|Aratikaya vepudu | raw plantain fry|
There are many versions of this Aratikaya vepudu| raw plantain fry, I guess each state has a different one. This recipe is a simple one that does not take much time to prepare. Precook the plaintain pieces either in an open pan with water or steam in a cooker for 5 to 7 mins on medium high.
2 raw plantains cut to bite sized pieces (chose firm and green one, do not use plantains that are about to ripe)
¾ cup of onions chopped small
1 green chili
1 tsp ginger garlic paste
¾ tsp red chili powder
1 tsp garam masala powder (coriander seeds, cloves, cumin, cardamom and cinnamon stick, refer my homemade garam masala powder for exact quantities)
1 sprig of curry leaves
pinch of mustard
pinch of cumin / jeera
oil as needed
1. Cook plantain pieces either in enough water or steam them for 5 to 7 mins. Make sure the pieces do not turn mushy. if you boil them in an open pan you can keep an eye. meanwhile you can proceed with the next step. even if your pieces are parboiled or undercooked, its fine it gets cooked up at step 7.
2. heat a pan with oil, add mustard, cumin, curry leaves and green chili. sauté till they begin to crackle
3. add ginger garlic paste and sauté quickly to get an aroma
4. add onions and sprinkle salt and fry till they turn golden
5. add green peas if using, fry for 2 mins
6. add the boiled plantain pieces , add salt, turmeric, chili powder and garam masala
7. fry on medium high for 3 to 4 mins or till fully cooked. toss in between.