chocolate burfi recipe is one of the easy and quick sweets that one can make in just 20 mins this diwali. Barfi or burfi is a Indian sweet fudge made mostly with milk, sugar and flavoring ingredients. Khoya or mawa are the milk solids got by condensing the milk till it thickens and reaches a solid consistency.
To make a homemade khoya or khoa lot of patience and time is needed which I do not have. So I generally prefer to buy from the Indian stores. You can make a simple khoya burfi or make a choco burfi. Sweeteners like raw cane sugar too can be used like I did to make chocolate kaju katli and chocolate sandesh. Since i made the two layer chocolate burfi, i had to use sugar. But if making a single layer barfi, you can use raw cane sugar.
chocolate burfi recipe can be made with flour or milk powder or nut powder. But nothing can beat the one made with mawa / khoya since it has all the richness of milk and milk alone.
NOTE: YOU CAN JUST INCREASE ONE TBSP. SUGAR THAN WHAT IS MENTIONED IN THE RECIPE. ADDING A LOT OF SUGAR RELEASES MORE MOISTURE AND THEN KHOYA HAS TO BE COOKED FOR LONG AND IT WILL DISCOLOR AND TURN STICKY.
You can find the complete collection of 100 diwali recipes here.
How to make chocolate burfi recipe with step by step pictures
1. Bring the khoya to room temperature and crumble. Some brands of koya taste bitter or sometimes give a weird smell to the sweet, if you heat them while they are still cold. If you have frozen one, defrost it either in the refrigerator overnight or keep it at room temperature for few hours or defrost in microwave.
2. Add this to a nonstick pan, (remember to use a nonstick) begin to heat it on a very low flame or heat. Keep stirring constantly till the last step else the mixture will get burnt.
3. Once it is warm, add sugar, cardamom powder, and vanilla or rose water over the sugar. Keep stirring.
4. Sugar begins to melt and comes to a halwa like consistency. Continue to cook. Do not forget continue stirring.
5. After sometime it comes together like a mass and leaves the sides of the pan. It took me around 7 mins, but it depends on the kind of your pan or stove. So make sure it becomes like a mass and thick and not runny like halwa.
6. Grease a foil or you can use a butter paper.To make chocolate burfi, let the mix cool down completely, divide the mix to 2 parts, knead one of the parts to smooth dough, shape to a square on a foil. Add cocoa powder to the other part, grease your palms with coconut oil and knead it thoroughly for 3 mins. Place this over the first plain layer and add nuts. The layers stick together without much effort.
7. Freeze it for 10 mins or refrigerate for 20 to 30 minutes and cut to desired shapes. Do not leave it in the freezer for longer.
find chocolate burfi recipe below
- 2.5 cups of crumbled mawa (khoya or condensed milk solids)
- ¾ cup of sugar
- ⅛ tsp. Cardamom powder
- 1 tsp rose water or vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. cocoa powder
- Few drops of coconut oil or any aroma free edible oil
- Defrost koya to room temperature. Crumble it well and add to a heavy bottom nonstick pan.
- Heat it on a very low flame constantly stirring to prevent burning
- When the koya gets warm, add sugar, cardamom powder rose water. you could increase the flame to medium
- Within a short while , sugar melts and the mixture turns to a halwa like consistency.
- Continue to cook stirring constantly,till it begins to leaves the sides of the pan and becomes thick like a mass. It must not be runny like halwa. Let the mix cool down completely.
- Divide the mix to 2 parts, knead one of them to a smooth dough, shape to a square on the greased foil.
- Add cocoa to the other part, Knead gently with greased palms till the dough looks soft.
- Place this over the first layer, sprinkle nuts. gently press if needed, but the layers stick on their own. Freeze it for 10 mins or refregerate for about 30 minutes.Cut chocolate burfi to desired shapes.
- Use up chocolate barfi with in 2 days, keep refrigerated.
you can decrease or increase cocoa powder based on the color while kneading
heating koya when it is very cold will make the burfi taste bitter