Andhra Chicken Fry popularly known as kodi vepudu or chicken vepudu in Andhra restaurants is quite a common dish that is prepared in most Andhra homes. There could be many variations of preparing this dish based on the region.
I have tasted many variety of chicken vepudu among our exteneded families and restaurants. But one recipe that won my heart was, a vepudu that’s served in Sankranti Restaurant in Singapore. Some of the dishes served here are worth to praise.
After enjoying this dish for years, I had to ask them about how it is actually made. A little here and a little there lead me to this mouth-watering and super addictive hot chicken vepudu.
This Andhra chicken fry recipe is a winner for the simplicity and taste. If you have a crowd for a meal this is super easy to make, there were days when I made 2 kgs of this dish all alone without any help.
andhra chicken fry recipe (kodi vepudu) with step by step pictures
1. Make a fine powder of all the ingredients mentioned under garam masala in a blender. you can skip this if you want to use a ready masala powder
2. Make a powder of the cashews in a blender. set aside in a plate. coarsely crush onion in a blender.
3. wash chicken and drain off completely, marinate with coarsely crushed onion, red chili powder, salt, turmeric , lemon juice, ginger garlic paste, garam masala powder, 2 tbsps. water.keep it aside for 15 minutes
4. Cook it till soft and tender in a low to medium flame, if needed you can add few tbsps. of water while cooking if the chicken doesn’t release enough moisture. When the chicken is cooked well, off the stove. If you have enough time, you can set this aside for sometime before you temper.
5. Add oil to a wide pan and heat. Add sliced chilies and curry leaves fry till leaves turn crisp.
6. Add chicken along with the left over water if any and begin to cook till all the water evaporates .
7. Sprinkle cashew powder and pepper powder evenly all over. continue to fry till you get a nice aroma of the masala and cashews. takes about 3 to 4 minutes.Chicken must look dry with all the masala coated over it.
Enjoy chicken vepudu with rice and rasam . You can even enjoy this as a starter.
For similar chicken recipes check
andhra chicken fry recipe, restaurant style kodi vepudu below
- 1 to 2 tbsp. oil
- 1 to 2 sprig curry leaves
- 2 to 3 green chilies
- ½ tsp. pepper (adjust)
- 12 cashews powdered finely
- ½ kg tender chicken
- 1 ½ tbsps. Lemon juice
- ¼ tsp. turmeric
- Garam masala powder
- 1 tbsp. red chili powder
- 2 big onions (coarsely pulsed in mixer)
- 1 tbsp. ginger garlic paste
- 1 tbsp. solid ghee
- Salt to taste
- Coriander 2 tbsps.
- Cinnamon 2 inch
- Cloves 8
- Cardamom / elachi 4
- Jeera / jeelakara ½ tsp
- Fennel seeds / saunf ¼ tsp (optional)
- Marinate the chicken with ingredients mentioned under marination along with 2 tbsps. water and set aside for 15 mins.
- On a low flame, cook the chicken till it is soft cooked and tender. Little water can be added while cooking if the chicken turns dry. once cooked, set aside for sometime. This gives the best taste to the fried chicken.
- Heat oil in a pan, add curry leaves and green chilies, and fry till the leaves turn crisp and aromatic.
- Add the cooked chicken and fry on a high flame till all the gravy is absorbed by the chicken.
- Add the cashew powder and pepper powder. Keep stirring well and fry for 3 to 4 mins or till you get a nice aroma of cashews.The gravy should dry up with masala coated over the chicken