Learn how to make chicken tikka recipe in oven
chicken tikka is one of the most popular chicken starter or appetizer from Indian Cuisine and is popular across the world. Tikka means a cube or a piece and chicken tikka is a cube of chicken that is marinated in spiced yogurt mixture called the chicken tikka marinade. Chicken is left to soak up for few to several hours and then grilled in tandoor oven or barbecued.
For a home preparation, making chicken tikka recipe in an oven is convenient, the way I made them here. If the chicken tikka is made to enjoy as an appetizer, we use gram flour / besan and if the tikka is made to prepare a chicken tikka masala gravy, then gram flour should not be used since it alters the taste of the gravy entirely.
To make chicken tikka recipe, food color is often used which I have not. If you are particular about the color, I suggest using a good Kashmiri red chili powder or paprika which yields a good vibrant color.
Adding too much of garam masala or spice powder, leaves a bitter taste to the tikkas. So adjust the quantity slightly to suit the taste.
how to make chicken tikka recipe in oven with step by step pictures
chicken tikka recipe below
- 400 to 500 grams of boneless chicken cubes
- 1 to 1 ½ tbsp. besan / chickpea flour (optional, refer notes 1)
- Meat tenderizer (optional, refer notes 2)
- 1 cup regular thick yogurt or ½ cup of hung curd or greek yogurt (refer the instruction 1, how to make)
- ½ green bell pepper
- ½ red bell pepper
- 1 large onion cubed
- ¾ to 1 tsp. Kashmiri red chili powder or paprika
- ⅛ tsp. pepper powder
- 1 ½ tsp. ginger garlic paste
- ⅛ tsp. turmeric
- ½ tbsp. kasuri methi / dried fenugreek leaves (crushed)
- 1 to 2 tbsp. lemon juice (adjust, if your curd is sour, you can skip this)
- ¼ tsp biryani masala powder or ½ teaspoon of good garam masala
- ½ tsp coriander powder (optional, refer notes 3)
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp. oil
- to make the best chicken tikka, we need drained yogurt/ curd or greek yogurt works fine. If you are using regular yogurt, then add it to a cheese or muslin cloth and then drain off the excess water. You must have a thick consistency yogurt.you can leave the yogurt to drain off for several hours in the refrigerator, after placing it in a muslin cloth.
- Wash and cut chicken fillet to equal sized cubes, remove the moisture from them using disposable tissues. Or set them side for a while to take away the dripping water.
- Mix all the ingredients under chicken tikka masala marinade with yogurt, meat tenderizer, lemon juice, gram flour. Marinate the chicken for at least an hour. 12 to 24 hrs tastes the best. You will have to refrigerate if marinating for longer than an hour.
- Soak the wooden skewers for at least 30 mins in water to prevent them from burning.
- Just before you begin to grill, cube the veggies and marinate in the left over marination. 5. Put them on to skewers, alternating veggies and chicken.
- Pre heat the oven to 240 C for at least 15 minutes, bake for 20 to 30 mins or till fully done. I suggest checking after 20 mins. This depends on the size of your chicken pieces and how tender it is.
2.Meat tenderizer is needed if the chicken is not tender, follow the instructions on the pack for the quantity.
3.Coriander powder is used to bring down the spice levels in garam masala, use it if your garam masala is pungent or very strong.