beetroot kosambari – kosambari is a salad that is a part of the meal in Karnataka and Maharashtra. It is prepared with soaked moong dal, coconut, coriander leaves and raw veggies like carrot, radish and or cucumber. It is also tempered with mustard, cumin and hing. It is also made during Sri Ram Navami for naivedhyam.
I make mullangi kosambari whenever I have fresh mullangi. I also prepare kosambari with beetroot for a change. This beetroot salad will be liked by most since soaked lentils and fresh coconut add great taste. Raw food lovers will surely like this. I have not tempered it, you can temper using 1 tsp oil, curry leaves, mustard and cumin.
While eating beetroot regularly can be good for people with anemia. This is one of the healthiest ways to consume beets, since they are consumed raw.
kosambari also helps to digest a meal better, the main reason it is served along with a meal. You can serve this as a side to roti or even with curd rice. During summers it is one of the best refreshing beetroot salad.
To make kosambari fine grating taste good, but I grated in a food processor hence have large grating.
For more beetroot recipes, check beetroot rice, beetroot chutney
for more salad recipes check : sprouted moong salad
- 1 cup of grated beetroot (can increase or decrease to suit your taste)
- ½ cup of moong dal / pesara pappu / greem gram split and skinned
- ¼ cup of fresh grated coconut
- 1 to 2 green chilies chopped or minced
- Lemon juice as desired
- Salt to taste
- Coriander leaves finely chopped
- Optional veggies as desired
- Grated carrot
- Grated radish (soaked in vinegar for some time)
- Grated cucumber
- Chopped onions
- Wash moong dal thoroughly 3 to 4 times and soak for at least 1 hour. Wash thoroughly and drain off the water completely.
- Grate coconut, beetroot and other desired veggies. Chop coriander leaves.
- Mix all the ingredients and serve kosambari.