Dosakaya mukkala pachadi recipe
Cucumber is called as Dosakaya in telugu. One of the best low calorie vegetable that is good for weight watchers. Cucumbers are high in vitamin c and vitamin A, low in sodium content and zero cholesterol. Consumed raw, we get all the benefits from this vegetable. The variety that is used to make this raw chutney are also called as Indian curry cucumbers, they are round in shape as you see in the picture below.
This could be one of the healthiest ways to enjoy cucumbers since they are not cooked , meaning no loss of nutrients. These cucumbers are also used to make curry, sambar and pulusu
This andhra cucumber chutney is called as Dosakaya Mukkala Pachadi and it is one of the most relished chutneys from the Andhra Cuisine. Very easy and simple to make, yet tastes very good. This goes well with rice and ghee.
There may not be many variations to this basic Andhra cucumber Chutney Recipe. Some use brinjal/ eggplants along with cucumber , stir fried eggplants are coarsely blended in a blender instead of the cucumbers. In this recipe, all the ingredients are used raw; frying green chilies in oil is optional.
Tips for perfect chutney: Always use a hard and raw cucumber for making chutney. Do not forget to check the cucumber for bitterness, as many are tend to be bitter. Though the seeds and skin have nutrients in them, I never use them since they are harder to digest. Many cucumbers have wax coating on them, that’s another reason why I do not use the skin.
I have updated the post with new image (the main image)
Ingredients you see in the picture below are what I used
Hot to make dosakaya mukkala pachadi , cucumber chutney
Slit and fry green chilies in oil till they are fully fried, takes 1 to 2 mins. Set aside to cool completely
wash and peel cucumber. Remove the seeds and discard. Chop to small bite sized pieces
Grind green chilies, cumin/jeera, salt, turmeric, garlic, and handful of the chopped cucumber pieces. Keep the rest of the cucumber pieces aside.
Pour the ground mix over the rest of the cucumber pieces, add salt & chopped coriander leaves
Temper this with the tempering ingredients. Mix well
If needed add lemon juice or tamarind paste and mix well
If you are looking for more Andhra chutney recipes, do check out my raw tomato pachadi, dondakaya pachadi , beerakaya pachadi , menthe akau pachadi, vankaya tomato pachadi
dosakaya mukala pachadi, dosakaya chutney recipe
- 1 medium sized round cucumber
- 4 green chili slit
- ½ tsp. cumin/ jeera
- Salt to taste
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves
- Lemon juice or tamarind extract (to suit your taste, use only if cucumber is not tangy)
- fistful of coriander leaves (chopped finely)
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- ¼ tsp. mustard
- ¼ tsp. cumin
- ½ red chili broken
- 1 garlic clove
- ½ tsp. urad dal
- ½ tsp. channa dal
- Pinch of hing
- 1 tbsp. oil
- Wash cucumber and peel off the skin
- Cut it to 2 large pieces. Remove the seeds and discard.
- Fry green chilies in oil for 1 to 2 min.cool them
- Grind green chilies, cumin, salt, turmeric, garlic, and handful of the chopped cucumber pieces. Keep the rest of the cucumber pieces aside.
- Add the blended mix with the rest of the cucumber pieces, add salt & chopped coriander leaves
- Heat the same pan with oil, add all the tempering ingredients and fry till the dals turn golden.
- Add this to the chutney, check salt and tang. if needed you can add lemon juice or tamarind paste.
If you wish to use brinjal/ eggplant, chop to small cubes, fry them in the pan after you fry green chiles, sprinkle salt and fry till they are fully cooked. cool off and then blend it in a mixer and follow the rest of the recipe