chicken pakora recipe or crispy chicken pakoda is served in most restaurants as an appetizer and is also prepared in many Indian homes. Chicken is marinated in spices and then coated with flour or batter and deep fried.
chicken pakora recipe can be made in so many ways, the recipe iam sharing is super simple and is made without any soy sauce or vinegar or any other fancy ingredients. We just need a few handful of ingredients to make them taste great and crispy.
Using either curry leaves or mint / pudina is essential to make them very flavourful and iam sure you will crave for them more. Onions are also used to give volume and flavor to the chicken pakoda.
These are made in my mom’s home, on the 3rd day of sankranthi, known as kanuma in Andhra Pradesh. This day is typically celebrated to feast and son-in-laws are treated with delicious foods.
If you have refrigerated the chicken, make sure that it comes to room temperature before you fry, this way they are crispier and remain so for longer as well they absorb less oil.
how to make chicken pakora recipe or chicken pakoda with step by step pictures
1. Add all the ingredients to a bowl , except flour, semolina and oil.
2. Marinate and set aside for 20 minutes.
3. Sprinkle evenly flour, cornflour or semolina over the chicken and mix.
4. you must get a stiff dough, if needed sprinkle little water.
5. Heat oil, when it is hot enough take small portions of this chicken and onion mix and drop them in oil
6. Fry till golden and drain them on absorbent papers.
Serve chicken pakoda hot.
find chicken pakora recipe or chicken pakoda recipe below
- ½ cup chicken strips or cubes
- ½ cup sliced onions layers separated
- 2 green chilies chopped
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tsp of finely chopped ginger pieces (optional, but adds a great aroma)
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice (adjust)
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- ¼ tsp garam masala or biryani masala powder
- ⅛ tsp turmeric
- Salt to taste
- 15 to 20 curry leaves washed and chopped
- 4 to 6 tbsp. besan or chickpea flour (adjust as per needed, this depends on how much moisture your chicken expels after we marinate)
- 1 tbsp. corn flour or semolina
- Oil to deep fry
- Cut chicken to thin strips of 2 by ¾ inch. Refer the pictures. Wash and drain up the water thoroughly.
- Mix together chicken, onions, curry leaves, ginger, ginger garlic paste, green chili, red chili powder, masala powder, turmeric, lemon juice and salt. Set aside for 20 to 30 mins.
- Heat oil in a kadai for deep frying.
- Add in the flour, cornflour or semolina as needed to make stiff moist dough. If needed sprinkle little water to the dough and do not make it floury either. Just use enough flour to bind them.
- When the oil is hot enough, drop these chicken pieces one after the other along with the onions. Do not crowd them in the kadai. Keep stirring and fry till they turn golden brown.
- Once all the pakoras are done, refry all the pakoras in batches for 1 to 2 mins to keep them extra crisp. Take care not to burn.
for more Indian chicken starters recipes, check