cucumber raita is one of the most commonly made side to go with a biryani or pulao. Raita is made of yogurt, mild spice powders and favorite veggies or fruits. Onions, tomatoes, cucumber are few veggies that are often used. onion raita, mint raita, boondi raita are some of the varieties that are loved and made often at home.
To make cucumber raita, all we need is fresh cucumber, roasted cumin powder, pepper powder and salt. Mint, coriander leaves, green chili or fresh ginger juice can also be used.
cucumbers help in digestion and brings down the heat in the biryani. I prefer to keep our weekend meal simple, made this raita to go with the vegetable pulao.
find the complete recipe of cucumber raita below
- 1 cup chopped cucumber
- 1 cup curd/yogurt (adjust to get the desired consistency)
- salt as needed
- ½ tsp roasted cumin powder
- pinch of pepper powder
- few mint leaves or coriander leaves
- 1 green chili seeded and chopped
- 1 tsp fresh ginger juice if you like the flavor
- Lightly dry roast cumin on a low flame. Cool it and powder.
- Wash and peel cucumber. chop to small bites.
- Add them to a bowl along with yogurt, salt and cumin powder. If using the optional ingredients add them as well and mix. To make ginger juice, grate ginger, add it to a tea strainer and press, juice drips through the strainer.Add just one 1 tsp.
- Garnish with pepper powder.