chettinad chicken , based on the authentic recipe many modern versions have been derived, especially by the restaurateurs. Over the years, I got to taste a few which almost tasted same except the texture and the hint of spices.
chettinad chicken recipe, shared here is the one I felt close to the restaurant style chettinad chicken curry. After several trials I arrived at this and can say this is one of the best flavourful south Indian chicken curry.
chettinad chicken curry recipe is roughly adapted from nita mehta’s cook book. chettinad masala is usually prepared with red chilies , but I somehow did not get an appealing color, so I replaced them with red chili powder.
chettinad chicken with step by step pictures
1. Dry roast all the ingredients mentioned under the chettinad masala, roast lightly one after the other without burning.Cool them and powder poppy seeds first to a fine powder and then add rest of the ingredients and make a fine paste with little water.
2. marinate chicken with ingredients under marination.
3. heat a pan with oil and bay leaf if you desire, i skipped it. add onions and fry till transparent to golden. Golden gives a good taste to the curry, since i cooked in a stainless steel pan, they don’t turn to golden.
4. Add chicken and fry for about 4 to 5 minutes for the raw smell of the ginger garlic to go away.
5. Filter the pureed tomatoes to the pan.
6. Add red chili powder, if you are not using red chili to roast and grind. Add salt and turmeric as well.
7. Fry till the mixture begins to leave oil. Add the ground paste and curry leaves. Fry again for 2 to 3 minutes.
8.Add water as needed.
9. Cook covered till the chicken is fully cooked, soft and tender. I garnished with fried curry leaves.
serve with rice or phulka.
chettinad chicken or chicken chettinad curry recipe below
- 500 grams or ½ kg chicken
- 2 to 3 tbsp. Oil
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 1 to 2 sprigs of curry leaves
- 2 medium tomatoes (pureed)
- 1 bay leaf
- ⅛ tsp turmeric
- ¼ tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp. Lemon juice or yogurt
- 4 garlic cloves + 1 “ginger or 1 tbsp. ginger garlic paste
- Salt as needed
- 1 tbsp. Poppy seeds or 6 to 8 cashews
- ¼ cup of grated coconut
- 2 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp pepper corn
- 3 to 5 red chilies (or 1 tsp red chili powder)
- 2 green cardamoms
- 3 cloves
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- Marinate the chicken with marination ingredients. Set aside
- Dry roast all the ingredients lightly one after the other, listed under roast and grind for chettinad masala. Set aside to cool
- Grind poppy seeds to a smooth powder without water, then add the spices, powder to fine and add water and make a smooth paste. Set aside
- Grind tomatoes to smooth.
- Heat oil in a pan, add bay leaf, onions and fry till they turn translucent, golden is better.
- Add chicken, fry for at least 4 to 5 mins
- Filter pureed tomatoes to the pan, add turmeric, salt, chili powder. Mix well & fry till the oil begins to separate.
- Add the ground paste and curry leaves. Fry for 2 to 3 mins.
- Add 1 ¼ cup water. Cover & cook till the chicken is fully done, soft and tender. The gravy becomes thick by then. If not cook the chicken without a lid & evaporate some water. Add more water if needed to get the desired consistency.
- Serve with rice or phulka.
for more chicken curry recipes, check
chicken curry without coconut
andhra chicken curry
kerala chicken curry