easy chicken biryani in pressure cooker that tastes delicious, flavorful and can be made in a jiffy. This chicken biryani can be prepared in a casserole or pressure cooker too. Iam also sharing a instant biryani masala powder , if you do not have a readymade masala powder, you can make it in just few minutes.
chicken biryani in pressure cooker can be made under 30 minutes, no marination is needed and this can be refrigerated well for about 48 hours. Very simple to make, bachelors can make it too. If you do not have a blender for making ginger garlic paste, mince them well and with the bottom of a glass crush them on the chopping board.
To make chicken biryani in pressure cooker, you need to use tomato or yogurt or lemon juice to get the tang and to tenderize the chicken.
related recipes: hyderabadi chicken dum biryani>
find chicken biryani in pressure cooker recipe below
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 green cardamoms
- 4 cloves
- Small Cinnamon stick
- 1 Star anise
- 2 strands of mace
- ½ tsp. shahi jeera
- ½ kg chicken
- 2 cups of aged basmathi rice
- 3 ½ cups water or thin coconut milk(if using normal rice use little more water)
- 2 to 3 tbsp. Oil
- Salt as needed
- ¼ tsp. turmeric
- ¼ tsp. red chili powder
- 1 medium tomato or ¼ cup curd / yogurt or lemon juice
- 12 mint leaves / pudina finely chopped
- coriander leaves from 12 stems finely chopped
- 1 tbsp. ginger garlic paste
- 2 to 3 green chilies sliced or chopped
- 1 large onion sliced thinly
- Very small nutmeg piece
- 4 cardamoms
- ¼ to ½ tsp. Pepper corn
- 5 cloves
- Small cinnamon stick
- ½ tsp. fennel seeds / saunf
- ½ tsp. stone flower / kalapasi (optional)
- Soak rice for at least 10 to 30 minutes. If using normal rice (not basmathi) soak it for 30 minutes.
- Add oil to a pressure cooker and heat it. Add the dry spices and saute till they begin to sizzle.
- Add onions and fry till they turn golden, add ginger garlic and fry till the raw smell goes off.
- Add chicken and fry till the color changes to white for about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add chopped tomatoes or yogurt, red chili powder, masala powder, turmeric and salt.
- Cook till the mixture turns thick or dry. If using yogurt make sure the mixture is thick like a gravy and not watery. By now the chicken should be almost cooked soft. If you do not use yogurt or tomato, sprinkle little water and cook till chicken is soft.
- Add mint and coriander leaves and fry till you get a nice smell.
- Pour water or thin coconut milk and bring it to a boil.
- Drain off the rice completely and add it to the cooker.
- Cook till the water very little is left, cover the pressure cooker lid and turn on the flame to very low. If using basmathi rice, cook it for about 5 minutes, do not let it whistle. If using normal rice that is slightly on the harder side to cook allow it to whistle once.
- Let the pressure go down. Fluff up the rice with a fork. Or transfer it immediately to a wide utensil to prevent turning mushy.
- If desired you can drizzle one spoon of ghee, lemon juice and few mint or coriander leaves.
- Serve chicken biryani in pressure cooker with onion raita or biryani shorba or sherva.