chicken pulao recipe that iam sharing today is a typical one that is cooked in the regions of Vijaywada in Andhra Pradesh, which I learnt from elders in my family. Needs no yogurt, no nut paste, and no masala powder and is just very simple as simple as the veg pulao or an andhra Cashew pulao recipe .
chicken pulao recipe is very unique and the rice gets the color from mint leaves and no chili powder is used. I have used a jumbo pinch of clove and cinnamon powder as my kids have cold, so the rice looks darker. but that is not needed and has not been mentioned in the ingredient list. If you have any chicken bones that are left after preparing a boneless chicken recipe like a chili chicken or a chicken majestic, you can very well use the bones here or if you have chicken or vegetable broth you can use that too in place of water. It adds taste to the pulao.
The best time to try this chicken pulao recipe would be when you have no time to cook a biryani or you do not want to eat too much of spiced foods or you have young kids at home who do not enjoy biryani.As the chicken is precooked (fried) before adding it to the rice, there is no chance of failing to make the pulao right.
If you are looking for a chicken biryani recipe, you can take a look at my andhra chicken biryani or a hyderabadi chicken dum biryani
how to make chicken pulao recipe with step by step pictures
1.Grind together onion, chili, ginger and garlic to a smooth paste. Add lemon juice, salt and turmeric to the ground paste.
2. Marinate the chicken with the paste prepared above for about 20 mins or more
3. Soak rice for at least 10 mins, drain water and set aside
4. Bring 1 3/4 cups of water to a boil, add little salt to this. Salt is already added to the chicken so add little. meanwhile the water boils, continue with next step
5. Heat a deep nonstick pan with 3 tbsps oil, remove the marination from the chicken pieces and set aside
6. Add chicken pieces to the hot oil and fry on high to get a golden color, be quick in sauteing otherwise chicken could get burnt. Reduce the flame to medium and fry till they are half cooked.It takes around 5 mins. set these pieces aside
7. To the same hot pan, add 1 tbsp oil, fry the dry spices for a min
8. Add the marination paste that was set aside , fry till it becomes fragrant, add the mint leaves and sauté for a min
9. Add drained rice to this and fry on a high flame till the rice becomes crunchy, add the chicken and continue to fry for few more mins around 3 to 4 mins.
10. Pour the boiling water to the rice
11. Cook till almost the entire water evaporates on a medium flame.
12. Put on the stove flame to very low. Close it with a tight lid and cook for 5 to 7 mins or until rice is done. If you are using a pressure pan, you can put on the weight and let it cook for 5 mins, do not let the cooker to whistle. if the rice is under cooked, you can sprinkle some warm water and cook with the lid closed
chicken pulao recipe below
- 300 gms chicken (can increase to 400 gms) ( can add any bones that are left over after making boneless chicken recipe)
- 1 cup of aged long grain rice
- 1¾ cups of water
- fistful of finely chopped mint
- 3 to 4 tbsps oil
- 1 bay leaf
- ¼ tsp shahi jeera
- few pepper corn
- 6 green cardamoms
- 2 to 3 inch cinnamon stick
- 8 cloves
- 2 small strands of mace (javithri)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ⅛ tsp turmeric
- Salt to taste
- Grind to smooth and mix with lemon, turmeric and salt and marinate
- 1 big onion
- 1 green chili
- 1 “ginger piece
- 3 to 4 garlic cloves
- Marinate the chicken for atleast 20 mins with the marination ingredients
- Soak rice for 10 mins, drain water completely and set aside
- Bring 1 ½ cups of water to boil, add little salt to this. we already added to the chicken so add little. meanwhile proceed with next step
- Heat a deep nonstick pan with 3 tbsps oil, remove the marination from the chicken pieces and set aside
- Add these chicken pieces to the hot oil and fry on high to get a golden color, be quick in sauting else they can get burnt. Reduce the flame to medium and fry till they are half cooked. Takes around 5 mins. set these pieces aside
- Heat a pan, add 1 tbsp oil, sauté the dry spices for a min
- Add the onion paste and fry for 2 to 3 mins , when you begin to get an aroma, add the mint leaves and sauté for a min
- Add drained rice to this and fry on a high flame till the rice becomes crunchy, add the chicken and continue to fry for few more mins around 3 to 4 mins.
- Make sure that the water is very hot & boling, pour this to the rice, mix well
- Cook till all the water evaporates on a medium flame.
- Simmer the flame to very low. Close it with a tight lid and cook for 5 to 7 mins or until rice is done. If you are using a pressure cooker, put on the weight and cook for 5 mins, do not let the cooker to whistle. if the rice is undercooked, sprinkle some warm water and cook with the lid closed. If using normal rice(not basmathi), then allow to whistle once. chicken pulao is ready to serve with onion raita.
A generous pinch of clove,cinnamon powder can be added to the boiling pulao. It is optional but lends a good flavor.
Do try this chicken pulao recipe and drop in your comments.