Brown rice upma recipe – This brown rice upma is different from the arisi upma or rice upma that is made in South India. But this one too is a super easy one and is good to have for lunch or dinner. Loaded with veggies and high fiber brown rice makes it suitable to all including diabetics.
I suggest making this upma at least 30 minutes ahead of your meal, resting it for a while gives a better texture. It can be served with a chutney or any podi. To make this upma, you can make the rice rava ahead and store it in a jar.
How to make brown rice upma recipe
1. Wash and soak brown rice for an hour. Drain in a colander. When the water drains completely, Spread it on a cloth and allow to dry. You can fan dry or sun dry the rice.Dry roast on a pan till crunchy. Cool and pulse it coarsely to make rice rava. Store this in a jar and use when ever needed.
2. Heat oil in a pan, add cumin, mustard, chopped ginger and curry leaves.
3. When you begin to smell the ginger good, add all the chopped veggies and chilli. I used potato , you can skip if that doesn’t fit your diet. Fry for 2 to 3 minutes.
4. Add water, salt. Taste the water to check if there is enough salt. I prefer to use turmeric as well to give a better color to the upma.
5. When the water begins to boil, pour the rava stirring constantly to prevent lumps.
6. Cook on a low flame until all the water is evaporated.
7. Cover and cook for a while.
Brown rice upma is ready.
- 1 cup brown rice
- 3 cups water
- 1 tbsp. oil
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- ½ tsp mustard
- ½ tsp cumin
- turmeric little (optional)
- ginger chopped or grated as needed
- 1 green chili
- 1½ cups mixed vegetable (carrot, peas, potatoes, capsicum)
- salt as needed
- Clean, wash and soak rice for 1 hour. Drain completely and dry them on a cloth. Dry roast till crunchy in a heavy bottom pan.
- Cool and make the rava in a blender.
- Heat a pot with oil, allow mustard and cumin to splutter. Add ginger and curry leaves.
- When ginger begins to smell good, fry the veggies for 3 minutes.
- Pour water and add salt.
- Bring the water to a boil, pour the rava slowly while stirring the water to avoid lumps.
- Cook on a low flame till the water dries up.
- Cover and cook for while till the upma is done.
- Allow to rest for a while and fluff up.