chana chaat recipe – easy chaat with simple ingredients.
Chickpeas are rich in fiber, calcium and protein too. These are suitable to everyone from the diabetic to normal folks since they have a low GI. They can be a good source of calcium and protein for vegans.
This chana chaat can be made using kabuli chana or kala channa as well. I do not follow any particular recipe to make a chaat. Spice, tang, sweetness with a good amount of chopped onions, tomatoes and cucumber is all that needed to make a good chat.
chana chaat makes a wonderful breakfast, a mid-morning snack or an after school snack too. If consumed as breakfast, it can keep you going for hours by keeping you full. You can alter the ingredients to suit your taste.
find chana chaat recipe below
- ½ cup of chickpeas / chana / senagalu (measure before soaking)
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 small tomato chopped
- ¼ cup cucumber chopped (optional)
- Few sprigs of coriander leaves
- 1 to 2 green chili chopped
- ½ to 1 tsp. thick tamarind paste or lemon juice(adjust as needed)
- ¼ to ½ tsp. dates syrup or honey (or tamarind dates chutney and skip tamarind paste)
- ⅛ tsp. dry ginger powder (sonti podi)
- ½ tsp. amchur powder (dry mango powder)
- Chaat masala as needed
- Pepper powder as desired
- Khara boondi or sev or any other crunches as desired
- Wash soak chickpeas in lot of water for at least 6 to 8 hrs, keep changing the water if soaking for longer to avoid odor.
- Pressure cook chickpeas till soft. You can pressure cook for 2 whistles with little water. You can even cook in a pot with enough water to cover them. Cook till they turn soft. Cool them completely.
- Add the rest of the ingredients .Toss well.
- Serve chana chaat with boondi or sev (mixture) topped on it.
more chaat recipes