Chilli potato recipe is one of the well liked chilli recipes from the Indo chinese cuisine. It is served as a starter or as a side to a main dish like fried rice or fried noodles. A chilli recipe can be made with any of the main ingredients like chicken, paneer, gobi, soya chunks or even with potato. To make this chilli potato recipe, potatoes need to crisp fried and then tossed in sweet sour chilli sauce. Alternately for a better healthier option, they can also be grilled or pan roasted and added to the sauce.
Dry chilli potato goes well as a starter and a gravy version suits as a accompaniment to fried rice or fried noodles. I am sharing both dry and gravy version too. You can also check this collection of 16 fried rice recipes to pair with this chilli potato.
How to make chilli potato recipe with step by step photos
1. Wash and peel potatoes. Cut to half inch thin strips or wedges of 2 inches length. Soak them in salted water for about 30 minutes. They will have to be parboiled too if using a variety that doesn’t get cooked fast. I did not parboil mine.
2. Drain them up completely in a colander.
3. Add them to a wide bowl. Sprinkle salt, chilli powder (or paprika) and flour. I have used organic unbleached plain flour. To make the restaurant style chilli potato you will have to use corn starch (white corn flour). For health reasons if you want to avoid plain and corn flour as well, then skip using flour. It really doesn’t make much difference if making dry starter.
4. Heat oil and fry until golden on a medium heat. For a healthier option, you can also bake these in a oven even without using flour like i did for the potato wedges here.
5. When they are half done, the flame can be lowered a bit to make sure they are completely cooked inside without burning outside. When they are golden fried drain them on a kitchen tissue or on a colander. Do check if they are completely cooked.
6. Transfer the oil to a bowl. Retain 1.5 tsp oil and fry slit chilli and garlic. You can also use fresh sesame or olive oil to enhance the flavors.
7. When the garlic begins to smell good, add thinly sliced onions and white parts of spring onions. You can use any one kind of onions. Saute until the onions turn transparent.
8. Add bell peppers and saute. You may skip these as well but they add flavor and volume. So i suggest using.
9. While capsicum is getting sauteed, mix ½ to ¾ tsp of red chili powder with 1.5 to 2 tsp of red chilli sauce. Add few tsps of water and beat with a fork. Using red chili powder enhances the color of the dish without addition of too much sauce or food color. Alternately you can also add only red chili sauce and skip using red chili powder. Saute capsicums for just 2 minutes and then add sugar, ½ tbsp soya sauce salt and red chilli sauce.
10. Stir every thing well and fry just for a minute. Add half tsp vinegar.
11. Add few tbsps. water to the pan and allow the sauce to thicken just for a minute or two. If you like to make a gravy dish, add ¾ tbsp corn starch to ¾ cup. Stir it well and pour it to the pan.
12. When the sauce thickens, add the fried or baked potatoes.
13. Saute everything well for about 2 minutes. Add spring onions.
Gravy & dry chilli potato recipe to serve as starter or side
- 2.5 cups potatoes (3 medium aloo)
- 2 tbsp corn starch / corn flour (or unbleached organic plain flour)
- ¼ tsp red chilli powder or paprika powder
- salt as needed
- ⅓ cup oil or as needed
- 1 to 1.5 tbsp. garlic
- 1 medium sliced onion
- ½ to ¾ cup capsicum / bell peppers
- 1 green chili deseeded
- ½ tbsp. soya sauce (naturally brewed)
- 1.5 tsp red chilli sauce
- ½ to ¾ tsp red chili powder or paprika
- ½ to ¾ tsp vinegar
- Salt as needed
- Peel potatoes and cut diagonally. Immerse them in salted water for 30 minutes. Parboil them and drain.
- Mix red chilli sauce with red chili powder using little water. Make a thick paste. Set aside.
- Sprinkle flour, red chili powder and salt. Toss well.
- Deep fry or grill until golden.
- Transfer the oil and keep little in the pan.
- Fry garlic and chilli until they smell good.
- Add onions and saute until transparent or pink.
- Add capsicums and saute for a while.
- Add the red chilli sauce, soya sauce and vinegar.
- Add little water and cook till it slightly thickens. To make gravy chilli potato , dissolve ¾ tbsp corn starch with ¾ cup water. Stir and pour to the pan.
- When the sauce thickens add fried potatoes and saute for 2 to 3 minutes. Add spring onion greens.