Capsicum fry recipe – A super and delicious quick dry capsicum curry that makes a good side dish in a meal to serve with rice or chapathi. It is very uniquely flavorful, healthy and easy to make as well. It goes good in lunch box too and can be made under 20 minutes. The spice powder that is used for this capsicum recipe gives a unique aroma to the curry. It is the same as the vepudu karam which i shared earlier on the blog.
To make this delicious capsicum stir fry, I use a simple spice powder made using chana dal, urad dal and other ingredients. You can replace that using idli podi or any other spice powder like sambar powder or even garam masala.
Capsicum fry recipe or dry capsicum curry
- 2 medium onions sliced or ¾ cup
- 1 ½ cups chopped capsicum / bell pepper
- 2 tsps oil
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp mustard
- salt as needed
- turmeric a pinch
- 1 tsp urad dal
- 1 tsp chana dal
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- 1 tsp dry coconut
- 1 red chili
- ¼ tsp cumin
- ½ garlic clove
- Dry roast the ingredients mentioned under to roast and powder. Cool and make a fine powder.
- Heat oil in a pan and season with cumin and mustard.
- When the cumin and mustard begin to crackle, add onions and fry until golden.
- Add capsicum, turmeric and salt. Fry for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Cover and cook until done to suit your liking.
- Add the spice powder or garam masala. Saute until it begins to smell nice.
- Capsicum fry is ready.
How to make capsicum fry or dry capsicum curry recipe
1. This step is optional, if you do not want to make the spice powder then you can use idli podi or sambar powder or garam masala. To make the spice powder, dry roast red chili, urad dal, chana dal until golden. Switch off the stove and add sesame seeds, coconut, cumin and clove. Cool this and make a fine powder. While these cool you can begin to make the curry.
2. Heat oil in a pan. Add cumin and mustard. I have used yellow mustard as well.
3. When the mustard begin to splutter, add thinly sliced onions.
4. Fry until golden.
5. Add capsicum, turmeric and salt. Fry for 2 to 3 minutes.
6. Cover and cook on a low flame until it is cooked to your liking. You can keep them half cooked or soft cooked. We prefer them slightly crunchy.
7. Add the spice powder we made at step 1. If using garam masala or sambar use it here.
8. Stir until you begin to smell good, just for a minute or two.
Capsicum stir fry or dry capsicum curry is ready to serve with rice or chapathi.