chicken 65 recipe, Learn with step by step photos how to make chicken 65 recipe at home – a popular South Indian restaurant style chicken starter
There are so many ways of making chicken 65, all totally different from one another with different styles Andhra style or hyderabadi style, Madurai style, restaurant style etc. I have tried quite a lot and ended up concluding this as one of the best chicken 65 recipe, which is worth serving as a starter for any parties.
chicken 65 recipe has roughly been adapted from vahchef’s recipe, I have tried it countless number of times since 5 years (much before I became a food blogger). It has never turned me down even when I make this for a crowd. The changes, I made to the original recipe is I use a freshly ground homemade garlic chili seasoning instead of the store bought one which he suggests. It took a while for me to come out with a good spicy flavorful seasoning.
to make a hyderabadi chicken 65, you can use yogurt for marination as well for seasoning. However it is optional.
I prefer not to use egg since it makes the chunks soggy and smelly once cooled down. This recipe can be made even without yogurt and egg if you desire. The result will still be juicy and soft chicken. If you make the chicken 65 without egg, it can be kept for few hrs while there will be no change in the taste and flavor. It can be refrigerated for later use and heated as well. But eating reheated meat often is not a good idea.
For more Indian chicken starters, check
popular Indo chinese chilli chicken
Restaurant style tandoori chicken
easy & quick hot garlic chicken
andhra or hyderabadi chicken majestic
delicious tandoori chicken tikka
crispy crunchy chicken pakoda
some of the readers often ask me tips to make soft and tender chunks of chicken like we get in restaurants. My only tip is to use yogurt or soak the meat in buttermilk overnight. If you don’t have the time to soak it overnight, then i suggest using very little yogurt to make soft and tender chicken. I did try this last weekend and able to get very nice andhra style chicken 65. Hence updating the post with new pics and more tips.
This recipe can be doubled and tripled easily, just keep an eye on the chilli powder and garlic used.
step by step photos on how to make chicken 65 recipe
1. Marinate chicken with ginger garlic paste, red chili powder, lemon juice or yogurt , pepper powder or garam masala, turmeric and very little salt.
2. For a restaurant flavor, you can also add very finely chopped curry leaves. Keep it aside for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Overnight makes the meat chunks super soft.
3. Add corn flour and maida or rice flour.
4. Mix well using very little water or egg. one egg for half kg chicken. If you have used yogurt no need to use egg. But if you have not used yogurt, i suggest using egg since it will locks the meat juices and prevent it from becoming hard when fried. Since i have used yogurt i did not use egg.
5. Heat oil and deep fry until golden.
6. Drain them on a kitchen tissue.
7. To a bowl, add garlic paste, red chili powder, salt, very little sugar and yogurt or vinegar with 2 tbsp. water. To remove the pungent taste of garlic very little sugar is used but that doesn’t sweeten the dish. Some restaurants use yogurt, some use vinegar. To make andhra style chicken65 use yogurt.
8. Transfer the oil to a bowl from the pan and retain just 1/2 to 1 tbsp. oil. Add garlic, when it is lightly fried add cumin, chilies and curry leaves.
9. When the curry leaves turn crisp, add the mixture we just made above.
10. Allow it to thicken a bit.
11. Add the fried chicken and saute for 2 to 3 minutes to coat the mixture well.
Delicious, juicy chicken starter is ready, serve with onion wedges.
Here is the popular restaurant style chicken 65 recipe by Swasthi
- 250 to 300 grams of boneless tender chicken
- 1 egg white or whole egg for half kg chicken (optional, refer notes)
- 2 tbsp. Corn flour
- 1 tbsp rice flour or cornflour
- oil for deep frying
- ½ tbsp. ginger garlic paste
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp. lemon juice or 1½ tbsp. yogurt (don’t use sour curd)
- ½ tsp pepper powder
- ⅛ tsp turmeric
- Salt to taste
- ½ tsp cumin / jeera
- ½ tsp chopped garlic
- ½ tsp pepper powder
- 2 green chilies
- Few sprigs Curry leaves
- ¾ tsp red chili powder
- ½ tsp sugar (removes pungent taste from garlic)
- 2 cloves of garlic paste
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp. Thick yogurt (or 1 tsp vinegar with 2 tbsp. water)
- Wash chicken under running water and drain off completely. Marinate it with marination ingredients. Set aside for at least 45 mins to 1 hour. Overnight yields the best soft chicken.
- Make the seasoning mixture. Add red chili powder, sugar, garlic paste, salt, yogurt or vinegar with 2 tbsp. water. Set this aside.
- Sprinkle the dry flour over the marinade. If you chose to use egg, you can use. Mix well. If needed sprinkle little water for a good binding.
- Heat oil in a deep pan until hot enough to fry the meat, fry till they are cooked fully and golden. Stir while frying for even frying. Drain them on a kitchen tissue.
- Heat a pan with 1 tbsp. oil, add curry leaves, green chilies and cumin, fry till the leaves turn crisp. You can set aside few for garnish.
- Add the seasoning mixture we prepared above and let it begin to bubble.
- Add the friedchicken and toss and fry on medium heat till the it absorbs all the moisture and the raw smell of garlic disappears. Over frying can make the it hard, so switch off in time.serve with onion wedges.