Chum chum recipe – also known as chom chom or cham cham is one of the other Bengali delicacies apart from rasgulla, sandesh and rasmalai. Oval shaped chenna or paneer balls are cooked in sugar syrup just like the rasgulla. Then garnished in different ways. Few variations of the garnishings are to stuff with mawa/khoya or dunk them in rabri or just serve them with coconut garnish.
However you can find a lot of fancy stuffings in Sweet stalls. Unlike the rasgulla this is not served with sugar syrup, so the sugar syrup can be reused for other recipes like gulab jamuns. Commercially sold chum chum are colorful as food colors are used while preparing. Since I do not prefer colors, I have not used. If you want to make your chum chum colorful, then you can add few drops of it while kneading the chenna/paneer.
Chum chum recipe below
- 1 litres or 4 cups full fat milk
- 2 to 4 tsp lemon juice or vinegar diluted with 4 tsp water
- 1 ¼ cup sugar
- 3 ¼ cups of water
- ¼ tsp cardamom powder/elaichi or rose water
- 3 to 4 tbsp. desiccated coconut
- 4 tbsp mawa / khoya
- 1 tbsp sugar (powdered, adjust to suit your taste)
- Few pistachios chopped finely
- Boil milk on a medium flame. Add diluted lemon juice to the pot and stir. Use as needed until the milk curdles completely.
- Add ice cubes or ice cold water to the curdled milk. Drain it off to a muslin cloth.
- Rinse it under running water. Squeeze excess water from the chenna.
- Hang it for about 45 minutes.
- Knead it well for 3 to 4 minutes until smooth. Make 8 to 10 oval shaped balls.
- Make sugar syrup by adding sugar and water to a pot. Bring it to a boil. When it begins to boil , then add cardamom powder and cham cham.
- Cover and cook on a moderately high heat for 8 to 9 minutes.
- After a while, transfer the cham cham to a plate and cool completely.
- Slit them length wise .
- Make mawa stuffing by mixing mawa with powdered sugar.
- Stuff the cham cham with this mawa. Sprinkle chopped pistas on the mawa.
- Roll them in desiccated coconut.
- Serve chum chum chilled.
Do not overcook, they can turn rubbery and hard.
If you do not knead the paneer properly, chums chum might break while cooking in the syrup.
To make Rabri : boil 3 cups of milk with half cup sugar on a low flame till it reduces to half add saffron and cardamom powder and 1 tsp rose water to it. Sometimes i use 4 tbsps. badam drink mix to my condensed milk to flavor instead of sugar, saffron and cardamom pow, tastes very good. Set this aside.
step by step photos on chum chum recipe or cham cham recipe
1. You can skip the first 5 steps if you have made paneer already. We need moist and fresh paneer for this recipe. Bring 1 liter milk to a boil. Mix lemon juice with equal amounts of water. Add diluted lemon juice to the boiled milk and stir well. It begins to curdle immediately, if it doesn’t curdle, add few more tsps. Of this juice and mix well.
2. When the entire milk begins to curdle switch off the flame.
3. Add ice cubes or ice cold water to stop cooking further and to keep the chenna soft. If you skip this, chenna may not be soft.
4. Drain the whey and filter the chenna using a muslin or cheese cloth.
5. Rinse the chenna under running water to remove the lemon smell. Knot the cloth and hang it to drain excess water for around 45 mins, you can squeeze it and remove excess water.
6. Add 3 ¼ cups water to a deep and wide pot. Add sugar, bring it to a boil. While it boils, proceed to the next step.
7. Chenna must be moist and non-sticky at this step. Knead the paneer till it becomes smooth. It takes around 3 to 5 mins. If the paneer looks very dry, you can just moisten your palm and knead.
8. After you finish kneading, Divide the dough to 8 to 10 balls and shape them to an oval shape. I made these in 2 batches, 5 in each batch.
9. Add cardamom powder or rose water to the sugar syrup. Drop these carefully in the boiling sugar syrup, cover & cook on a medium high flame for 9 to 10 mins. In between, i.e after 5 mins just stir the syrup and flip the chum chum to the other side. Do not crowd the pot, there must be enough space for cham cham to cook and double in size.
10. Once it is done, you can see the chum chum would have doubled in size.
11. After 20 mins, transfer the chum chum on to a plate to make the garnishing.
12. cham cham can be served with just rabri/ rabdi or just roll them in coconut and serve chilled. For a classic chom chom, mawa stuffing is made. To make mawa stuffing mix 4 tbsp mawa with 1 tbsp powdered sugar. Mix lightly. Do not knead much it may turn soggy. You can add more or less sugar to suit your taste buds. But too much sugar can make the stuffing soggy.
13. Slit the chum chum length wise and stuff the mawa inside. Top the mawa with chopped pistachios.
14. Roll them in desiccated coconut.