Bread pakora recipe – Also known as bread pakoda, a tea time snack and a popular street food of India, mainly in Mumbai. One gets to see these even in the tiffin centers & restaurants across India. There are 2 ways these are made, First one is plain bread pakora and the other is potato stuffed one. The plain one are made without stuffing. The other ones are made similar to the bread rolls or bread bonda but not the same. Here the potato stuffed bread sandwich is dipped in pakora batter i.e the besan batter and fried.
To make plain bread pakora, just dip the bread slices in batter and deep fry. You can use the same recipe mentioned below, skip making the stuffing.
These crisp fried delicious bread pakora are heavy and go great as a weekend or party snack. There are 2 ways one can make the filling. The easiest way is to go simple without the tempering like I made for this bread rolls. The second method is the way I have shown below in the step by step pictures. Both ways they taste good, but the method I showed below is more flavorful. Recipe method is roughly adapted from Tarladal’s site.
Find Bread pakora recipe below
- 6 slices of bread
- 1 ½ cups cubed potatoes / aloo (3 medium)
- Handful of green peas (optional)
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- ½ tsp mustard
- Pinch of hing
- 2 green chilies chopped
- ½ tsp ginger paste
- Few coriander leaves
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- ½ tsp garam masala
- Generous pinch of turmeric
- Salt as needed
- ¾ cup besan (can use coarse besan for crunch)
- 2 to 3 tbsps rice flour
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- Generous pinch of turmeric/ haldi
- Salt as needed
- ½ to ¾ tsp ajwain/ vaamu/ carom seeds
- Water as needed
- Steam or boil potatoes along with green peas. Mash them well and set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and crackle mustard. Then saute ginger, green chilies and curry leaves until it begins to smell good. Off the stove
- Add red chili powder, garam masala and turmeric.
- Add mashed potatoes and salt. Mix everything well. Cool this.
- Place the potato mix over 3 bread slices. Cover them with another. Press gently and cut each sandwich to 2 triangles.
- Heat oil in a pan and deep fry bread pakora until golden on both the sides on a medium heat.
- Repeat frying the rest of bread pakora. Drain on a kitchen tissue. Serve hot or warm.
Step by step photos on how to make bread pakora
1. Steam or boil potatoes until just cooked. Do not over cook as they will turn soggy. I steam them in a pressure cooker without the weight. You can also use a steamer or just boil in the pan with little water. I have used very few green peas, you can skip if you do not like them. Set these aside to cool. Mash them up well with a masher.
2. Heat 1 spoon of oil in a pan. Add mustard and allow them to crackle. Add ginger paste, chopped green chilies and curry leaves.
3. Saute them all until aromatic. Switch off the stove.
4. Add hing, chili powder, turmeric and garam masala.
5. Add the mashed potatoes, sprinkle salt and mix well. You can also add coriander leaves.
6. Place the bread slices and then spread the potato masala.
7. Cover with another slice of bread. You can also spread green chutney on the other slice.
8. Press the bread slices well to hold the stuffing properly. Cut them diagonally.
9. Similarly prepare all the stuffed bread. Set these aside.
10. Begin to heat the oil as needed. In a mixing bowl, add besan, red chili powder, ajwain / carom seeds, salt, rice flour and turmeric. Mix them up very well.
11. Add water just as needed and make a thick batter.
12. The consistency must be similar to the bajji batter.
13. You will have to gently lift the stuffed bread and dip in batter. Make sure it is coated on the sides as well. Hold towards the 2 edges and lift them from the batter. Gently swipe the excess batter.
14. Drop in the hot oil.
15. Fry until golden on both the sides by flipping. Drain them on a kitchen tissue.
Serve bread pakora hot with green chutney or sauce.
Green chutney recipe
1 cup coriander leaves
½ cup pudina / mint leaves
1 tbsp fried or roasted gram / dalia
½ tsp jeera/ cumin
Salt as needed
2 to 3 hot green chilies
few drops of lemon juice
¼ inch ginger
1 to 2 small to medium garlic cloves
Lemon juice as needed
How to make
1. Blend all the ingredients together with 2 tbsps water. Add lemon juice and mix. Ready to serve.