banana sheera also known as just sheera in our parts of Karnataka, is very commonly prepared during Varalakshmi Vratam, Ganesh Chaturti , Diwali Lakshmi puja and Satyanarayana Swamy puja too.
It can be prepared in a jiffy, all that we need to prepare this banana sheera is rava (semolina), sugar, banana and ghee. There are no standard measurements for using banana or sugar, a little more or less is just fine.
I had prepared this during the varalakshmi puja to offer as naivedhyam. If you are looking for easy naivedyam recipes for ganesh chathurti, you can try this.
Iam sharing 2 methods of making banana sheera recipe. The way we make at my mum’s home is a bit different, we use a lot of ghee to roast the semolina to bring out the flavor. The way I make needs lesser ghee (method 1 in the step by pictures) (method 2 in the recipe box).
For more sheera recipes, check out pineapple sheera and mango sheera
how to make banana sheera with step by step pictures
1. Dry roast semolina on a medium flame till you get an aroma. Set this aside. This can be done the previous day too.
2. Fry nuts in 2 tbsp. Ghee till golden, add raisins. When they swell up. Transfer these to a plate.
3. Pour 2 cups water and bring it to a boil.
4. Reduce the flame to low, Pour semolina in a slow stream, stirring with the other hand to prevent lumps.
5. When you see all the water is absorbed, add cardamom powder, mashed banana and sugar.
6. Mix and cook till it is done fully. Add ghee and mix. Off the stove and keep it covered for a while.
Garnish banana sheera with nuts and raisins
For ganesh chaturthi andhra recipes check out
Kudumulu / undrallu
annam payasam (rice payasam)
find banana sheera recipe below (method 2)
- 1 cup rava / semolina
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup mashed or chopped banana
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 to 3 green cardamoms, powdered
- 3 tbsp. Ghee
- Cashews and raisins as needed
- Heat a pan with ghee, add nuts fry till golden, fry raisins, and keep them aside.
- Add rava and fry till you smell the roasted semolina
- Pour water to the rava, mix well.
- When the water is absorbed, add banana, cardamom powder and sugar
- When banana sheera is cooked fully, switch of the flame and keep covered for a while