Ladies finger fry or andhra bendakaya fry recipe – Learn how to make ladies finger fry with step by step photos. Ladies finger is known as bendakaya and vepudu in telugu translates to stir fry. Ladies finger or okra is one of the highly nutritious low calorie vegetable that is often used to prepare sambar, curry or stir fry in Indian Cuisine.
Today I am sharing ladies finger fry called as bendakaya palli vepudu in Telugu. It is one of the best ways to serve bhindi to kids and is mostly liked by all. For more kids friendly foods you can check these recipes for kids.
Slightly moist, non-sticky with an aroma of roasted coconut and peanuts makes this simple everyday vegetable a mouthwatering side dish. This easy ladies finger fry compliments any meal and can be had either with rice, chapathi or phulka. We usually serve this with sambar or tomato rasam along with rice.
Ladies finger fry recipe or bendakaya fry recipe
- 250 grams ladies finger / okra / bendakayalu
- 1 green chili slit or red chili broken
- 1 large onion sliced thinly
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves crushed (optional)
- 1 tsp. urad dal / minapa pappu
- 1 tsp. chana dal / senaga pappu
- Pinch of mustard
- ¼ tsp. cumin
- ¼ to ½ tsp. red chili powder
- ½ to ¾ tsp. coriander powder or coriander and cumin powder or light garam masala (optional)
- 2 to 4 tbsp. Fresh grated coconut
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice (to prevent the ladies finger becoming sticky)
- Pinch of turmeric
- Salt as needed
- 2 tbsp. Oil (coconut oil tastes good, even normal oil is fine)
- Fistful of roasted and skinned peanuts (split peanuts are better)(optional)
- Wash bendakayalu or okra and dry them thoroughly or wipe off with a clean cloth or absorbent papers.
- Chop the ladies finger to thin circles.
- Add oil to a pan and heat, add mustard, cumin, dal and fry until the dals turn golden, add garlic, curry leaves and chilies. Fry till the curry leaves turn crisp.
- Fry onions till translucent.
- Add ladies finger and sprinkle lemon juice.
- Fry till the stickiness goes away. Cook covered till they turn soft.
- Cover and cook till the ladies finger is cooked and turns soft.
- Add rest of the ingredients. Fry till it begins to smell good for about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Serve ladies finger fry with rice or phulka.
How to make ladies finger fry or bendakaya fry recipe
1. Wash ladies finger under running water. Set them aside to dry or wipe off with a clean cloth or absorbent papers.
2. Chop the ladies finger to thin circles. Before u chop make sure they are not wet else they will become sticky.
3. Heat a pan with oil, add mustard, cumin, dal and fry till the dals turn golden, add garlic, curry leaves and chilies. Fry for a min.
4. Add onions and fry till golden.
5. Add ladies finger and lemon juice.
6. Fry till the ladies finger become non sticky for about 5 to 7 minutes.
7. Cover and cook till the ladies finger is cooked and turns soft. Cover only after bhindi is fried well till it loses its stickiness.
8. Sprinkle salt, red chili powder, turmeric, coriander powder (if using) , coconut and peanuts.
9. Fry till the coconut becomes aromatic takes around 3 minutes.
Serve bendakaya fry with rice , phulka or roti.