How to make hyderabadi muslim chicken dum biryani in pakki method
Hyderabad dum biryani, a classic dish of the Mughal Nizams is an eye-catching aromatic rice loved by all. We all love biryanis, but when it comes to preparing them most of us, step back because of the tedious process. But trust me, once you get used to the right process, it is such an easy breezy way of making restaurant style biryanis. You will adore it.
There are 2 methods of making this hyderabadi muslim chicken biryani – kacha (kachi) Method and Pakki Method. In Kachi method the raw ingredients are just marinated and placed at the botom of a utensil and layered with partially cooked rice, saffron etc. Sealed & cooked on a slow dum process, trapping the steam inside for even cooking. Pakki is the other method where the meat and rice are cooked separately and then the rice, saffron etc are layered, sealed and cooked on a dum process for a shorter span.The authentic way of cooking these biryanis is by sealing the mouth of the utensil with dough to trap the steam and aroma.
Earlier I had posted hyderabadi chicken dum biryani recipe (kachi method), today will be sharing the pakki method. Same ingredients are used in both the methods, only the cooking procedure differs. Both taste same too, except that the meat in kachi biryani is soft, mouth melting and more aromatic.
Using a pressure cooker too we can trap the dum but only for pakki biryani. Do not let it whistle, this is one of the simplest and mess free methods, if you are worried that rice might get burnt beneath, just place it over a hot tawa and cook for 10 mins on a low to medium flame.
If you are looking for more chicken biryani recipes, take a look at my simple chicken biryani, andhra chicken biryani, chicken biryani in pressure cooker
step by step photos on how to make hyderabadi chicken dum biryani in pakki method
hyderabadi chicken biryani recipe below
- Fat Pinch of nutmeg or 2 small pinches
- 5 cardamoms
- ¼ to ½ tsp. Pepper corn
- 5 to 6 cloves
- 2 inch cinnamon stick
- ½ to 1 tsp. fennel seeds / saunf
- ¼ to ½ tsp. stone flower / kalapasi / dhagad phool
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 small black cardamom
- 4 green cardamoms
- 4 to 5 cloves
- 2 inch Cinnamon stick
- 1 Star anise
- 2 small strands of mace
- ½ tsp. shahi jeera
- 500 to 600 grams chicken pieces
- 2 cups aged basmathi rice
- 1½ cups fresh curd / yogurt
- 3 tbsps. Oil
- Salt as needed
- ¼ tsp. turmeric
- ¼ tsp. red chili powder
- 1 tsp. kewra or rose water
- 18 to 20 mint leaves / pudina chopped finely
- 12 to 15 small stems of coriander leaves, leaves plucked
- 2 tsps. Ginger garlic paste
- 3 green chilies
- Boiled eggs as needed (optional)
- Pinch of saffron added to 1 tbsps. Hot milk
- Soak rice for at least 20 mins.
- Wash chicken under running water, drain off the water completely and marinate with lemon juice, salt and turmeric. Rub the meat with the marination for about 5 minutes keep this aside.
- Cook rice till 75% cooked. Drain off the rice to a colander and set aside to cool.
- Chop slice onions, keep them aside for later use.
- Pluck the mint and coriander leaves and wash in lot of water, set them to drain. chop them and set aside
- Powder all the ingredients mentioned under “To powder” in a blender. Transfer this to a plate and keep it for later use.
- Heat milk and add saffron. set this aside
- Heat a heavy bottom pan, add spices mentioned under “To temper”. Let them crackle.
- Add the onions and fry till golden, set aside a few for garnish.
- Add ginger garlic paste and fry till the raw smell goes off.
- Add marinated chicken, and fry for about 3 to 4 minutes
- Add red chili powder, masala powder, salt, yogurt, mint and coriander leaves and turmeric
- Cover and cook on a low flame until the meat turns tender and soft cooked. You will be left with a thick gravy.
- Layer the rice evenly, if using boiled eggs add them, sprinkle the chopped coriander and mint leaves. Pour the saffron milk.
- Cover the pot with a tight lid .Place the biryani utensil on a hot tawa and dum it for about 10 minutes on a low flame. Switch off the stove.
This is an updated post, the pic you see below is an image which was posted earlier