Cabbage pickle recipe – The idea of making Indian pickle using cabbage may seem very strange to many of us. I was first surprised when cabbage pickle landed on the table for our meal at my MIL’s home. I always hear the hubby appreciating the flavors of that one a lot. I did not taste that nor try since I never used to eat cabbage those days. As years passed by this is one of the most commonly used veggie in my kitchen.
Last week the entire stock of my mango pickle was over and was thinking of trying something else. I was a bit intimidated to try my MIL’s recipe as it requires boiling the tamarind pulp, extracting the tamarind paste and then using it. I am not comfortable trying lengthy recipes. So this recipe was my mum’s idea, a quick and cut short method to make yummy cabbage pickle in just 15 minutes. Ofcourse with a resting time of at least 24 hours. This turned out to be super good. So I made it again to share with you all.
This pickle does not have the flavor of cabbage much in it but has dominant flavors of spice powders and lemon. Yes lemon is the star of this recipe. Apart from infusing the lemony flavor, it reduces the need to use much oil in the recipe. Usually pickles are loaded with lot of oil, but this one isn’t.
South Indian style cabbage pickle recipe
- 1 cup shredded or chopped cabbage
- 2 cloves of garlic or ginger chopped finely
- 1 tbsp mustard
- 1.5 tbsp red chilli powder
- Pinch of methi seeds
- lemon juice as needed
- salt as needed
- 2 tbsps oil
- Follow the instructions below
How to make simple cabbage pickle at home
1. Cut cabbage to large cubes. Wash in ample water. Drain and allow to dry completely on a cloth or colander. I fan dried it over a cotton cloth while I did my rest of the cooking for the day. Make sure cabbage is completely dry. Shred it on a dry chopping board and set aside. Chop ginger or garlic as well.
2. Add mustard and methi seeds to a blender jar.
3. Powder it finely.
4. Add all the ingredients cabbage, chili powder, salt, mustard powder, garlic to a mixing bowl.
5. Pour oil over the mix.
6. Mix everything well and add lemon juice. Adjust salt. The mixture will be fairly dry. Rest it for 6 to 8 hours without refrigeration. After few hours you will see that the cabbage begins to release the juices and shrinks slightly. Mix and refrigerate. I did not bottle the pickle, just left it in the ceramic bowl with a good fitting lid. You can also transfer to a glass jar.
After 24 hours mix it well. After 2 days, check the salt and sourness. I had to add more lemon juice. Mix it again. The pickle comes to a good consistency after 2 days. Transfer to a glass bottle / jar, do not use plastic jars.
It keeps good for about 2 weeks in refrigerator. Use dry spoons to serve the pickle.