egg bhurji recipe, learn how to make egg bhurji recipe with video
Today iam going to share my style of making egg bhurji we call as egg porutu in my mother tongue telugu. The regular bhurji recipe does not need any veggies in them. There are many styles of making egg bhurji anywhere from as simple as just scrambling an egg in fried onions and just add chili powder and not even using ginger garlic paste.
to make egg bhurji recipe, we use garam masala to remove the raw smell of eggs.If you don’t like to use garam masala often or you like the flavor of eggs, you could skip ginger garlic paste and garam masala.
There are times when my little kiddo cannot eat his meal without the sight of veggies in his plate. Instead of making a different veggie for him, I make my egg bhurji with capsicums and it tastes great with a good aroma. If you are like me who loves to add veggies in every dish that is made, then do try adding capsicums and you will love it and will surely say this is the best egg bhurji that you ever made. However that is optional.
egg bhurji can be served with rice, chapathi or even with bread or pav.
how to make egg bhurji recipe or egg porutu
1. Heat oil in a pan, add cumin.You can also use bay leaf or curry leaves now or add them later. Let the cumin splutter. Add grated ginger or ginger garlic paste. Fry till the raw smell goes off.
2. Add onions and green chili if using. Sprinkle some salt and fry till golden brown. If you do not fry the onions till golden, you will get the unpleasant smell of raw eggs in the bhurji.
3. This step is optional if you are using capsicum or tomato. Add tomatoes or capsicum and fry till the tomatoes are cooked soft and oil begins to sepearte. But any moisture like tomatoes to the bhurji makes the it smelly again. If you are a first timer, i suggest not using tomato as it may not be liked by all.
4. Break the eggs in a bowl and check for shells. If you prefer to beat the eggs, you can beat till frothy. I prefer to use the eggs as it is.Pour the egg in the pan and lightly scramble it.Repeat scrambling every now and then, to prevent burning and to cook egg evenly. You can scramble it as much as you like to make it look like a paneer bhurji.
5. Add curry leaves or mint or coriander leaves.Sprinkle red chili powder, garam masala or pav bhaji masala and turmeric. mix well.
6. Adjust salt now. Cover and cook for 2 mins, open the lid and fry on medium for 1 to 2 mins. if you prefer moist egg bhurji skip frying.
7. Garnish with coriander or mint or roasted sesame seeds. you can serve without garnishing too.
find complete egg bhurji recipe below
- 2 large eggs
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 1 green chili slit or chopped
- ½ tsp. of garam masala or pav bhaji masala(adjust to suit your taste)
- ½ tsp. ginger garlic paste
- red chili powder as needed
- pinch of turmeric
- oil 1 tbsp.
- 1 sprig curry leaves or mint leaves or small bay leaf
- ½ tsp. cumin / jeera/ shahi jeera
- ¼ cup bell pepper/capsicum
- 1 small tomato (refer notes)
- 2 cloves
- Small cinnamon stick
- few coriander leaves
- mint leaves
- Rinse a bowl and break the eggs and pour them to the bowl, this way egg doesn't stick to the bowl. Check for shells and set aside. If you like you can beat the eggs until frothy and set aside.
- Chop onions finely.
- Add oil to a pan. Add cumin, when it splutters add ginger garlic paste and fry till you get a nice aroma. You can add bay leaf and curry leaves now if using.
- Add onions and green chilies, sprinkle little salt and fry until they turn golden. If using tomatoes, add them and fry until they turn soft and oil begins to seperate.If using capsicums, add them now and fry till they are partially soft for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Pour the eggs and scramble lightly. Keep cooking and scramble once more. Stir constantly to prevent burning.
- Add garam masala, red chili powder, mint or coriander leaves and turmeric. Stir well. Check the salt and spice and adjust.
- Cook covered for about 2 minutes on a low flame and then fry on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes. If you desire a moist bhurji do not fry. Just keep covered. Switch off the stove.
- Garnish egg bhurji with coriander or mint leaves.
- serve with rice or bread/ pav or chapathi
2.You can skip garam masala or use only coriander and cumin powder or pav bhaji masala too.
Spicy egg bhurji made with bay leaf, cinnamon and cloves.
to see how i make a simple egg bhurji, you can take a look at my video. I used