chicken 65 recipe, Learn with step by step photos how to make chicken 65 recipe at home – a popular South Indian restaurant style chicken starter
There are so many variations of making chicken 65, all totally different from one another with different styles Andhra style or hyderabadi style, Madurai style, restaurant style etc. I have tried quite a lot and ended up concluding this as one of the best chicken 65 recipe, which is worth serving as a starter for any parties.
chicken 65 recipe has roughly been adapted from vahchef’s recipe, I have tried it countless number of times since 5 years (much before I became a food blogger). It has never turned me down even when I make this for a crowd. The changes, I made to the original recipe is I use a freshly ground homemade garlic chili paste instead of the store bought one which he suggests, which took a while for to try out and come up with the best chilli garlic paste or sauce.
to make a hyderabadi chicken 65, you can use yogurt for marination as well for seasoning. However it is optional.
I prefer not to use egg since it makes the chunks soggy and smelly once cooled down. This recipe can be made even without yogurt and egg if you desire. The result will still be juicy and soft chicken. If you make the chicken 65 without egg and yogurt, it can be kept for few hrs while there will be no change in the taste and flavor. It can be refrigerated for later use and heated as well.
For more Indian chicken starters, check
popular chilli chicken
hot and spicy green chilli chicken
Restaurant style tandoori chicken
easy garlic chicken
andhra chicken majestic
delicious chicken tikka
crispy chicken pakoda
step by step photos on how to make chicken 65 recipe
1. Mix 1/2 tsp red chili powder, crushed garlic, sugar, salt, vinegar and little water. Make a smooth paste. set aside. OR remove the seeds from chilies and add them along with salt, garlic, sugar and vinegar to a blender and make a fine paste adding 15 ml water.
2. Marinate chicken with ginger garlic paste, red chili powder, lemon juice or yogurt , pepper powder, turmeric and very little salt. Keep it aside for 15 minutes. If you have time refrigerate for 2 hours to overnight, this makes the chicken super soft.
3. Sprinkle corn flour, and egg or egg white whatever you are using and mix well until combined with chicken. I don’t use egg.If needed just sprinkle 1 to 2 tbsp. water to bind the flour.
4. Heat oil in a fry pan until hot, fry chicken on a medium heat and stir occasionally for even frying. Drain these on an absorbant tissues. Fry the entire chicken in batches.
5. Add oil to a pan and heat it for seasoning, fry cumin, curry leaves, chilies and garlic. You could set aside few curry leaves and garlic for garnish.
6. Add the chili garlic paste, allow it to bubble.
To make hyderabadi chicken 65 recipe, add 2 tbsp. yogurt and allow it to thicken.
7. Add chicken, stir well and fry on medium flame till the raw smell goes off. Keep stirring to prevent burning until the spice paste clings on to the chicken and looks almost dry.
8. Delicious, juicy chicken starter is ready, serve with onion wedges.
Here is the popular restaurant style chicken 65 recipe below
- 250 to 300 grams of boneless tender chicken
- 1 egg or egg white (optional, refer notes)
- 2 to 3 tbsp. Corn flour
- oil for deep frying
- 3 to 5 red chilies (remove the seeds)
- 5 garlic cloves
- ½ tsp sugar
- 1 tsp vinegar (optional, but recommended)
- Salt to taste
- ½ tbsp. ginger garlic paste
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp. lemon juice or 1½ tbsp. yogurt (don’t use sour curd)
- ½ tsp pepper powder
- ⅛ tsp turmeric
- Salt to taste
- ½ tsp cumin / jeera
- ½ tsp chopped garlic (optional)
- ½ tsp cumin powder (optional)
- ½ tsp pepper powder
- 2 green chilies
- Few sprigs Curry leaves
- 1½ to 2 tbsp yogurt (optional, do not use sour)
- Wash chicken under running water and drain off completely. Marinate it with marination ingredients and set aside for at least 15 mins. If you have the time refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Blend all the ingredients under chili garlic paste with 15 ml water to a smooth paste.
- Sprinkle the dry corn flour over the marinated chicken. If you chose to use egg, you can use. mix well.If needed sprinkle little water for a good binding.
- Heat oil in a deep pan until hot enough to fry the chicken, fry chicken till they are cooked fully. Stir while frying for even frying. Drain them on a kitchen tissue.
- Heat a pan with 1 tbsp. oil, add curry leaves, green chilies and cumin, fry till the leaves turn crisp and set aside for garnish.
- Add the chilli garlic paste and let it begin to bubble. If using yogurt add it now and allow to thicken a bit.
- When the sauces begin to bubble, add the fried chicken and toss and fry on medium heat till the chicken absorbs all the sauce and the raw smell of garlic disappears. Over frying can make the chicken hard, so switch off in time.serve with onion wedges
you can use any ready made chilli garlic paste, but this chicken 65 recipe is recommended with the paste mentioned in the recipe.