Beetroot rice recipe – Healthy rice made in a pulao style. Quick and easy one pot meal that goes well in lunch box or for a dinner. It is mildly flavored with pulao spices and cooked with beetroot, peas and potato. An addition of potato balances the taste and flavor of beets in the pulao, but can be skipped. A raita goes well with this. But for the kids’ lunch box, i pack this with a simple corn carrot salad which i have shared at the end of the post.
For more beetroot recipes, you can check beetroot chutney and beetroot halwa.
How to make beetroot rice or beetroot pulao
1. Wash and soak rice for about 20 minutes. Chop the veggies to small cubes and keep them ready. Large cubes don’t go well with this rice. Heat oil in a pressure cooker or pot, saute bay leaf, jeera or shahi jeera, cinnamon, mace, cloves and cardamoms until they begin to sizzle. I also like to add star anise or star flower too. If you like you can use it.
2. Fry onions and chilies until lightly golden. For kids you can deseed chili and use or substitute with red chili powder. If using red chili powder, use along with veggies later.
3. Add ginger garlic paste and fry until the raw smell goes off.
4. Add chopped potatoes, beetroot and peas. I also like to add few coriander and mint leaves. If using red chili powder, you can use now. Add turmeric as well, i added to the ginger garlic paste, so did not use here.
5. Fry everything well for 2 minutes.
6. Pour water and add salt. Stir and check the salt. Water should be slightly salty.
7. Add soaked and drained rice.
8. Cook on a medium heat until the water is almost evaporated but still soggy. Cover the lid and simmer to the lowest flame. Cook until done. If cooking in pressure cooker, cover at this stage (refer the picture). Cook for about 4 to 5 minutes on a low flame. Switch off before the cooker whistles if using basmathi rice. For normal rice, you can allow to whistle once.
9. When the pressure goes off. Fluff up the rice. Beets get settled at the bottom of the pot. Pulao was yellow due to the addition of turmeric.
When fluffed up and mixed, the color of beets spreads to the rice. Beetroot rice can be served with a simple raita.
For the kids’ lunch box, i usually pack a vegetable side like a salad or a dry curry with this pulao. This time it was the corn carrot salad. To make the salad, I cooked corn lightly and set aside to cool. Added the grated carrots, coriander leaves, pepper powder and olive oil. Tossed everything well. My kid sprinkles salt just before eating.
- 2 cups basmathi rice
- 3.5 cups water
- 1.5 tbsp. oil or as needed
- 1 strand of mace / javithri
- 6 cloves
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 1 small star anise (optional)
- ½ to ¾ tsp shahi jeera or jeera (cumin)
- 1 small bay leaf
- 2 green chilies (slit) or ½ tsp red chili powder (optional)
- 1 ½ ginger garlic paste
- ⅛ tsp turmeric
- ½ green peas
- 1 medium beetroot (1 cup chopped small)
- ½ to ¾ cup potato (optional)
- fistful coriander and mint / pudina
- salt as needed
- Wash, soak rice for at least 30 minutes.
- Saute spices in hot oil and then fry the chilli , onions till golden.
- Fry ginger garlic paste until the raw smell vanishes.
- Add veggies and fry for 2 minutes.
- Add water and enough salt.
- When the water begins to boil, add drained rice and cook until done. Towards the end when the water is almost evaporated, cover and cook until done.
- If cooking in a pressure cooker, when the water is almost evaporated, cover with the lid and simmer for 4 to 5 minutes. Switch off before the cooker whistles.
- Fluff up the rice gently and serve with a raita .