An Muslim Style, easy chicken biryani in pressure cooker that tastes delicious. The green masala can be prepared well in advance and stays good for a week, if refrigerated. We call this as the green chicken biryani or hariyali chicken biryani. Needs no masala powder. I have adapted the pressure cooker method but can be cooked in a casserole too.
1 cup basmathi rice
1 cup coconut milk (extracted from ½ cup of chopped coconut pieces or can use store bought) (optional)
¾ cup water
1 bay leaf
2 tbsps lemon juice
250 gms chicken
Salt to taste
3 to 4 tbsps oil or ghee
Spices (to powder)
1 black cardamom
5 green cardamom
3 inch cinnamon stick
2 strands mace
½ tsp cumin or shahi jeera
Few pepper corn
1 cup packed coriander leaves
½ cup packed mint leaves
1/3 cup of chopped onions
3 green chilies
1. Soak the rice for 10 mins and set aside. Meanwhile carry on with next step
2. Powder all the spices mentioned (to powder)
3. Add the ingredients under To Grind and grind to a smooth paste
4. Add this paste, bay leaf, lemon juice and salt to chicken and marinate set aside for 10 mins
5. Heat oil in a pressure cooker, add the chicken along with the marinade and fry on a medium flame till the chicken becomes white in color. Takes around 3 to 4 mins. Next cover and cook till the chicken is almost cooked. if needed sprinkle some water. but the moisture in the chicken and green masala is enough to cook it.
6. Pour coconut milk and water,adjust salt. bring it to a boil
7. Add the rice and let it cook till all the water is evaporated.
8. Mix well and close the lid and simmer the flame to minimum
9. Let it cook for 5 to 7 mins. Do not let it whistle. Off the heat
Tips: as soon as the pressure is down, remove the lid and fluff up the rice.