andhra tomato pickle recipe | nilava tomato pachadi recipe
Traditionally this andhra tomato pickle (nilava tomato pachadi) is made with sun dried tomato chunks. But for those living abroad or living in high raised building or in places where there is not enough sun, this method comes handy. This is my version of the nilava tomato pachadi, that i make at home and store for about 3 months.
This pickle tastes tangy, hot and sour with flavors of methi and garlic.The amount of red chili powder, fenugreek seeds powder to use here depends on the kind of tomatoes you use. If your tomatoes are tangy, you can just skip using tamarind and reduce the levels of red chili and fenugreek powders. The tomatoes i use are moderately sour and not very tangy, so i use extra tamarind.
tomato pickle recipe, over the years has gone through a series of modifications in the quantity of fenugreek, and garlic that is used. Earlier i would use a lot of fenugreek seeds powder in this recipe, now i have updated to a reduced quantity.
more pickle recipes,
step by step pictures on andhra tomato pickle
1.Wash tomatoes and set aside to dry.
2.Dry roast fenugreek seeds on a low flame and set aside to cool.If using mustard seeds fry them in the same pan just for a min and set aside. I don’t use.
3.Soak tamarind in warm water just to immerse it. (boiled and cooled water)
4. Add roasted fenugreek and mustard seeds to a blender and make a fine powder.
5.Heat a pan with oil, add tomatoes with salt and turmeric, cook on a medium flame till they turn mushy.
6.Mash up the soaked tamarind and filter it to the cooked tomatoes. Adjust the tamarind to suit your taste.I discard the pulp.
7.Once the tomato mix is cool fully, add chili powder, salt, fenugreek powder to this mixture and stir well, break up lumps, if any.
8.Heat a seasoning pan with 2 tbsp. oil, add mustard, allow them to splutter then add garlic and fry for a min, next add red chili and curry leaves.Fry till the curry leaves turn crisp.
9.Add this seasoning and pour rest of the oil (60 ml) to the tomato pickle and mix well.
Once completely cool store it in a clean, dry, airtight jar. Stays fresh for several months. I bottle the pickle in many small jars, so each time I open a new jar, pickle smells fresh and tastes good.
Tips on how to prepare and preserve pickles for longer time.
* Always keep your hands, ingredients and the utensils dry, free from moisture while preparing pickles.
* If using water to soak the tamarind always use only boiled and cooled/warm water.
* Always use a dry spoon to serve the pickles and store them in a dry and cool place.
find andhra tomato pickle or nilava tomato pachadi recipe below
- 500 Grams chopped tomatoes
- 6 tbsp. red chili pow (adjust to suit your taste)
- 1 tsp. turmeric pow
- 80 Grams tamarind (adjust to suit your taste, discard the pulp)
- ¾ to 1 tbsp. methi seeds (fenugreek)
- 1 tsp. mustard seeds (optional)
- 2 tbsp. oil for frying tomatoes
- Salt as needed
- 90 ml oil (mustard or peanut or sunflower)
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1 tsp. mustard
- 6 cloves of garlic (sliced)
- 1 red chilli deseeded
- Pinch of hing
- Wash tomatoes under running water and leave them aside to dry.
- Soak tamarind in enough warm water to immerse it. (boiled & cooled water)
- Dry roast fenugreek seeds on a low flame till they emit a nice aroma. if using mustard add them and fry just for a minute and set aside to cool.
- Powder the roasted fenugreek seeds and mustard.
- Chop tomatoes and fry them with salt and turmeric in a non-stick on a medium flame till they turn mushy and the pulp should thicken.
- Squeeze the tamarind fully and filter it to remove the impurities. Add this to the cooked tomatoes. Adjust the tamarind to suit your taste.
- When tomato mix cools down completely, add chili powder, salt, fenugreek and mustard powder to this mixture and mix well.
- heat a pan with 2 tbsp. oil, add mustard, fry till they splutter, add garlic and fry till they turn aromatic, add red chilies and curry leaves.Fry them until they turn crisp
- Pour rest of the oil (60 ml) to the tomato pickle along with the seasoning and mix well.