Egg bhurji recipe, learn how to make egg bhurji recipe with video
Today iam going to share my style of making egg bhurji we call as egg porutu in my mother tongue telugu. The regular egg bhurji recipe does not need any veggies in them and looks like the one you see in the above picture. There are many styles of making egg bhurji anywhere from as simple as just scrambling an egg in fried onions and just add chili powder and not even using ginger garlic paste.
to make egg bhurji recipe, we use garam masala to remove the raw smell of eggs.If you don’t like to use garam masala often or you like the flavor of eggs, you could skip ginger garlic paste and garam masala.
There are times when my little kiddo cannot eat his meal without the sight of veggies in his plate. Instead of making a different veggie for him, I make my egg bhurji with capsicums and it tastes great with a good aroma. If you are like me who loves to add veggies in every dish that is made, then do try adding capsicums and you will love it and will surely say this is the best egg bhurji that you ever made. However that is optional.
The 2 main and large pictures you see in this post are 2 different versions of the egg bhurji both with different set of ingredients that i use which i have mentioned below. so choose which ever you like
Egg bhurji can be served with rice, chapathi or even with bread
how to make egg bhurji recipe or egg porutu
1. Heat oil in a pan, add mustard, cumin and curry leaves , let them splutter, add onions and green chili, sprinkle some salt and fry till golden brown. If you do not fry the onions till golden, you will get the unpleasant smell of raw eggs in the bhurji.
2. This step is optional if you are using capsicum. Add capsicum and fry till they are cooked for about 2 to 3mins
3. Add ginger garlic paste and sauté till you begin to get a nice smell and the raw smell disappears.
4. Break the eggs in a bowl and check for shells. Pour the egg in the pan and lightly scramble it.Repeat scrambling every now and then, to prevent burning and to cook egg evenly
5. Sprinkle red chili powder, garam masala and turmeric. mix well
6. Adjust salt now. Cover and cook for 2 mins, open the lid and fry on medium for 1 to 2 mins. if you prefer moist egg bhurji skip frying.
7. Garnish with coriander or mint or roasted sesame seeds. you can serve without garnishing too.
Egg bhurji recipe below
- 4 large eggs
- 1 Large onion finely chopped
- 1 green chili slit or chopped
- ⅔ of large bell pepper/capsicum (optional, you can skip)
- 1 tsp. of garam masala (adjust to suit your taste)
- ¾ tsp. ginger garlic paste
- ½ tsp. red chili powder
- pinch of turmeric
- oil 2 tbsps.
- 1 small tomato (optional) (refer notes)
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- ¼ tsp. mustard
- ½ tsp. cumin / jeera
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ tsp. shahi jeera
- 2 cloves
- Small cinnamon stick
- few coriander leaves
- mint leaves
- Rinse a bowl and break the eggs and pour them to the bowl, this way egg doesn't stick to the bowl. Check for shells and set aside.
- Chop onions finely.
- Add oil to a pan. Add the seasoning ingredients and saute for about a min without burning.
- Add onions and green chilies, sprinkle little salt and fry until they turn golden. If using capsicums, add them now and fry till they are partially soft for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add ginger garlic paste and fry till the raw smell disappears.Do not burn, I turns the egg bhurji bitter.
- Pour the eggs and scramble lightly. Keep cooking and scramble once more. Stir constantly to prevent burning.
- Add garam masala, red chili powder and turmeric. Stir well. Check the salt and spice and adjust.
- Cook covered for about 2 minutes on a low flame and then fry on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes. If you desire a moist bhurji do not fry. Just keep covered. Switch off the stove.
- Garnish egg bhurji with coriander or mint leaves.
- serve with rice or bread or chapathi
to see how i make a simple egg bhurji, you can take a look at my video. I used
2 tsp. oil
2 large eggs
1 medium onion
1 chopped green chili
1/4 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp. ginger garlic paste
1/2 tsp. garam masala
1/4 tsp. red chili powder
1 sprig curry leaves
little turmeric powder
salt as needed