carrot rice recipe – Quick rice recipe for the busy days, can make it for lunch, dinner or for lunch box. This carrot rice can be made using grated carrots or finely chopped carrots to suit your liking or your convenience.This rice can be made in 2 ways, sharing both the versions. The second method can be made in a pressure cooker. You can also use green peas or corn to make this and skip cashews. More details mentioned below.
method 1 – how to make carrot rice
1. Heat oil in a pan. If using cashews, golden fry them and set aside. Saute dry spices. I used bay leaf, shahi jeera, cardamoms, cinnamon and cloves. You can also replace them with curry leaves, mustard, cumin and urad dal. I have made several times that way too, the rice has more of curry leaves flavor.
2. Add chopped or sliced onions and fry until they turn lightly golden or brown.
3. Add ginger garlic paste and fry until the raw smell goes off.
4. Add grated or finely chopped carrots and saute for a while. If using green peas or corn you can add them now. If using corn from the cob they need to be boiled first until tender and then use here. If using frozen corn or peas, just rinse them and use.
5. Add salt and cook on a low flame until done.
6. Add red chili powder, garam masala and pudina leaves or coriander leaves. If making for young kids, you can skip red chili powder. Mix everything well and fry for a minute.
6. If using grated carrots, skip this step. Cover the pan and cook on a low flame for 1 to 2 minutes. This helps the veggies to absorb the flavors well. The mixture is slightly moist now, this prevents the rice from becoming dry even when stored in lunch box for few hours.
7. Switch off the stove. Add cooked and cooled rice, sprinkle salt. I also use little extra virgin olive oil.
8. Mix everything well. I usually add hot rice to the pan and sprinkle salt and oil. Set aside to cool completely. I mix it later when cooled. Add cashews if using. If using corn or peas, you can skip cashews.
carrot rice can also be served with a simple raita or a bowl of plain curd. For the lunch box, i pack with a simple vegetable stir fry. This time it was the baby corn capsicum stir fry.
You can find method 2, a one pot method after the recipe card.
find carrot rice recipe by Swasthi
- 1 cup rice (uncooked)
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 small bay leaf
- ½ tsp shahi jeera
- 2 green cardamoms
- 2 cloves
- 1 small cinnamon stick
- 1 medium onion
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste or grated ginger
- 2 carrots grated or 1 cup chopped finely
- handful of coriander leaves or pudina (mint)
- ¾ tsp garam masala (adjust)
- ¼ to ½ tsp red chili powder (optional)
- cashews as needed (optional)
- salt as needed
- Wash and soak rice for about 20 minutes. Cook it grainy and set aside.
- Heat and pan with oil and fry all the dry spices until they crackle.
- Add onions and saute until transparent or golden.
- Saute ginger garlic paste till the raw smell vanishes.
- Add carrots and saute for one to two minutes.
- Sprinkle salt and mix. Cook till the veggies are cooked.
- Add spice powders- chili powder, masala powder and mint / coriander leaves.
- Stir and saute for a minute for the raw smell of chili powder to go off.
- Cover and cook on a low heat if using chopped carrots and not grated.
- Add cooked and cooled rice and sprinkle some salt.
- Add fried nuts if you desire.
- Mix everything well and serve with a raita.
METHOD 2 – one pot method. Can make in pressure cooker or in a pot
This method works good with only chopped carrots. You can also use peas and corn. Same Instructions to follow till step 6 from the step by step instructions.
7. Add 1 and a ¾ cups water and bring it to a boil.
8. Adjust salt as needed. Add soaked and drained rice to the boiling water.
9. Cook until rice is done. If cooking in pressure cooker, cook until water is almost evaporated.
10. While the rice is still soggy, cover the cooker with a lid and cook on a very low flame for 3 to 4 minutes.
11. When the pressure goes off, open the lid .Carrot rice is ready, sprinkle some chopped coriander leaves.