Coconut burfi recipe – One of the simplest sweet recipes for any festive occasion. Traditionally burfi was made of milk and sugar, but there are also many versions made without using milk. This coconut burfi is one of them and is made using just 4 ingredients. This is a quick recipe and can be made under 15 minutes if we have grated coconut in hand. For more diwali sweets you can check this collection of 100 diwali recipes.
I am sharing 2 easy recipes to make coconut burfi in this post. The first one uses fresh coconut and the second one is made with desiccated coconut. You can also find another recipe of coconut barfi here that can be made in just 15 mins.
In the first recipe, to make coconut burfi we do not need to check any string consistency, this makes it more simpler. I have used fresh grated coconut from the frozen section. You can also use home made hand grated coconut or the one from wet grinder attachment. But make sure it is juicy and fresh and is not from young coconuts. Dry coconut gratings or desicatted coconut may not yield good results. I have used pistachios far garnish you can use almonds , cashews or even chironji.
In the second method, you can use desiccated coconut and condensed milk which yields a delicious dessert very close to the kalakand but with coconut taste. It tastes very rich and very unique. You can find this recipe at the end of the post as method 2.
You can find more barfi / burfi recipes on the blog,
Kaju katli / barfi
7 cups burfi
How to make coconut burfi recipe
1. Grease a plate or pan and keep aside. I prefer to use a parchment paper for easy removal. You can also use aluminum foil.
2. Heat a pan with ghee and saute cashews if using. I used pistachios so lightly roasted to make them crunchy. You can also use chironji. Even if you are not using nuts i suggest using at least a tsp of ghee or light coco nut oil.
3. Add in coconut.
4. Add sugar.
5. Mix and begin to heat on a medium heat.
6. Sugar begins to melt.
7. Add cardamom powder. Keep stirring.
8. Mixture turns gooey and bubbly. Continue to stir.
9. After a while the mixture begins to thicken and the bubbles reduce slowly. Continue to stir.
10. Bubbles are almost gone but the mixture is soggy. Continue stirring.
11. We need to cook past the earlier step just for few seconds until all the bubbles vanish. The mixture also begins to leave the sides of the pan. Nuts can be added now.
12. Immediately pour this to the pan and level the top. Quickly add the nuts and tuck them in.
13. Gently cut to desired size when the mixture cools down a bit and still hot. If the mixture cools down completely, we may not get proper shaped burfi. So do it when it is still hot.
Store in a air tight jar.
Coconut burfi recipe below
- 2 cups grated coconut
- 1.5 cups sugar
- 1 tsp ghee (little more for greasing)
- ⅛ tsp cardamom powder/ elaichi
- chopped pistachios or cashews as needed
- Grease a pan or keep a parchment paper ready. Heat a pan with ghee.Toast cashews if using. Set aside.
- Add coconut and sugar. Mix and cook together on a medium flame.
- Mixture turns gooey and bubbly. Continue to cook until the mixture comes together and begins to leave the sides of the pan.
- Pour it immediately to a greased plate, foil or butter paper. Level it well.
- Cut them to desired sizes while it is still warm.
- Cool and store coconut barfi in a air tight jar.
Method 2 – Nariyal barfi with condensed milk and desicatted coconut
1. To make this version, we need fine desiccated coconut. The finer it is the more tasty and melt in the mouth it will be. I processed the coconut in mixer for 2 to 3 mins since mine was very very coarse. You can dry roast few nuts for garnishing. Set aside to cool. I roasted 2 tbsp pistas and powdered coarsely in mixer.
2. For this recipe, we need 1 ¾ cup desiccated coconut, powder and then add it to a heavy bottom pan.
3. Add half tin sweetened condensed milk. It will be about half cup plus 2 tbsps.I used milk maid.
4. Add half cup full fat milk.
5. Mix everything well. Break the lumps if any.
6. Cook this until the mixture thickens and turns to a mass. This just takes about 3 to 5 mins. Add a generous pinch of cardamom powder. Mix well.
7. Transfer this to a greased tray. Grease your finger with ghee and press it gently. Add cashews or pistachios. I like to add powdered pistachios. I sprinkled and pressed a bit. Refrigerate for one hour. Cut to desired sizes.
Refrigerate coconut burfi and consume with in 3 days.