mushroom curry recipe andhra style
I have already posted a mushroom masala recipe, today iam sharing an andhra mushroom curry, we also call it as mushroom vepudu or stir fry. This is one of the best mushroom curry I have ever tasted. Since the mushrooms are cooked with their own moisture, (without adding any water), the curry tastes good, the roasted onions too add taste and flavour to the curry.
White button mushrooms are a new super food. Researchers have found that white button mushrooms can help in improving immunity, reduce heart diseases and even fight as well reverse cancer. This is one vegetable that is most likely not favoured by vegetarians probably for their appearance after they are cooked. Iam one among them.
Back home in India, my mom rarely used to cook mushrooms as she always insists that mushrooms must be bought from a reliable source as they are likely to absorb heavy metals or toxins from the soil, if not grown in proper places. Now though I buy from a good source, she suggests me to cook the same day I buy and discard the left over, though refrigerated.
Cleaning mushrooms, many say just wipe them off with a soft tissue and rinse them. Some like to remove the skin from the mushrooms which I used to do before and now I more do it. For those who like to clean up the skin, sprinkle some maida/plain flour on the mushrooms and peel off the skin from bottom. Here is a picture
how to make mushroom curry recipe with step by step photos
1. Add oil to a pan and heat. Add mustard cumin. when they splutter add curry leaves or mint leaves and green chili and fry till the leaves turn crisp.Add onions and sprinkle salt and fry till golden or light brown.
2. Add ginger garlic paste and fry till the raw smell goes off.
3. Add green peas or soaked cashews and fry for 2 minutes.If you wish to use tomato add it now and fry till the tomatoes turn mushy. i did not use tomatoes.
4.Add mushroom and turmeric. fry till you begin to smell the mushrooms good for about 2 minutes.
5.Add red chili powder, garam masala. fry for a while.
6. Cover and cook on a low flame till the mushrooms become tender and soft.
Serve mushroom curry with rice or chapathi.
find mushroom curry recipe below
- 10 to 12 white button mushrooms
- ¼ cup cashews or fresh green peas
- ¾ cup chopped onions
- 1 tomato chopped(optional)
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 green chili slit
- 2 sprigs curry leaves or mint leaves / pudina
- ¼ tsp mustard (optional)
- ½ tsp cumin
- 2 to 3 tbsps. Oil
- ¾ tsp red chili powder
- Pinch of turmeric
- 1 tsp garam masala or meat masala (readymade is ok)
- Salt to taste
- Chop onions, slit green chilies. Soak cashews for 15 minutes or wash green peas, drain them and set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, add cumin, mustard, allow them to splutter, add curry leaves or mint and green chili and fry till you get a good aroma.
- Add onions, sprinkle little salt and fry them evenly till they brown, not burnt. While the onions fry, you can chop the mushrooms.
- Sprinkle plain flour over the mushrooms and begin to peel off the skin from the bottom as shown in the pictures. They can just be washed and used without peeling.
- Wash them in a bowl of water, do not soak them in water for long as they tend to become soggy or soft.
- Cut only before you add to the curry to avoid them from discoloring. Some remove the hairy part, I sometimes don’t as I find no difference. Cut to desired sizes.
- Add ginger garlic paste, fry till you get a good aroma, takes a min to two. Do not burn.
- This step is optional, if you chose to use tomato. Add the chopped tomatoes and fry till the tomatoes turn mushy and then dry.
- Drain off the water from cashews. Add them or green peas and fry on high for 2 mins.
- Add chopped mushrooms, turmeric, salt and fry on a medium flame till you begin to get an aroma of mushrooms. This takes 2 mins.
- Add red chili powder and garam masala powder, mix & fry for a min.
- Cover and cook on a low flame till the mushrooms are cooked, giving a good stir in between. Takes only 2 to 4 mins. Do not overcook as mushrooms tend to become soggy very fast.
- Serve with rice and ghee or chapathi.
for more mushroom recipe, check
potato mushroom curry