Beerakaya pachadi recipe (andhra style)
A typical Andhra meal is incomplete without a vegetable chutney. Beerakaya pachadi | Ridgegourd chutney | Heerekai Chutney is one of the most commonly prepared one. Each region has a different version of these chutneys.
Today iam going to share Beerakaya Pachadi recipe also called as beerakaya tomato pachadi in telugu. Try this chutney, iam sure you will enjoy it. It has a mild nutty taste that comes from the sesame seeds, one of the best healthy seeds that each one of us should consume regularly. Don’t worry they dont give a bitter taste.
If you do not like to use sesame seeds, you can replace it with fried channa dal and urad dal , the taste would be different though.
For those who are not familiar with this vegetable, beerakaya is called as Ridgegourd in english ,as heerekai in kannada, Peerkangai in tamil and Turai in hindi
This chutney tastes hot and tangy that comes from the tomatoes and they can be replaced by adding tamarind or tamarind paste.
It can be served with rice or chapathi. We don’t mind serving this chutney with dosas too
If you are looking for more andhra pachadi or chutney recipes, check out my dondakaya pachadi, vankaya tomato pachadi, pachi tomato pachadi, mixed vegetable chutney, mullangi pachadi
step by step pictures on andhra beerakaya pachadi
1. Heat a pan ,dry roast sesame seeds on a medium flame till you get a nice aroma. do not burn. once they cool down make a fine powder of the seeds and set aside.
2. Add oil to the same pan, fry green chili for 2 to 3 mins or till they wilt off. set aside to cool
3. To the same pan, add ridge gourd and fry till they are soft cooked. Set aside to cool
4. Add a little more of oil to the same pan, add tomatoes,sprinkle salt and turmeric, fry till the tomatoes turn mushy.
5. Add tomato, ridgegourd, salt, cumin and green chilies to the ground sesame seeds powder and grind to smooth
7. temper with tempering ingredients
I have not used tamarind as the sourness from tomatoes is enough. but if you need you can add little tamarind paste while grinding or you can even replace tomato with a tablespoon of Tamarind paste
andhra beerakaya pachadi recipe below