chicken pulao recipe with step by step photos – Flavored chicken rice cooked with mild Indian spices.
A chicken pulao is mildly spiced and is not heavy like the chicken biryani. It is best to serve it with a good onion raita or a simple salan.
There are so many ways a pulao is made. We get to see chicken pulao recipes made with tomato, yogurt, stock and few recipes using coconut milk. I make both the varieties since it is kids friendly and is not loaded with spices. It is also best to serve during summers since no masala powder is used. I have mentioned both the variations in the recipe.
step by step photos on chicken pulao recipe
1. Wash and soak rice for about 20 minutes, if using normal rice soak for 30 minutes. Drain off the water and set aside.
2. Marinate chicken with turmeric, chili powder, salt, ginger garlic paste and then yogurt. Yogurt makes the chicken tender. If using coconut milk for the recipe, skip using yogurt for marination. Set this aside till we need.
3. Add oil to a pressure cooker or pot. When it turns hot, add dry spices including fennel powder. Saute till the spices begin to sizzle.
3. Add onions and fry until lightly golden. You can lightly brown them as well.
4. Add ginger garlic paste and fry until the raw smell goes off.
5. Add chicken and fry on a medium flame.
6. Chicken should turn white in color and partially soft cooked for about 3 to 4 minutes. Otherwise chicken may turn hard after adding tomatoes.
7. Add chopped tomatoes. Sprinkle salt and turmeric. Fry till the tomatoes turn mushy, soft and completely cooked.
8. Add chopped coriander and mint leaves. Stir and fry until the mixture begins to smell good.
9. Continue to cook till the moisture from tomatoes evaporate.
10. Add stock or water or thin coconut milk. Also add salt. We have already added salt to marinate, take care not to add too much.
11. When it comes to a boil, add drained rice.
12. Stir and cook till the water almost evaporates. When there is very little water left. Cover and cook on a very low flame till the rice is done.
13. If cooking in a pressure cooker, cover the lid and cook just for 3 to 4 minutes. I do not let the cooker whistle. If using normal rice, you can allow the cooker to whistle once.
14. When the pressure goes off. Remove the lid and leave it for about 5 minutes. Fluff up gently.
Serve pulao with onion raita.
find easy chicken pulao recipe below
- 250 grams chicken
- ¾ tsp ginger garlic paste
- ¼ to ½ tsp red chili powder
- Generous pinch of turmeric
- Salt as needed
- 1 ½ to 2 tbsp. Curd / yogurt (if using coconut milk skip this)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 Star anise
- ½ tsp shahi jeera
- 8 cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 black cardamom
- ¾ tsp. saunf powder
- 1 strand mace
- 1 ½ cups rice
- 1 ½ to 2 tbsp. oil
- 1 large onion thinly slices
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 medium tomato chopped
- Salt as needed
- Pinch of Turmeric
- Handful of chopped mint/ pudina
- Few coriander leaves chopped
- 2 ½ to 2 ¾ cups water or stock or thin coconut milk (refer notes)
- Wash rice and soak for 20 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Marinate chicken with ingredients mentioned under to marinate. Set this aside till we use it. If using coconut milk do not use yogurt to marinate.
- Heat a pot or cooker with oil, add spices along with saunf and saute till it begins to smell nice.
- Add onions, green chili and fry till lightly golden. Fry ginger garlic paste and fry until the raw smell disappears.
- Add marinated chicken and fry until it turns pale and white. This takes around 3 to 4 minutes. Take care not to burn.
- Add tomatoes, salt and turmeric. Fry until the tomatoes turn mushy, pulp and looks completely cooked. Add mint and coriander leaves and fry until it smells good for a minute or two.
- Make sure tomatoes are cooked, blended well with the mixture, then pour stock or water or thin coconut milk. If your coconut milk is creamy or thick, dilute it with water and measure.
- When it comes to a boil, add salt and rice.
- cook until the rice is done completely. Towards the end. Simmer the flame and cover the pot. Cook on a low flame for 3 to 5 minutes. Fluff up after 5 minutes
- When there is very little water left in the cooker (refer the pic), close the lid. Cook on a low flame for 3 to 4 minutes. Off the stove. Do not allow the cooker to whistle. Once the pressure goes off fluff up the rice.
- Serve chicken pulao with onion raita.