Capsicum rice recipe – A spicy capsicum pulao that can be made under 30 minutes. It goes good in lunch box or for a quick dinner and is kids’ friendly. It tastes very flavorful and delicious so does not need any side but to make a complete meal, it can be served with a simple raita and papad.
If making for the kids’ reduce the amount of masala and red chilli powder. I usually set aside a small quantity of cooked white rice and then towards the end i add it to the kids’ portion of pulao to make it less spicy, add a bit more of salt if needed. I have used green peas, you can substitute with potato and can be garnished with cashew nuts.
Easy capsicum rice recipe
- 2 cups rice (uncooked)
- 1 star anise / biryani flower
- 1 bay leaf / briyani leaf
- 1 inch cinnamon stick / dalchini
- 6 cloves / laung
- 1 strand mace / javitri
- 4 green cardamoms / elaichi
- ½ tsp shahi jeera or jeera
- oil as needed
- 1 medium to large onion thinly sliced
- 1 green chili slit
- ¾ to 1 tbsp. ginger garlic paste
- ½ cup green peas or potato (optional)
- 1½ to 2 cups chopped capsicums
- handful of mint/ pudina and coriander leaves
- 1½ tsps garam masala or biryani masala (adjust as needed)
- ½ tsp red chili powder (skip if included in masala)
- generous pinch of turmeric
- salt as needed
- 2 tbsp. water
- lemon juice as needed (optional)
- Wash rice and cook till slightly grainy. Cool it.
- While the rice cooks, make the capsicum masala ready.
- Heat oil and fry dry spices till it turns aromatic.
- Add onions and chili fry until the onions turn slightly pink.
- Add ginger garlic paste and saute till the raw smell goes away.
- Add capsicum, green peas and fry for 3 minutes.
- Add mint, coriander, spice powders and salt.
- Fry for about 2 minutes till the mixture turns aromatic.
- Add the 2 tbsp. water and cook on a low flame till the water evaporates.
- When the rice is cooked , cool it and then add to the capsicum mixture along with lemon rice and salt.
- Mix well. Serve capsicum rice warm with a raita.
How to make capsicum rice recipe
1. Wash, soak rice for at least 15 to 20 minutes. Drain and cook to grainy but cooked completely. Soaking helps to keep the rice soft for long hours.
2. While the rice cooks, add oil to a pan. Add the dry spices – shahi jeera, cardamom, cloves, cinnamon, star anise, mace and bay leaf. Saute till they sizzle.
3. Add onions, chili and fry until the onions turn transparent. For kids skip green chilli.
4. Add ginger garlic paste.
5. Fry until the raw smell is gone.
6. Add capsicum, peas or potato. If using potatoes, chop them small else they don’t cook quickly. Fry for about 3 minutes.
7. Add salt, turmeric, chili powder, masala powder, chopped pudina and coriander.
8. Stir and fry for about 2 minutes.
9. Sprinkle 2 tbsp. Water and cook on a low flame for the aroma of capsicum and masala to come out. Evaporate the water completely but do not dry up otherwise the pulao will be very dry. The mixture must be moist. If using potatoes you may need to add more water to cook.
10. Add rice and sprinkle salt. Do not add very hot rice, if it is slightly hot its fine.
11. Mix well and add lemon juice.
After 45 minutes to 1 hour, the rice gets a deeper color due to the spice powders, lemon juice and red pepper. Serve capsicum rice with papad or curd.
If making capsicum rice in less quantity than what is mentioned below, reduce the amount of spices proportionately.
You may also like to check more rice recipes here.