Easy chicken biryani in pot or pressure cooker that tastes delicious, flavorful and can be made in a jiffy. You can also find my video on how to make easy chicken biryani recipe at the end of this post. This is one of the recipes, I have tried my best to keep simple and explain very well for the beginners so that you do not go wrong. I highly recommend beginners to watch the video which i have shared at the end of this post.
This chicken biryani can be prepared in a pot or casserole or pressure cooker too. You can use any ready made garam masala powder or biryani masala. Iam also sharing a instant biryani masala powder, if you do not have a readymade or store bought masala, you can make it in just few minutes.
This can be made under 30 minutes, one of the best for beginners, students or bachelors. If you do not have a blender for making ginger garlic paste, mince them well and with the bottom of a glass crush them on the chopping board.
To make chicken biryani in a pot or pressure cooker, you need to use yogurt or curd to get the tang and to tenderize the chicken. You will be surprised at how easy and delicious this turns out to be.
Chicken biryani in pot or pressure cooker recipe below
- 1 bay leaf / tej patta
- 3 green cardamoms / choti elaichi
- 4 to 6 cloves / lavang
- Small Cinnamon stick / dalchini
- 1 Star anise / chakri phool
- ½ tsp. shahi jeera / caraway seeds
- 1 ½ tbsp curd/ yogurt
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- Salt as needed
- ¼ tsp. turmeric / haldi
- ¼ tsp. red chilli powder / lal mirch powder
- ½ to ¾ tsp biryani masala or garam masala powder
- ½ kg chicken
- 2 cups of aged basmati rice / chawal
- 3 ¼ cups water or thin coconut milk(if using normal rice use little more water)
- 2 tbsp. Oil
- Salt as needed
- 1 medium tomato (about half cup)
- 1 ½ tbsp curd/ yogurt
- 12 mint leaves / pudina finely chopped
- coriander leaves from 12 stems finely chopped
- 1 ½ tsp ginger garlic paste
- 2 green chilies / hari mirch sliced or chopped
- 1 large onion sliced thinly
- ¼ tsp. red chili powder
- Very small nutmeg piece / jaiphal
- 4 green cardamoms/ choti elaichi
- ¼ to ½ tsp. Pepper corn / kali mirch
- 5 cloves / lavang
- Small cinnamon stick / dalchini
- ½ tsp. fennel seeds / saunf
- ½ tsp. stone flower / dagad phool/ kalapasi (optional)
- Soak rice for at least 20 to 30 minutes. If using normal rice (not basmati) soak it for 30 minutes.
- Marinate chicken using ingredients under marination. Set this aside.
- Add oil to a pot or pressure cooker and heat it. Add the dry spices and saute till they begin to sizzle.
- Add onions and fry till they turn golden. Add ginger garlic paste and fry till the raw smell goes off.
- Add chicken and fry till the color slightly changes to pale.
- Add chopped tomatoes, yogurt, red chili powder, corinader leaves and mint.
- Cook till the mixture turns thick and dry. By now the chicken should be almost cooked soft.
- Add the rest of the masala powder and fry till you get a nice smell.
- Mix together water or thin coconut milk and salt in a separate bowl. Check the salt , it must be slightly salty. Since salt is already added to marination, use little only. Pour this to a the chicken pot, bring it to a boil.
- Drain off the rice completely and add it to the pot or cooker.
- Cook till the water very little is left. Cover the pot or pressure cooker with a lid. Turn on the flame to very low. If using basmati rice, cook it for about 3 to 5 minutes, do not let it whistle. If using normal rice that is slightly on the harder side to cook allow it to whistle once. If cooking in pot, cook until the rice is done. If rice is under cooked, you can also sprinkle little water and cook further.
- Let the pressure go down. Fluff up the rice with a fork. Or transfer it immediately to a wide utensil to prevent turning mushy.
- If desired you can drizzle one spoon of ghee, coriander leaves and roasted boiled eggs.
- Serve with onion raita or biryani shorba or sherva.
How to make easy chicken biryani recipe
1. Add chicken, ginger garlic paste, red chili powder, masala powder, 1 ½ tbsp.curd/ yogurt, salt and turmeric to a pot.
2. Mix everything well and set aside. For how long to marinate depends on your convenience. The longer you marinate, the softer chicken it yields. But keeping it for at least 30 mins to 1 hour is suggested. You can also marinate the previous night or for few hours and refrigerate. Cover the bowl and wrap in a plastic bag / cover and refrigerate.
3. Wash rice and soak it for 30 minutes. Drain off the water completely and set aside. Add oil to a pressure cooker or a heavy bottom pot or non stick. Saute cinnamon, cloves, shahi jeera, cardamoms until they begin to sizzle. If you have you can also use mace, dagad phool and star anise / star flower.
4. Add onions and fry until they turn transparent or golden is better if you have time.
5. Add ginger garlic paste and fry until the raw smell is gone completely.
6. Add chicken and saute.
7. Saute until it turns pale or whitish.
8. Add coriander, pudina, chopped tomato, red chili powder, 1 ½ tbsp. curd.
9. Mix and fry until the tomatoes turn mushy completely. If using large chicken leg pieces, you can cover and cook at this moment. Add biryani masala or garam masala powder. Stir and saute for 1 minute. Moisture should evaporate completely. You can check the video to find how exactly i cook. By this step chicken is almost cooked.
10. Add 3 ¼ cups water and little more salt to a separate bowl. Stir and check if the salt is enough. It must be lightly salty. We have already added salt for marination so a little is enough. Then add it to the pan and bring it to a boil.
11. Add drained rice and stir.
12. Cook until the water almost evaporates but still soggy.
13. Cover and cook on a medium flame until the rice is fully cooked. Some variety rice needs more water, if the rice is uncooked, you can sprinkle little water. If using normal rice you may need to add ¼ cup more water.
14. If you are cooking in a pressure cooker, cover it at this stage and cook for just 3 to minutes on the lowest flame. Do not allow the cooker to whistle if using basmathi rice. If using normal rice, then you can allow to whistle once.
15. When the pressure is off, open the lid. Sprinkle chopped coriander leaves and add boiled eggs. fluff up gently and cover and allow to rest for a while. Serve with onion raita.