Andhra chicken fry recipe – A dry chicken recipe popularly known as kodi vepudu or chicken vepudu in Andhra restaurants is quite a common dish that is prepared in most Andhra homes. There could be many variations of preparing this dish based on the region.
I have tasted many variety of chicken fry (vepudu) among our friends, extended families and restaurants. But one recipe that won my heart was, a vepudu that’s served in Sankranti Restaurant in Singapore. We also get to see a chicken fry biryani on their menu, that is unique, rich, hot spicy & delicious. Some of the chicken dishes served there are worth to praise.
After enjoying this dish for years, I had to ask them about how it is actually made. A little here and a little there lead me to this mouth-watering and super addictive hot chicken vepudu.
This Andhra chicken fry recipe is a winner for the simplicity and taste. If you have a crowd for a meal this is super easy to make. There were days when I made 2 kgs of this dish all alone without any help and it tasted the best always.
If you are a biryani lover, you can also try this chicken fry biryani made on the same lines.
Andhra chicken fry recipe, restaurant style kodi vepudu
- 1 to 2 tbsp. oil
- 1 to 2 sprig curry leaves
- 2 to 3 green chilies slit or chopped
- ½ tsp. pepper powder (adjust as desired)
- 12 cashew nuts powdered finely
- ½ kg tender chicken (with or without bones)
- 1 ½ tbsps. Lemon juice
- ¼ tsp. turmeric
- 1 tbsp. red chili powder
- 2 large onions (coarsely pulsed in mixer)
- 1 tbsp. ginger garlic paste
- 1 tbsp. solid ghee
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp Coriandeer leaves chopped finely
- 2 tbsps. Coriander seeds / sabut dhaniya
- 2 inch Cinnamon stick / dalchini
- 8 Cloves / laung
- 4 green cardamom / elachi
- ½ tsp Jeera / jeelakara / cumin
- ¼ tsp Fennel seeds / saunf (optional)
- Make a fine powder of the ingredients for garam masala.
- Marinate the chicken with ingredients mentioned under marination along with 2 tbsps. water and garam masala. Set aside for 15 mins.
- On a low flame, cook the chicken till it is soft cooked and tender. Little water can be added while cooking if the chicken turns dry. Once cooked, set aside for sometime. This gives the best taste to the chicken fry.
- Heat oil in a pan, add curry leaves and green chilies, and fry till the leaves turn crisp and aromatic.
- Add the cooked chicken and fry on a high flame till all the gravy is absorbed by the chicken.
- Add the cashew powder and pepper powder. Keep stirring well and fry for 3 to 4 mins or till you get a nice aroma of cashews.The gravy should dry up with masala coated over the chicken. Garnish chicken fry with fresh chopped coriander leaves.
How to make andhra chicken fry recipe (kodi vepudu)
1. Make a fine powder of all the ingredients mentioned under garam masala in a blender. you can skip this if you want to use a ready masala powder.
2. Make a powder of the cashews in a blender. set aside in a plate. coarsely crush onion in a blender.
3. wash chicken and drain off completely, marinate with coarsely crushed onion, ghee, red chili powder, salt, turmeric , lemon juice, ginger garlic paste, garam masala powder, 2 tbsps. water.keep it aside for 15 minutes
4. Cook it till soft and tender in a low to medium flame, if needed you can add few tbsps. of water while cooking if the chicken doesn’t release enough moisture. When the chicken is cooked well, off the stove. If you have enough time, you can set this aside for sometime before you temper.
5. Add oil to a wide pan and heat. Add sliced chilies and curry leaves fry till leaves turn crisp.
6. Add chicken along with the left over water if any and begin to cook till all the water evaporates .
7. Sprinkle cashew powder and pepper powder evenly all over. continue to fry till you get a nice aroma of the masala and cashews. takes about 3 to 4 minutes.Chicken must look dry with all the masala coated over it.
Enjoy chicken fry or chicken vepudu with rice, tomato rasam and onion raita. You can even enjoy this as a starter. This can also be used to layer in a spicy biryani and make a chicken fry biryani which i shared it recently.