Beetroot chutney recipe for rice, dosa, pongal, paratha or phulka. – My family loves beetroot so I use it often to make salad, stir fry, pulao, raita, curry, kootu, sambar,halwa, beet orange juice and smoothies. Mostly I use it raw and lightly sauteed to retain the nutrients in them.
This beetroot chutney is made in andhra style just like any other vegetable chutney made in andhra cuisine. It makes a healthy side dish to have with plain rice, dosa, pongal, chapathi or paratha. Most times I pack it in the lunch box for the kids along with paratha or phulka.
Beetroot chutney gets a good flavor from roasted chana dal and urad dal. They can be replaced with lightly roasted white sesame seeds. Tamarind paste is used to give a mild tang to the chutney, since i do not favor tamarind in my foods i have used lemon juice. Also lemon juice removes the strong smell of beetroot. I have used a mix of green and red chilies, you can replace one of them with the other to suit your taste.
Step by step photos on how to make beetroot chutney recipe
1. Heat a pan with little oil, fry dal till lightly golden. Add green chilies, red chilies, curry leaves, garlic or ginger. Switch off the stove when the red chilies are roasted and curry leaves turn crisp.
2. Add cumin to the hot pan and stir everything well. You can set aside little of this for garnish or for seasoning towards the end. Cool the roasted ingredients completely.
3. To the same pan, add grated or cubed beetroot. If grated beetroot, just saute for 2 minutes. Cubed beets need to be sauted for about 4 to 5 minutes or till they get discolored.
4. Add the cooled ingredients and blend to a smooth or coarse chutney to suit your liking. We don’t need to add water, moisture from beetroot is enough to keep the chutney moist.
5. Add lemon juice and blend once more.
Garnish beetroot chutney with seasoning that was set aside. Serve with rice, paratha or chapathi.
Find Andhra style beetroot chutney recipe below
- 1 to 1 ½ cups chopped or grated beetroot
- 1 to 2 green chilies
- 2 to 3 red chilies
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- ½ tsp cumin
- 1 large garlic pod or ½ inch ginger
- 1 ½ tsp chana dal
- 1 ½ tsp urad dal
- salt as needed
- oil as needed
- lemon juice or tamarind paste as needed
- Heat a pan with oil, fry dal until golden, add curry leaves, garlic, red chilies, green chilies.
- Fry until leaves turn crispy. You can set aside few curry leaves,dal and spices from the final garnishing.
- Set aside to cool. fry the beetroot in the pan for 2 to 5 minutes until slightly tender.
- Cool roasted ingredients. Blend everything well without adding water.
- Add lemon juice. Blend once more.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with the tadka set aside.
- Serve beetroot chutney with rice, paratha or any breakfast.