Garam masala powder
- make garam masala powder using
- 2½ tbsp. Coriander seeds / daniya
- 2 inch thin Cinnamon
- 4 to 6 Cloves
- 2 to 3 cardamom
- ½ tsp jeera
- 6 pepper corn
- Sun dry or dry roast poppy seeds. First powder them thoroughly to a fine powder and then add water to make a smooth paste. Use very little water. Do not add water before it becomes a fine powder else you will feel the poppy seeds in the mouth while eating. If you cannot make a smooth paste, do not attempt to use the poppy paste, instead replace with 10 cashew nuts paste.If using coconut add it along with water to make a fine paste or thick milk like consistency.
- Marinate chicken with marination ingredients and set aside till we use it.
- Add oil in a pan and heat till hot, sauté the whole spices in the oil for a min.
- Add green chili, salt and onions. Fry till onions become fragrant and golden evenly.
- Add ginger garlic paste and sauté again till it becomes fragrant. Do not burn. If using tomato, you can add now and fry till the mixture is roasted well and oil begins to separate.
- Add chicken and fry on a high flame for 2 to 3 mins.
- Add chopped mint leaves and the rest of the chili powder and garam masala.
- Add water just enough to immerse the chicken.Do not add lot of water. Curry becomes runny.
- Cover and cook on a low flame till the chicken is fully cooked and is tender.
- Add the poppy seeds paste. Stir well and cook till you get the required consistency for about 3 to 5 minutes. Stir often to prevent the poppy seeds paste from sticking at the bottom. Serve andhra chicken curry with any rice or phulka.