Spring roll recipe – Chinese veg spring rolls are a popular starter or snack that is served in Indo Chinese restaurants. These are perfect as a tea snack or for a weekend brunch or a dinner to accompany a bowl of delicious soup or noodles. But in India most commonly one would find people enjoying these with masala tea in most tea shops too. These flaky spring rolls also go perfectly well with a hot cup of black tea or coffee.
These can be made with homemade spring roll wrappers or with readymade frozen sheets. The homemade wrappers do not turn out as good as the readymade sheets since the readymade sheets are machine made and have an even and thin layer, that gives a great and even crust or crisp once they are fried. I make spring rolls only few times a year, so I prefer to use the frozen ones.
You can find frozen sheets made with rice flour, wheat flour and plain flour too. I used ones made with wheat flour considering them to be okay & free from refined flour, preservatives I just go ahead using them. The stir fried cabbage filling that is used here is so delicious that one can even use it for making wraps or sandwiches too.
This recipe yields vegetable spring rolls just as delicious as you find in any Chinese restaurants. There is no noodles used in this recipe, if you like to you can use about 1 cup of cooked noodles or half cake.
For the kids I make these with paneer and vegetable filling in a Indian style as I prefer to keep them away from soya sauce. Cauliflower, beans, broccoli, spinach and potato can also be used. These can be baked as mentioned in method 2, after the recipe card.
Spring roll recipe below
- 3 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 medium carrot about ½ cup shredded
- ¼ cup capsicum julienned
- 2 sprigs of spring onions (white & green seperated)
- 1 to 2 tsps olive oil
- 1 to 2 tsp soya sauce
- 1 tsp vinegar
- ¼ to ½ tsp pepper powder or crushed
- salt very little
- 5 to 6 spring roll wrappers
- 1 cup oil for deep frying
- 1 cup cooked noodles or half noodle cake (optional) ( add 1 tsp more soya sauce and a bit of salt)
- Add oil to a hot pan and saute spring onion whites. Add all the veggies except onion greens.
- Fry on a high flame until half done yet crunchy.
- Add soya sauce and vinegar. Saute.
- Add onion greens, pepper and very little salt. Mix and off. Cool this completely. If You wish to use noodles, boil them al dente. Rinse well and drain completely. Add them to the stir fried veggies and fry for a min.
- Place a damp cloth over the frozen sheets for 5 to 7 mins or follow the instructions mentioned on the pack.
- Spread one wrapper, place a spoonful of stuffing. Roll one edge towards the inner side covering the stuffing. Bring the sides to the center. Dampen the left over edge and roll the wrapper to seal.
- Keep them covered.
- Heat oil until hot enough. To check drop a small piece of wrapper in the oil. If the oil is hot enough It rises in the oil.
- Add the rolls in hot oil and fry evenly by stirring until golden. Drain them on kitchen tissue.
- Serve hot with ketchup.
For similar recipes you may like to check
Paneer bread rolls
Step by step photos on how to make spring rolls recipe
1. Heat oil in a wok or pan. The entire filling has to be cooked on a high flame. Saute spring onions just for a minute.
2. Add shredded cabbage, carrots & capsicum. You can add bean if you like and can even skip capsicum. The restaurant rolls I ate in Singapore never had beans in them.
3. Saute until the veggies are half done yet crunchy. Add soya sauce.
4. Add vinegar.
5. Add spring onions, pepper and very less salt. There is also salt in soya sauce and even in wrappers, so take care not to add too much. Switch off the stove and set aside to cool.
6. Follow the instructions on the pack to remove the individual wrappers. I usually place a wet cloth on the bunch of wrappers for 5 to 7 mins. They begin to come out easily when pulled. Place one on the work area. Place the stuffing as you see in the pics.
7. Begin to roll one of the edge wrapping the edge as you see in the pic.
8. Bring the other side to the center.
9. Repeat that on the other side too. Dampen the wrapper on the edges.
10. Roll it tightly towards the left over edge.
11. Seal it completely. Keep it covered with a damp cloth.
12. Repeat making the same way until you finish the filling. Keep them covered until you fry.
13. Heat oil in a deep pan until hot. You can drop a tiny piece of a wrapper to the hot oil to check, it will rise if the oil is hot enough. Keep stirring for even frying.
14. When golden, transfer them to a kitchen tissue.
Serve veg spring rolls with ketchup or tea.
Method 2 – Kids healthy baked vegetable spring roll recipe
spring roll pastry sheets 12
1 tsp. oil
1 tsp. sesame seeds optional
For the stuffing
1 tbsp. oil
¼ tsp. cumin
½ tsp. chopped garlic or ginger garlic paste
½ tsp. red chili powder
¼ tsp. garam masala or coriander and cumin powder
Pinch of pepper powder
Few coriander leaves
¼ cup of chopped spring onions or regular onions
2 green chilies (optional)
¼ cup of bell peppers
1 cup of crumbled cheddar cheese or paneer or boiled potatoes
¼ cup of chopped carrots
2 tbsp. green peas
Baked spring roll recipe with step by step photos
1. Heat a pan with oil. Add cumin, garlic or ginger garlic and sauté till it becomes fragrant. Add all the veggies and stir fry on high for 3 to 4 mins.
2. Add all the other ingredients mentioned under stuffing and mix well. The stuffing is ready. Preheat oven at 200 C.
3. Place a damp cloth over the frozen sheets for 5 mins, they begin to come out easily when you pull out. Replace the damp cloth on the rest of the sheets.
4. Place a sheet and add the stuffing as shown in the picture.
5. Roll one edge towards the filling. And continue to roll till the center.
6. Bring the other 2 sides to the center and place them.
7. Continue to roll. Apply the flour mix over the edges and gently press it over the roll to seal.
8. This way, finish rolling all. Sprinkle some sesame seeds and place them on a parchment paper or greased foil.
9. Bake them for 12 to 15 mins. I do not flip them to the other sides, mine gets baked evenly on all the sides.
These can also be shallow fried or deep fried too.
Serve them with your favorite sauce or dip.