Veg grilled sandwich recipe – Sandwiches are a favorite among many and like to enjoy for their breakfast or evening chai. Bombay sandwiches are quite a common street food not only in bombay but even in other parts of India. Most chat places, tea shops, tiffin centers & Indian restaurants have a variety of bombay street foods on their menu.
These veg grilled sandwich can be made for breakfast, brunch or a snack and are quite filling. These can also be carried to work as they keep good for few hours.
Green chutney and sandwich masala are the key ingredients to making these taste great. To make these veg grilled sandwiches, a generous amount of butter is smeared over the white bread and then the chutney. Topped with boiled veggies and sandwich masala, it is then grilled.
Veg grilled sandwich recipe
- 1 large potato steamed or boiled & sliced
- 1 medium sized onion sliced
- 1 large tomato sliced
- 1 large beetroot steamed or boiled & sliced (optional)
- Bell pepper slices few
- 1 medium sized cucumber sliced
- 8 bread slices
- Sanwich masala or ½ to ¾ tsp chaat masala & ½ to ¾ tsp cumin/ jeera powder
- 4 to 6 butter (softened or melted)
- 2 cups coriander
- 1 cup mint/ pudina
- 2 tbsp dalia / fried gram
- 1 tsp cumin / jeera
- 4 hot green chilies (adjust as needed)
- 2 small garlic cloves / lahsun
- ¼ to ½ inch ginger / adrak
- 1 to 1 ½ tbsp Lemon juice or as needed
- Blend all the ingredients to make green chutney. It must be thick and not runny. Set aside.
- Boil or steam potatoes and beets until just cooked without making them very soft.
- Slice the remaining veggies along with boiled and cooled potatoes and beets.
- Butter each slice of bread on both the sides.
- Spread the green chutney as needed.
- Place the veggies - potatoes,beets, tomatoes, cucumber, onions and then capsicum.
- Sprinkle a generous amount of sandwich masala or chaat masala and cumin powder.
- Cover with another slice of buttered bread.
- Place them in a hand held or electric griller and grill until golden.
- Cut bombay veg grilled sandwich and serve.
How to make bombay grilled sandwich
1. Boil or steam potatoes and beetroot. I skipped beets and steamed potatoes just until done. While the potatoes steam make the green chutney.
2. Cool the beets and potatoes and slice them. While they cool, you can slice the tomatoes, cucumbers, onions and bell peppers.
3. We will need green chutney that is thick and has a good spreading consistency. You can find the the recipe of green chutney here.
4. Spread a generous amount of butter over the bread slices on both the sides. Butter prevents the bread from turning soggy.
5. Spread a generous amount of green chutney.
6. Layer the potatoes and beetroot.
7. Then the cucumber and tomatoes.
8. Then the onions and bell peppers.
9. Sprinkle a generous amount of sandwich masala. I used store bought masala. If you do not have just replace with a good chaat masala.
10. Cover with another slice of buttered bread.
11. Grill it either on stove top using a hand held sandwich griller or in a electric one.
12. Grill until golden and crusty.
Cut and serve bombay veg grilled sandwich.