Cheese sandwich recipe – Simple & quick grilled cheese sandwich made on tawa or pan. However these can also be made in a toaster, griller or oven. To make cheese sandwich one or more kinds of cheese can be used with optional ingredients like vegetables, cooked meat, fried eggs, scrambled eggs and even mayonnaise.
Fresh or dried herbs, & ground pepper, red chili flakes or any sauce can also be used for flavoring. I am sharing a simple plain cheese sandwich recipe made with oregano, red chili flakes and pepper.
Grilled cheese sandwich recipe
- 4 slices of bread (prefer whole grain)
- 2 to 4 slices of cheese or grated cheese as needed (refer notes)
- Butter as needed
- Fresh or dried herbs like oregano, basil or rosemary or coriander leaves
- ½ to 1 tsp Red chili flakes or green chilies (skip for kids)
- ½ to 1 tsp pepper crushed
- Heat a pan and place 2 buttered bread slices on it.
- Grill until golden. Place the cheese on the hot bread and sprinkle chilies & herbs.
- Cover the bread with another slice with the hotter side over the cheese.
- On a low to medium heat , grill it until golden and the cheese begin to melt.
- Halve the sandwiches and serve.
- Smear softened butter over the bread slices and place the cheese.
- Add other ingredients. Cover and toast in a sandwich toaster or oven. If using a oven, grill them in a preheated oven at 220 to 230 C on a wired rack for best results. It takes about 6 to 7 minutes.
- Serve them hot or warm.
How to make grilled cheese sandwich recipe
1. Add butter to a hot pan and place the bread slices. You can also smear the softened butter over the slices. If your butter isn’t soft, then you can also add it to the hot pan.
2. Toast until golden on one side of both the slices.
3. Flip one of them and place a cheese slice or grated cheese. Sprinkle the flavorings you desire like pepper, red chili flakes and oregano. Place the golden side over the cheese.
4. Flip and toast on both the sides on a medium heat until the cheese melts off.
5. Take care not to burn.
Halve the grilled cheese sandwich and serve hot or warm.