mushroom curry recipe andhra style – There are some foods which taste the best when made with minimum ingredients and are healthy as well. This mushroom recipe is the same – simple yet delicious.
You may also like these mushroom recipes,
Iam sharing an andhra mushroom curry, we also call it as mushroom vepudu or stir fry. This is one of the best mushroom curry I have ever tasted. Since the mushrooms are cooked with their own moisture, (without adding any water), the curry tastes good, the roasted onions too add taste and flavor to the curry.
White button mushrooms are a new super food. Researchers have found that white button mushrooms can help in improving immunity, reduce heart diseases and even fight as well reverse cancer. This is one vegetable that is most likely not favoured by vegetarians probably for their appearance after they are cooked. Iam one among them.
Back home in India, my mom rarely used to cook mushrooms as she always insists that mushrooms must be bought from a reliable source as they are likely to absorb heavy metals or toxins from the soil, if not grown in proper places. Now though I buy from a good source, she suggests me to cook the same day I buy and discard the left over, though refrigerated.
Cleaning mushrooms, many say just wipe them off with a soft tissue and rinse them. Some like to remove the skin from the mushrooms which I used to do before and now I no more do it. For those who like to clean up the skin, You can just peel off the skin from the bottom. Or sprinkle some maida/plain flour on the mushrooms and peel off the skin from bottom. Here is a picture
how to make mushroom curry recipe with step by step photos
1. Add oil to a pan and heat. Add cumin and mustard (optional).
2. When they crackle, saute ginger garlic paste until the raw smell goes off.
3. Fry finely chopped onions or onion paste evenly.
4. Stir often until they turn golden.
5. Add tomato puree or finely chopped tomatoes.
6. Saute until the raw smell goes away from the mixture.
7. Add curry leaves, garam masala, red chili powder and turmeric.
8. Saute for 1 to 2 mins on a low flame until the curry leaves smell good.
9. Add mushrooms and cashews or peas. Sprinkle salt evenly.
10. Fry for 2 to 3 mins. Cover and cook on a low flame until the mushrooms are cooked. They let out lot of moisture when covered and cooked. If they do not release moisture, then you can sprinkle little water.
11. Cook until the water evaporates. Adjust salt if needed and add 1 tsp of lemon juice. This is optional.
Serve mushroom curry with rice or chapathi.
find mushroom curry recipe below
- 1 ¼ cup sliced or 10 to 12 white button mushrooms
- ¼ cup green peas or cashews(soaked)
- ¾ cup finely chopped onions or paste
- half cup or 1 tomato chopped finely(optional)
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 green chili slit (optional)
- 1 to 2 sprigs curry leaves
- ¼ tsp mustard (optional)
- ½ tsp cumin
- 2 to 3 tbsps. Oil
- ¾ tsp red chili powder
- Pinch of turmeric
- 1 tsp garam masala or meat masala (readymade is ok)
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp lemon juice optional
- Chop onions, slit green chilies. Soak cashews for 15 minutes or wash green peas, drain them and set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, add cumin, mustard, allow them to splutter. Fry ginger garlic paste for 2 mins.
- Add onions and fry them evenly till they brown, not burnt. While the onions fry, you can chop the mushrooms. Add tomato and saute until the moisture dries up and the raw smell goes off. Add chili powder, garam masala, curry leaves and turmeric. Saute until the raw smell has gone, just for a minute.
- Wash mushrooms under running water, do not soak them in water for long as they tend to become soggy or soft.
- Cut only before you add to the curry to avoid them from discoloring. Cut to desired sizes.
- Add chopped mushrooms, cashews and salt. fry on a medium flame till you begin to get an aroma of mushrooms. This takes 2 mins.
- Cover and cook on a low flame till the mushrooms are cooked, giving a good stir in between. Do not overcook as mushrooms tend to become soggy very fast. Add lemon juice if desired.
- Serve with rice and ghee or chapathi.