barley water recipe, Learn how to make barley water at home. An healthy and nutritious drink.
Most people know Barley water only as used to prevent formation of kidney stones, water retention in pregnant women and to treat urinary tract infections. But it certainly has many more benefits like clearing toxins from stomach, helps to reduce cholesterol and keeps the skin clear & above all keeps yourself cool and hydrated during summer. It is considered to be one of the best summer drinks keeping you hydrated and cool. This water can also be fed to babies above 8 months old, however i would recommend consulting your pediatrician before you start giving this to your baby.
Generally it is served with rock sugar or with sugar and lemon to beat the summer heat. If you want to know more on the health benefits of barley read my Vegetable Barley Soup.
Barley water is one of the drinks that is relished throughout the year in Singapore due to the hot and humid weather. Sometime back Singapore was experiencing scorching heat and high humidity. I had to prepare this Barley water to keep myself cool. Barley water can even be mixed with fruit juices and consumed.
If you are looking for more healthy summer drinks, you could check my sabja seeds drink (tukumaria seeds), Aloe vera juice, dry dates juice
how to make barley water recipe
1. clean the barley and discard any debris.
2. Soak barley for 4 hours, overnight reduces the cooking time
3. pressure cook for abour 7 to 8 whistles or till very soft cooked. you could use a slow cooker as well.Cool it completely
4. Strain and add your favorite flavorings like lemon juice or fruit juice or a sweetener
find barley water recipe below
- ¼ cup of pearl barley
- 3 cups of water
- rock sugar or sugar or salt
- lemon juice as needed
- Wash and soak barley at least for 4 hrs.
- Pressure cook till soft for at least 7 to 8 whistles or you could cook it in an open pan with additional 1 cup of water, till the barley turns very soft and about to get mushy.
- Cool barley water completely. strain and add rock sugar, lemon juice and relish