Chilli garlic noodles – an easy Indo chinese noodles flavored with garlic and red chilli. These noodles taste very delicious and can be eaten as such with out any side dishes. But can be paired with any Indo chinese sides, a gravy or a dry appetizer too goes well with this. If you have a side dish, then you can even skip the veggies and make this plain chilli garlic noodles. It would still taste good.
I made this along with the chilli mushroom stir fry and veg spring rolls. I made the noodles moderately spicy since my kids too wanted to have it. You can adjust the amount of garlic and red chilli to make it more spicy and hot.
How to make chilli garlic noodles – step by step photos
1. There are 2 ways you can prepare the chilli garlic for this recipe. One method is to just chop the garlic and then cut the red chilies to flakes with a kitchen scissor. Use that for seasoning. Second method is to make a coarse paste of the red chilli and garlic either in a blender or in a hand pestle. I followed the second method.
2. Make the coarse paste and set aside.
3. Bring water to a boil in a pot.
4. When the water comes to a boil, add the noodles. I used organic Japanese wheat noodles, since i had only these at home. You can use what ever you like. While they cook wash and cut the vegetables to juliennes or chop small.
5. Cook until al dente (just cooked). Follow the manufacturers instructions on the pack for the cooking time. Overcooking the noodles will turn them sticky and soggy.
6. Drain them to a colander. Rinse them well under running water. Set aside to drain completely. Add a tsp oil and gently toss.
7. Add oil to a pan and heat it. Keep the flame to medium and not high. Add the chilli garlic and saute just for a minute or two . Do not over fry as it may lend a bitter taste. But make sure the raw smell of the garlic has gone.
8. Add all the mixed vegetables including spring onion whites but excluding spring onion greens.
9. Saute until the veggies are half cooked. Add sugar.
10. Add vinegar.
11. Add soya sauce.
12. Mix everything well.
13. Add noodles, salt and spring onion greens. I also like to add more olive oil now.
14. Stir fry on highest flame for 1 to 2 mins. Adjust salt if needed while you fry.
- 2 cakes noodles or 2 servings
- 4 large garlic cloves about 1.5 tbsp chopped finely
- 3 to 5 red chilies kashmiri or byadgi (deseeded)
- ½ broken chili for seasoning (deseeded)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp sugar
- ¾ tbsp. soya sauce
- 1 ½ tsp vinegar
- Salt as needed
- 1 medium carrot ½ to ¾ cup
- ¼ of a medium capsicum ¼ to ½ cup
- 2 sprigs of spring onions
- Make a coarse paste of chilli garlic or chop garlic finely and cut the chilies to flakes. Set these aside.
- Cook noodles al dente in 8 cups of boiling water. Drain and rinse well. Add a tsp of oil and toss. Set aside.
- Heat a wok or pan with oil. Saute chilli garlic and red chili on a medium heat for 1 minute.
- Make sure the raw smell of garlic has gone before adding the chopped veggies. Saute until half cooked.
- Add soya sauce, sugar and vinegar. Mix well. Saute on a high flame for 1 min.
- Add noodles, spring onion greens, salt and little more oil.
- Saute for 1 to 2 mins. Adjust salt if needed.
- Chilli garlic noodles ready to serve.