andhra chicken pulao recipe that iam sharing today is a typical one that is cooked in the regions of Vijaywada in Andhra Pradesh, which I learnt from elders in my family. Needs no yogurt, no nut paste, and no masala powder and is just very simple as simple as the veg pulao or an andhra Cashew pulao recipe .
This pulao gets the color from mint leaves and no chili powder is used. I have used a jumbo pinch of clove and cinnamon powder as my kids have cold, so the rice looks darker. but that is not needed and has not been mentioned in the ingredient list. If you have any chicken bones that are left after preparing a boneless chicken recipe like a chili chicken or a chicken majestic, you can very well use the bones here or if you have chicken or vegetable broth you can use that too in place of water. It adds taste to the pulao.
The best time to cook this andhra chicken pulao would be when you have no time to cook a biryani or you do not want to eat too much of spiced foods or you have young kids at home who do not enjoy biryani.As the chicken is precooked (fried) before adding it to the rice, there is no chance of failing to make the pulao right.
If you are looking for a chicken biryani recipe, you can take a look at my andhra chicken biryani or a hyderabadi chicken dum biryani
step by steps on andhra chicken pulao
1.Grind together onion, chili, ginger and garlic to a smooth paste. Add lemon juice, salt and turmeric to the ground paste.
2. Marinate the chicken with the paste prepared above for about 20 mins or more
3. Soak rice for at least 10 mins, drain water and set aside
4. Bring 1 3/4 cups of water to a boil, add little salt to this. Salt is already added to the chicken so add little. meanwhile the water boils, continue with next step
5. Heat a deep nonstick pan with 3 tbsps oil, remove the marination from the chicken pieces and set aside
6. Add chicken pieces to the hot oil and fry on high to get a golden color, be quick in sauteing otherwise chicken could get burnt. Reduce the flame to medium and fry till they are half cooked.It takes around 5 mins. set these pieces aside
7. To the same hot pan, add 1 tbsp oil, fry the dry spices for a min
8. Add the marination paste that was set aside , fry till it becomes fragrant, add the mint leaves and sauté for a min
9. Add drained rice to this and fry on a high flame till the rice becomes crunchy, add the chicken and continue to fry for few more mins around 3 to 4 mins.
10. Pour the boiling water to the rice
11. Cook till almost the entire water evaporates on a medium flame.
12. Put on the stove flame to very low. Close it with a tight lid and cook for 5 to 7 mins or until rice is done. If you are using a pressure pan, you can put on the weight and let it cook for 5 mins, do not let the cooker to whistle. if the rice is under cooked, you can sprinkle some warm water and cook with the lid closed
andhra chicken pulao recipe below