chicken butter masala recipe, how to make chicken butter masala. chicken butter masala, a popular restaurant style north indian chicken dish. Similar to the murgh makhani or the butter chicken, but there are variations towards making both the dishes. To make Murgh makhani, chicken is marinated in yogurt and then grilled. It is cooked in a tomato gravy without the use of onions and then cream is used towards the end. Chicken butter masala is made with an onion tomato gravy and the chicken is just sauted and then added to the onion tomato gravy.
This chicken butter masala recipe is a easy one and can be made under 30 minutes. The recipe yields a smooth delicious and buttery gravy that goes great with any jeera rice, fried rice or roti , naan.
how to make chicken butter masala recipe with step by step photos
1. Marinate chicken with yogurt, red chilli powder, turmeric, ginger garlic paste, garam masala and salt. Set aside until we need it.
2. Heat butter in a pan. Add cinnamon, cloves, pepper, cumin and bay leaf. Saute until they sizzle.
3. Add chopped onions and green chili.
4. When they turn golden, add ginger garlic and saute until the raw smell goes away.
5. Add chopped tomatoes,salt and turmeric.
6. Saute until the tomatoes turn soft and mushy. Then add red chili powder and saute until the mixture leaves the sides.
7. Set aside the bay leaf. You can also remove green chilli. Cool this and blend to a smooth puree with 1 cup water.
8. Mean while saute chicken in a pan. You can use the same pan. I used a different one since i used a steel pan which is not good for frying chicken.
9. Saute until the masala dries up. Set this aside.
10. Filter or Add the puree to the pan along with bay leaf and sugar. Cook until the gravy thickens.
11. Add kasuri methi and garam masala. Adjust salt.
12. When the gravy thickens add chicken. Cook for few minutes or until the chicken is cooked well. Add cream and stir. You can cook for few more mins on a low heat if you do not like the cream smell.
chicken butter masala recipe below
- 500 grams boneless chicken
- 1 cup finely chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped riped tomatoes
- 1 green chili slit
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 ½ tsps red chili powder (adjust to suit your taste)
- 1 tsp sugar (optional)
- ¾ tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp kasuri methi
- 2 tbsps. butter
- ⅛ tsp turmeric
- salt to taste
- ¼ cup cream or cashew milk from 12 cashews
- ¼ cup of yogurt (optional)
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- ½ tsp garam masala
- salt to taste
- 1 bay leaf
- 2” cinnamon stick
- 4 cloves
- 2 green cardamom
- few pepper corn
- Marinate chicken with ingredients mentioned under marination. Set aside till we need it.
- Heat 1 tbsp butter in a pan, fry the spices.
- Add onions, fry till they turn pink.
- Add ginger garlic paste and fry till the raw smell goes off.
- Add tomatoes, turmeric and salt, fry till they turn mushy. Discard the green chili and set aside the bay leaf.
- Cool this and transfer to a mixer and pour 1 cup of water and grind to smooth puree.
- Heat a tbsp. of butter in a tawa and fry the chicken on medium high till all the yogurt dries up and the chicken looks dry. Take care not to burn. Keep this aside.
- Filter the onion tomato puree to the same pan, add bay leaf, sugar, garam masala and kasuri methi, and bring this to a boil on a low flame. Cook until the gravy thickens and a layer of butter is seen on top.
- Transfer this chicken to the thickened gravy, adjust salt, cover and cook till the chicken turns soft and juicy. Takes around 7 to 8 mins. Add cream and cook for few mins on a low flame. If using cashew milk, cook till the gravy turns smooth and thick. Water if needed.
for more north indian restaurant style chicken recipes, check
chicken tikka masala