aratikaya vepudu or aratikaya fry recipe
Raw banana is called as aratikaya in my native language and a stir fry is called as vepudu. Aratikaya vepudu means a raw banana stir fry. There are many versions of making a raw banana fry, I guess each state has a different one. This recipe is a simple one that does not take much time to prepare.
I have shared two other aratikaya vepudu recipes, check the raw banana fry and ghee pepper raw banana roast.
To make aratikaya vepudu or aratikaya fry recipe, choose firm and green raw banana that is not ripe or about to ripe.Precook the plaintain pieces either in an open pan with water or steam in a cooker for 5 to 7 mins on medium high.
Then season and fry onions, add the precooked cubes of plantain, sprinkle the chili powder and garam masala. That’s it, we will end up with this nice delicious tasting aratikaya vepudu.
aratikaya vepudu recipe below
- 2 raw plantains cut to bite sized pieces
- ¾ cup of onions chopped finely
- 1 large tomato optional chopped finely
- 1 green chili
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste or grated ginger
- ¾ tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp garam masala powder or coriander powder
- 1 sprig of curry leaves
- ¼ tsp mustard
- ¼ tsp cumin / jeera
- oil as needed
- Cook plantain pieces either in enough water or steam them for 5 to 7 mins. Make sure the pieces do not turn mushy. If you boil them in an open pan you can keep an eye. Meanwhile you can proceed with the next step. Even if your pieces are parboiled or undercooked, its fine it gets cooked up later.
- Heat a pan with oil, add mustard, cumin, curry leaves and green chili. Sauté till they begin to crackle.
- Add ginger garlic paste and sauté quickly to get an aroma.
- Add onions and sprinkle salt and fry till they turn golden. If you are using tomato, add and fry till the tomatoes turn mushy completely.
- Add green peas if using, fry for 2 mins.
- Add the boiled plantain pieces , add salt, turmeric, chili powder and garam masala.
- fry on medium high for 3 to 4 mins or till fully cooked. Toss in between.
- Serve aratikaya vepudu with rice.