Please read the entire post before you attempt to consume this.
Years ago, this Detox soup recipe or a close variation to this had been telecasted in almost all Indian channels in health or Ayurveda series. The Popular Dr.OZ ‘s site too has a similar recipe. What is special about this soup? It is just made out of the mung beans or the whole green gram and seasoned with ghee and mild spices. Mung beans are considered to be tridoshic and can balance any kind of doshas in the body effectively; this is purely an ayurvedic terminology which many of us may not understand. To be simple, Ayurveda believes that toxins in the body are the main culprits that bring in health issues to everyone, so we must get rid of these toxins to stay young and healthy. Moong beans are one of the best super foods that can safely detox the body and increase metabolism and keep disorders & diseases at bay.
Ayurvedic experts say this soup detoxes the entire body including liver and improves the overall health. But I have noted down few based on mine, my family and friends’ experiences.
• Firstly people with arthritis and spondylitis feel a lot of improvement in their symptoms. Remember, I did not say it will heal your arthritis or spondylitis, but after the detox your symptoms are better.
• Reduces the number of migraine attacks. In my case, it has healed me totally after using it for several years.
• Removes chronic constipation, regulates bowels flushing out toxins.
• Improves appetite & digestion.
• It helps to loose excess weight,
• Clears acne and improves complexion (if caused due to bad diet).
• Lastly, after you detox for several days, you feel so light, fresh, much energetic, happy & satisfied.
How to consume this soup:
There are no hard and fast rules. This is how it is generally categorised (source ayurvedic books)
• For a lighter detox, consume this for 1 week as breakfast and have a light lunch and dinner. No meat, no refined foods and no fried foods
• For a more concrete detox, consume this throughout the day, any number of times you desire. Very Light dinner like veg kichidi and or easily digestible fruits, no later than 7 pm. No other food except plain water, throughout the day. This is done for 7 days continuously in a month to lose weight. Has to be done for several months. Ensure that you hydrate yourself well during this. After I did this for 2 months, lost almost 7 kgs without any issues.
• If you are on a healthy diet always, you may not need to detox intensely. In that case, 1 day in a week, eat nothing else except this soup and plain water, any number of times. Continue for several weeks, 1 day per week.
Note: Not suitable to pregnant & nursing women, diabetics, kids, aged folks and people with unknown liver problems or digestive problems.
After 1 ½ to 2 hours of consuming this soup, many people experience mild to severe headache and even nausea. This is a part of the detox process. This happens only for the first 2 to 3 days when you begin the detox. If you cannot bear, you could eat something immediately and it subsides. but you will not be detoxed well.
You might experience an increase in the bowel movements after 6 hours of consuming this. It is just normal. Though it is not the case with everyone.
Now on to the recipe. It is one of the easiest recipes that can be prepared even by a newbie.
½ cup of Moong beans, green gram
1 inch piece of fresh ginger
pinch of cumin seeds / jeera
pinch of Asafoetida / hing (optional) (to prevent bloating)
1 tsp cow’s ghee / clarified butter
generous pinch of monsoon spice mix (equal quantities of Cumin (jeera), dry ginger powder(sonti) and carom seeds (ajwain))
Lemon juice (optional)
Bottle gourd or carrot
occasionaly you could use palak (Indian spinach)
1. Soak green gram for overnight, wash and pressure cook with veggies and enough water till soft. mung beans must break open on their own
2. Heat a small pan with ghee, add cumin, when it splutters, add grated or sliced ginger and fry.
3. Add this to the soup.
4. Add salt, spice powder. mix and bring it to a boil and simmer for 2 mins
Add lemon juice and Serve warm