brinjal fry or vankaya fry recipe with step by step photos, one of the quick and easy brinjal recipes
brinjal is one of the low calorie vegetables with good levels of antioxidants, iron, magnesium and many other nutrients. Hence makes a good vegetable for weight watchers. Some folks have a special love towards brinjal while others hate them. However good brinjal recipes can convince everyone to like it.
brinjal fry can be made in so many ways, the recipe iam sharing today is a simple one and tastes quite good. you can find another spicy brinjal fry here
brinjal fry can be made alone with out using any other veggie or it can be made with a combination of vegetables like potato or green peas. If you have folks who may not like brinjal, you can make it with potato as i do. Kids don’t like brinjal, so i serve them the potatoes. Me and the hubby end up enjoying brinjal.
how to make brinjal fry or vankaya fry with step by step photos
If you want to use potatoes without boiling, you can roast them in the pan itself. Refer recipe box below for further instructions.
1. Add oil to a pan, add the tempering ingredients and fry till the dals turn golden. Then the curry leaves have to be fried.
2. Add sliced onions and chilies and fry till the onions turn transparent.
3. Add ginger garlic paste. Fry till the raw smell goes off.
4. Add brinjal, sprinkle salt and fry for 2 to 3 minutes.
5. Cover and cook till they turn tender. Keep stirring in between.
6. Add boiled potatoes, red chili powder, garam masala.
7. Mix everything well. Cover and cook for a while till everything blends well.
brinjal fry is ready.
more brinjal recipes,
vankaya gasagasala kura
find brinjal fry or vankaya fry recipe below
- 2 small potatoes or ½ cup green peas (optional)
- ½ cup of onions
- 1 green chili chopped small
- 1½ cup of brinjal sliced
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- ¼ tsp urad dal
- ½ tsp. chana dal
- ½ ti ¾ tsp. ginger garlic paste
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- ½ tsp simple garam masala
- Chopped coriander leaves (optional)
- Lemon juice (optional)
- 1 to 2 tbsp. oil
- Salt to taste
- This step is optional. Boil potatoes, peel the skin and cube and set aside. you can use baby potatoes too. If you like to roast the potatoes instead of boiling, just skip this step.
- Cut the brinjals and leave them in salted water till you use.
- Heat a pan with oil, add mustard, cumin, dals, fry till you get an aroma of the fried dals. Do not burn them. Add curry leaves, sauté.
- Add onions and chilies, fry till the onions turn translucent.
- Add ginger garlic paste, sauté till the raw smell goes off.
- If you are using raw potatoes with out boiling, add them here and fry for 2 minutes. Cover and cook till they are done, if needed sprinkle water.
- Add brinjal ,sprinkle salt and fry for 2 to 3 mins or till the brinjals are fully done. If needed you can cover and cook.
- If using boiled potatoes, add them now along with red chili powder and garam masala. Mix well.
- Fry or Cover and cook for 3 to 4 mins. keep stirring it occasionally.Serve vankaya fry with rice and ghee.