Kalakand recipe with condensed milk and paneer in just 10 minutes. A popular Bengali Sweet that can be prepared even by bachelors. This quick kalakand recipe needs only 4 ingredients: very little milk, condensed milk, paneer (Indian cottage cheese) and a flavoring ingredient like cardamom powder. It tastes deliciously delicious with a crumble texture just like the one sold in sweet stalls.
The authentic Kalakand recipe calls for curdling milk to make paneer, next condensing the milk for hours and the next process is same as mentioned below. The recipe Iam sharing today is just a cut short method to make a great tasting kalakand that can be prepared on any occasion without having to toil for hours.
I highly suggest using a heavy bottom pan. I tried using a heavy bottom nonstick, but it began to stick, so I transferred it to a stainless steel heavy bottom pan and it worked right.
You can also check this collection of 100 diwali recipes.
Easy kalakand recipe with condensed milk and paneer
- 1 can (392 gms) Milkmaid full cream sweetened condensed milk
- 1 ¼ cups tightly packed crumbled paneer
- 2 tbsp. Milk
- 1 tsp. generous pinch of cardamom powder/ elaichi/kewra water/rose water
- Nuts for garnish
- To go ahead with the kalakand recipe, first grease a plate. You can use parchment paper or aluminium foil too. Keep it aside
- Prepare the nuts and keep aside. You can use silvered almonds or chopped or pulsed pistachios and almonds
- We need completely drained paneer. Crumble it and keep aside
- Pour condensed milk to a heavy bottom pan and warm up on a low flame.
- Meanwhile add milk, paneer, milk kewra water or cardamom powder or rose water to the pan
- Stir and mix well. Cook on a low fire, stir constantly to prevent burning. After a short while, it becomes a thick mass and will begin to leave the sides of the pan. Switch off the stove. If you can manage can increase the flame to medium while cooking, but ensure you don’t burn it.
- Transfer the kalakand to the foil or greased plate. Spread it to half inch thickness. Smooth the top evenly and sprinkle nuts and lightly tuck them in.
- Refrigerate kalakand for at least 2 hours. Cut to desired shapes.
Do not use low fat paneer or low fat condensed milk, it doesn’t turn out tasty
Kalakand keeps good for 2 days if refrigerated. Serve chilled.
If you do not prefer to serve chilled, you can leave it out for around 30 mins before serving,
it comes down to room temperature. Or can warm for few seconds in microwave.
Highly suggested using a heavy bottom pan. Stainless steel heavy bottom pan too works fine
How to make kalakand recipe in 10 mins
1. For this recipe we need crumbled paneer. You can use store bought or homemade. To make paneer check this post on how to make soft paneer. Crumble the paneer and set aside.
2. Keep your nuts ready. I pulsed some pistachios, you can use silvered almonds or pulsed almonds whatever is handy. Chopped nuts will also do.
3. Grease a plate. I had a parchment paper handy so i placed it on a plate instead of greasing. You can use foil too or just go ahead with a greased plate.
4. Add condensed milk to a heavy bottom pan and begin to warm up on a low flame.
5. Add paneer, milk and kewra water or cardamom powder or rose water.
6. Mix well and begin to cook, stirring constantly to prevent burning. Very soon it becomes a thick mass and begins to leave the sides of the pan. Switch off the stove. If you can manage can increase the flame to medium while cooking. It took about 8 minutes for me on a medium to high heat with constant stirring.
7. Transfer this mix to the prepared greased plate, paper or foil. Spread it to half inch thickness. Level it and sprinkle the pistachios or any nuts and tuck them in with your palm.
8. Refrigerate it for at least 2 hours and cut to desired size pieces with a large sharp knife. You can collect the side uneven cut pieces, knead and set to one square piece.
Easy kalakand is ready. Keep refrigerated and finish it in 2 days. Best to Serve chilled.
If you do not like chilled kalakand, leave it out for around 30 mins before serving , it comes down to room temperature. Alternately it can be warmed for few seconds in microwave.