chicken butter masala recipe, how to make chicken butter masala
chicken butter masala, a popular restaurant style north indian chicken dish. Similar to the murgh makhani or the butter chicken, but there are variations towards making both the dishes.
To make Murgh makhani, chicken is marinated in yogurt and then grilled. It is cooked in a tomato gravy without the use of onions and then cream is used towards the end. Chicken butter masala is made with an onion tomato gravy and the chicken is just sauted and then added to the onion tomato gravy.
This chicken butter masala recipe is a easy one and can be made under 30 minutes. The recipe yields a smooth delicious and buttery gravy that goes great with any jeera rice, fried rice or roti , naan.
how to make chicken butter masala recipe with step by step photos
chicken butter masala recipe below
- 500 grams boneless chicken
- 1 cup finely chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped riped tomatoes
- 1 green chili slit
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 ½ tsps red chili powder (adjust to suit your taste)
- 1 tsp sugar (optional)
- ¾ tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp kasuri methi
- 2 tbsps. butter
- ⅛ tsp turmeric
- salt to taste
- ¼ cup cream or 3 tbsps. cashew paste
- ¼ cup of yogurt (optional)
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- ½ tsp garam masala
- salt to taste
- 1 bay leaf
- 2” cinnamon stick
- 4 cloves
- 2 green cardamom
- few pepper corn
- Marinate chicken with ingredients mentioned under marination. Set aside till we need it.
- Heat 1 tbsp butter in a pan, fry the spices.
- Add onions and salt, fry till they turn pink.
- Add ginger garlic paste and fry till the raw smell goes off.
- Add tomatoes, turmeric and salt, fry till they turn mushy. Discard the green chili and set aside the bay leaf.
- Transfer this to a mixer and pour 1 cup of ice cold water and grind to smooth (you need not cool the mix if you are using ice cold water).
- Filter this to the same pan, add bay leaf, sugar, garam masala and kasuri methi, and bring this to a boil on a low flame.
- Heat a tbsp. of butter in a tawa and fry the chicken on medium high till all the yogurt dries up and the chicken looks dry. Take care not to burn.
- Transfer this chicken to the boiling gravy, adjust salt, cover and cook till the chicken turns soft and juicy. Takes around 7 to 8 mins. Add cream or cashew paste. If using cream switch off immediately. If using cashew paste, cook till the gravy turns smooth and thick. Water if needed.
for more north indian restaurant style chicken recipes, check
chicken tikka masala