Chicken lollipop recipe – A hot and spicy appetizer made with drummettes or whole chicken wings. I make chicken appetizers often at home and it is our most preferred way to consume chicken. We try to cut down eating fried appetizers in restaurants as we do not known the quality of oil and other ingredients used. Most times they are loaded with MSG as well. I made chicken lollipop a few times before and after several trials i settled with this one as one of the best i made. This is a fusion recipe, a mix of the Indian and Chinese Style. It can be tweaked to suit your taste, can make it an Indian recipe by skipping the soya sauce.
To make chicken lollipop recipe, either drummettes or whole chicken wings can be used. Both need to be frenched to get the shape of a lollipop. I have used drummettes. If you live in a place where drummettes are not available, you can use whole chicken wings. If you are a beginner and has not handled meat before i suggest you try with drummettes. These are the first portion of the whole chicken wings and are fairly easy to french.
The same recipe can be used to make grilled chicken lollipop, the only difference would be the color of the chicken. But once seasoned with sauce both look the same. While the grilled ones get a grilled flavor, which is not for the fried chicken.
I have blurred few step by step images, showing them as it is may irk newbies. But focused in few places, good enough to understand.
Chicken lollipop recipe
- ½ kg chicken drummettes (or 1 lb)
- oil as needed
- 1 ¼ tbsp. Ginger garlic paste or ½ tsp each of powder
- ¼ to ½ red chili powder or paprika (adjust)
- ½ tsp garam masala or any spice powder
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 4 tbsp corn flour or (2 tbsp. rice flour)
- 1 medium onion
- ¾ tbsp. ginger
- ¾ tbsp. garlic
- 1 tsp soya sauce
- 1 tsp vinegar
- ¾ tbsp. red chili powder or paste ( can use 1 tbsp.)
- 1 tsp sugar (can reduce to ½)
- ½ cup water
- coriander or celery as needed
- Add 3 to 4 tbsp. yogurt to a bowl, whisk it. Add 1 ¼ cup water and salt.
- Add chicken and soak 1 hour to overnight to tenderize the chicken.
- Drain off the buttermilk and marinate with marination ingredients except flour. Mix well.
- Add corn flour mixed with salt.
- Fry or grill the chicken in oven until cooked. Details mentioned in the step by step pictures above.
- Add 1.5 tsp oil for seasoning and heat it.
- Saute ginger garlic until aromatic. Fry onions until transparent. While the onions fry make a paste of red chili powder with 1.5 tbsp. water
- Add vinegar and soya sauce.
- Add red chili paste and sugar. Saute just for a while.
- Add water and cook till the sauce thickens.
- Add drummettes and toss.
- Garnish chicken lollipop with coriander or celery.
How to make chicken lollipop recipe
1. I always prefer to soak the chicken in buttermilk for at least an hour. If using larger wings or drummettes i suggest soaking for 4 to 6 hours in refrigerator. I would not recommend skipping this step as it really helps to yield soft and tender chicken when fried or grilled. To make buttermilk, add 3 to 4 tbsp curd/ yogurt to a bowl, Whisk it well with a fork. Add 1 ¼ cup water and ¼ tsp salt and add chicken to the butter milk. Always cover the chicken container and wrap with a few disposable plastic bags. Place the bowl in a separate compartment in the fridge which is not used for fruits, veggies and nuts.
2. Remove skin and fats before going ahead. Hold the thinner side of the drummettes. With the help of a knife, bring down the meat towards the other end. You can look at the picture.
3. Drain off the buttermilk completely if any. Add chili powder or paprika, spice powder, Ginger garlic and pepper powder. Toss gently to coat.
4. Mix cornflour with salt and add it to the bowl. Mix well. If you do not like to use corn flour, you can also use unbleached and unbromated flour. You can make these without flour or can use only 2 tbsp rice flour as well.
5. Shape them to balls on one side and place them all on a plate.
6. Grill or fry the chicken. Grill in a preheated oven at 240 C for 20 to 40 minutes depending on the size. OR Heat oil in a pan. When the oil is hot enough, deep fry them on medium high until cooked. Do not fry on very high flame as it may brown the chicken outside without cooking inside. Frying on a very low flame, will make the chicken hard. I haven’t tried shallow frying or pan frying, since I am not sure if they get cooked well.
7. Drain them on a kitchen towel. I fried in 3 batches.
8. Transfer the oil to a bowl and keep 1.5 tsp oil in the pan. Add ginger garlic and fry until fragrant.
9. Add onions and fry until transparent. While the onions fry, make red chili paste by mixing ¾ tbsp chili powder with 1.5 tbsp water. You can also use readymade chilli paste.
10. Mix 1 tsp vinegar with only 1 tsp naturally brewed soya sauce for half kg chicken. Pour it to the pan.
11. Add sugar and red chili paste. Saute everything together without burning.
12. Add ½ cup water and Stir.
13. Allow the sauce to cook until it thickens.
14. Add the chicken and toss. I set aside a few for the kids as the sauce is spicy.
Garnish with coriander leaves or celery. Wrap the lollypops with foil towards the bone. Serve as an appetizer or a side to a meal.