Dal khichdi recipe with video & step by step photos. – khichadi is a South Asian food prepared with rice and lentils (source:wiki). It is as such not native to any particular Indian regional cuisine. It is made all over India in different regional styles. The most simple way is to just cook rice and lentils to a mushy texture. It is served with ghee, papad, kadhi and pickles or achar. khichadi is one of the most common Indian food made often in most homes. It is also known by different names such as khichuri, khichri, khichree etc.
There are many ways of making khichdi, You can find a few on this blog
Simple kichdi recipe – mostly made for babies & sick people.
I am sharing 2 methods here in this post. First is quite a simple one just made using very few onion slices and tomatoes, so no extra work of chopping veggies. Second method is the masala vegetable khichadi.
khichdi is one of the healthiest protein packed dish. It is a one pot food and is usually made to a mushy texture, so it is light on the stomach. To accompany this dal khichdi, i made an instant carrot pickle.
Any kind of dal – moong dal, toor dal or pancharatan dal can also be used to make this. Since moong dal is nutritious, light and easily digestible, it is often preferred to make khichdi.
Video of dal khichdi recipe
Dal khichdi recipe below
This recipe card is for method 1. For method 2 just use 1 small tomato and half cup veggies like carrots, peas, beans and capsicum
- 1 tbsp ghee
- ½ tsp cumin / jeera
- 1 bay leaf or 1 sprig of curry leaves
- 1 tsp grated ginger or ginger paste
- very few onion slices (optional)
- ½ cup tomato deseeded & chopped
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- turmeric little
- 1 green chili slit (optional)
- salt as needed
- ¾ cup rice (any kind of rice)
- ¾ moong dal (refer notes)
- 2 ½ cups water (refer notes)
- Wash and soak rice and dal for sometime. Drain water completely.
- Chop onions and tomatoes.
- Heat ghee in a pressure cooker or pot.
- Allow cumin to crackle and saute bay leaf as well.
- Fry ginger until fragrant. Do not burn.
- Fry onions until the raw smell goes. Add tomatoes, salt and turmeric and saute until they turn mushy.
- Add chili , red chili powder and cook for one to 2 mins.
- Add drained rice and fry for 3 mins. Pour water and pressure cook for 1 whistle. If cooking in a pot, cook until soft.
- Serve dal khichdi with papad, pickle or kadhi.
water - Use little more water if using normal rice or cooking in a pot.
Method 1 – Dal khichdi recipe with step by step photos
1. Add rice and dal to a pot and wash it several times until the water runs clear. Soak it for sometime if possible. To make this dish any kind of rice can be used. The day I made this I had only basmathi rice at home so i used it. I used half brown and half white rice, soaked for about 30 mins. You can also use all brown rice or white rice alone. You can also replace brown rice here with millets. Any kind of rice too will just go well to make a khichdi. Drain off completely and set aside.
2. Usually ghee is used to make khichdi. You can also use oil. Heat ghee in a pot or pressure cooker. Add cumin and bay leaf. If you do not have bay leaf you can just skip it or use curry leaves. Both lend a different aroma to the rice.
3. When the cumin splutters, add grated ginger or paste. Saute quickly for a minute until it begins to smell good.
4. Add few sliced shallots or onions. Saute for 2 mins until the raw smell goes off.
5. Add deseeded and chopped tomatoes, turmeric and salt. Saute until the tomatoes turn completely mushy.
6. Add red chilli powder and slit green chili if desired. If you like to make a masala dal khichdi, you can also add half a tsp of garam masala.
7. Saute until the raw smell of tomatoes and chili powder goes off. You can also add chopped veggies now. Vegetables like carrots, peas, beans go well in a khichdi.
8. Add drained rice and dal.
9. Saute for 2 to 3 minutes to bring out the flavor of moong dal.
10. Pour water and check the salt. If needed add more and stir.
11. Cook until soft cooked. If making in a pressure cooker, cook for one whistle on a medium flame. You may need to add more water if using a pot and not pressure cooker.
12. Fluff up with a fork. Add more ghee if desired.
Method 2 – Masala vegetable khichdi
1. Heat one tbsp. ghee. Add cumin, cinnamon and bay leaf. Allow cumin to crackle, then add ginger paste. Saute until the raw smell goes off.
2. Add onions and saute until they turn golden or pink.
3. Ad mix vegetables including a small tomato quartered and deseeded. Add salt as well.
4. Mix and saute on a medium heat until the tomato turns mushy. At this stage you can also take off the tomato skin from the pot using a spoon. Add red chili powder and garam masala (optional). Saute until the raw smell of chili goes away.
5. Add soaked rice and dal. Mix and fry for 2 to 3 mins.
6. Add water and salt. Stir and check the salt. Adjust as needed.
7. Cover and cook for 2 whistle on a low flame.
8. When the pressure goes off, open the lid.
Serve masala vegetable dal khichdi with pickle, papad or chutney.