Semiya Kesari Recipe using almond milk
The term kesari means saffron. Rava kesari or semiya kesari are often prepared with kesari color (artificial food color).I have no idea as to how this sweet dish came into existence which calls for unhealthy artificial saffron food color. i have never used any artificial food colors for cooking as they are harmful to health. i just make my pineapple rava kesari and semiya kesari using saffron which gives a mild flavor and color.
Semiya kesari is a south indian vermicelli sweet dish that is commonly prepared at most homes and served in restaurants. It actually calls for a good amount of ghee and can be prepared using milk or water. I make my semiya kesari with almond milk to enhance the nutrition.You can replace almond milk with just cow’s milk. It turns out to be much more delicious than the regular kesari.
semiya kesari recipe using almond milk
- 1 ½ cup semiya / vermicelli
- 2½ cups cow's milk and water (1 cup milk and 1½ cups water)
- 16 to 20 almonds
- ¾ cup Brown sugar or sugar
- 2 tbsp ghee
- ¼ tsp cardamom powder
- Pinch saffron (optional)
- Nuts & Raisins (fried in ghee)
- Blend almonds with water till smooth, filter and extract the milk. Add this to the cow's milk and set aside.
- Add ghee in a pan, fry nuts and raisins set aside.
- Add semiya to the same pan , fry them till light golden.
- Pour milk to the semiya and cook till it is fully cooked and no milk remains in the semiya
- Add sugar , cardamom powder and mix well. Sugar releases moisture
- Cook till the moisture evaporates and the consistency becomes semi dry.
- Garnish with fried nuts and raisins.