Butter cake recipe with step by step photos. This seems to be one of the simple & best butter cake recipe that I have found – light, moist, buttery and absolutely delicious and great. Though we love feather light chocolate cake much, there are times we prefer to enjoy a warm slice of plain cake with milk. This butter cake goes great with a cup of milk.
This butter cake recipe has been tried and tested by many from Lai kuan’s space adapted from Agnes Chang’s Baking Make Easy.
This butter cake recipe is a simple and easy one. I have tried many recipes before and some how was not very satisfied. I have tried this recipe countless times and has yielded me the best. This can be baked in a 8 * 8 square pan or a loaf pan and 4 small cups.
For more cake recipes, you can check
Hershey’s chocolate cake
Chocolate banana cake
How to make a butter cake recipe – simple & quick
1. Preheat the oven to 170 C.
2. Grease a pan and line with butter paper.
3. Break the eggs and set aside.
4. Mix flour, salt and baking powder. Sieve and set aside.
5. Mix sugar and butter on a low speed till well combined. Set to medium speed and beat until pale light yellow. Sugar does not dissolve at this stage.
6. Add one egg at a time and beat after each addition until creamy. Scrape down the sides while beating.
7. Add the essence and mix.
8. Divide the flour into 3 parts, add one part at a time and mix on lowest speed, and scrape down the sides. Finish all the 3 parts
9. Add milk little by little and mix.
10. Pour the batter in the greased tin and knock it to the kitchen counter few times to distribute the batter evenly. This is very important else the cake will raise unevenly like mine.
The last 20 minutes, I cover the cake with a foil, since it begins to brown while the cake is still under baked. So the cake touches the foil while it rises and the upper part sticks up to the foil as you can see in the picture. You can prevent this by using a 22 cms square pan.
11. Bake for 45 mins. Check by inserting a skewer, it must come out clean. After 20 mins, I covered my tin with foil since it had browned on top and underbaked inside
12. Once baked ,remove the cake from the oven and leave it in the tin for 5 to 10 mins
13. Once you remove the cake from the tin, Leave it on a wire rack to cool
Butter cake recipe below
- 200 gms plain flour / maida
- 250 gms unsalted butter
- 2 tsp. Double action baking powder
- 200 gms castor sugar
- 4 eggs
- 60 ml fresh milk (use 80 ml milk if eggs are small)
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 ½ tsp. Vanilla essence
- Grease a pan and line with butter paper
- Preheat the oven for atleast 15 minutes at 180 C.
- Break the eggs to a small bowl and set aside
- Mix together flour, baking powder and salt. Sieve and set aside
- Cream sugar and butter on a low speed till well combined. Set to medium speed and beat until pale light yellow.
- Add one egg at a time and continue to beat after each addition until creamy. Scrape down the sides while beating
- Add the vanilla essence and mix
- Divide the flour into 3 parts, add one part at a time and mix on lowest speed, and scrape down the sides. continue to mix till the flour is used up
- Pour milk little by little and mix after each addition.
- Transfer the batter to the greased pan and knock it to the counter few times to spread the batter evenly.
- Bake for 45 mins. Skewer inserted in the center should come out clean. While baking thru after 20 mins, you could cover the tin with a foil if the cake top has browned and undone inside.
- Remove the cake pan from the oven and leave it in the tin for 5 to 10 mins
- Invert on to a wire rack. Leave it to cool
Serve warm. This cake freezes well. Warm up whenever desired and serve