coconut milk rice from coastal Andhra region – I got this authentic coconut milk rice recipe from my mum who belongs to the coastal regions of andhra where coconut is grown in abundance.
There are so many versions of coconut rice in south India that one can find them different from state to state. Some prepare rice with grated coconut, while this recipe needs coconut milk.
This coconut milk rice is fragrant with subtle aroma of coconut since fried coconut is also used. The addition of veggies is optional since we are so much used to them in any one pot meal i use. This way I ensure that we do not miss our daily quota of vegetables. This makes one of the best lunch box recipes for kids and working adults too.
This easy coconut milk rice doesn’t need any side dish, it tastes great on its own, just use enough green chilies to spice it up. To make your meal special, you can pair with mixed vegetable curry, jackfruit seeds kurma or paneer korma / kurma curry or papads or raita.
How to make coconut milk rice with step by step pictures
1. Scrape and set aside one to 2 tbsp. Of coconut. Wash and soak rice till your coconut milk gets ready.
2. Grind chopped coconut pieces with 1 cup water. Filter and extract the milk and add it to the left over 1 1/2 cup water. Set this aside. Alternately can use store bought milk.
3. Heat ghee in a pan, sauté all the spices and green chili for a min.
4. Add veggies if using, and fry for a min or two
5. Pour the coconut milk (mixed with 1 ½ cup water). Add salt as well
6. When it comes to a boil, add the rice and cook till the rice is done fully. You can cover and cook. If rice is undercooked, you can sprinkle little water and cook further.
7. Heat another pan with ghee, fry the grated coconut till it turns slightly brown. Add cashews and fry
8. Once the rice is done, garnish with fried cashews and coconut
coconut milk rice is ready to serve
If you are looking for more easy rice recipes check
Indian vegetable fried rice
Ghee rice recipe
tomato rice bath
kuska rice or plain biryani
vegetable biryani in pressure cooker
coconut milk rice recipe below
- 2 cups rice
- 1 cup chopped coconut pieces (or store bought coconut milk )
- 2 ½ cups Water (adjust as needed, you can use ¼ cup more)
- 2 green chili slit
- Fistful of chopped carrots
- Fistful of frozen or fresh green peas
- Few cashews
- Few tbsp. Grated coconut
- 2 tbsp. Ghee or butter
- Salt as needed
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cardamoms
- 6 cloves
- 2 inch cinnamon stick
- Few pepper corn
- ½ tsp cumin / jeera
- Wash and soak rice for at least 10 to 15 minutes.
- Keep aside one to 2 tbsp. Of scraped coconut. Blend chopped coconut pieces with 1 cup water. Filter to extract the coconut milk and Mix with the rest of the water. i.e. 1 ½ cup water. Store bought milk can also be used.
- Heat a pot or pan with ghee, add spices and fry till they turn fragrant. Add slit green chili, chopped vegetables and fry to remove the raw smells. One to two minutes would be enough
- Add the coconut milk along with the water (if you haven’t mixed with 1 ½ cup water) and add salt
- When the coconut milk begins to boil, add rice and stir
- Cook till the rice is fully cooked. Cover and cook on a medium flame. Little water can be sprinkled if rice is still not cooked well.
- Add ghee to a small pan, fry the grated coconut till it turns slightly brown. Add cashews and fry
- Garnish with roasted coconut and cashews.