Egg butter masala recipe – makhani recipe or butter masala is usually made with paneer or chicken. Making it with egg is uncommon, but surely a great one for those who love eggs or want to avoid paneer or chicken. The gravy tastes amazingly delicious with the flavors of butter roasted eggs.
egg butter masala goes very well as a side with almost anything like plain rice, roti, pulao, jeera rice, butter naan and even with biryani. This is one of my most preferred dishes to go with variety rice and even with biryani when i have guests home. It is easy, quick to prepare, tastes delicious and makes a meal delightful.
Though made in the same way as the paneer butter masala, this gravy tastes very different due to the addition of butter roasted eggs.
How to make egg butter masala
1. Heat ¾ tbsp butter in a pan. I suggest not to substitute butter with oil. Eggs roasted in butter taste and smell very good.
2. Prick boiled eggs with fork few times. Roast them until golden. Set these aside
3. To the same pan, add onions, tomatoes, cashews and salt. Saute on a high to medium flame until tomatoes turn soft and mushy. If needed cover and cook. Do not saute on a low flame.
4. Add chili powder and turmeric.
5. Fry until the raw smell of the chili powder goes away.
6. Cool and add to a blender jar with ¾ cup water.
7. Blend to a smooth puree.
8. Add another ¾ tbsp butter. Fry a small cinnamon stick, cloves and cardamom. I have not used ginger garlic paste at this stage but added ginger at step 13. If you like to use ginger garlic, you can add it now and saute until the raw smell goes off.
9. Pour the onion tomato puree. Add more water as needed to bring it to a consistency. I used ¼ cup water.
10. Cover and cook.
11. After a while the gravy thickens. Add garam masala and coriander powder. Cook further for a while.
12. You can see the fat from butter visible lightly on the gravy. Sprinkle kasuri methi.
13. Add eggs, juliennes of ginger and lower the flame. Cook covered for about 2 to 3 mins. If you like you can also add cream. Garnish with coriander leaves.
Egg butter masala goes well with any of the following along with some onion, carrot, cucumber wedges
Find Egg butter masala recipe
- 3 boiled eggs
- 1 ½ tbsp butter
- ¾ cup cubed onions
- 1 cup ripe tomatoes deseeded
- 10 cashew nuts
- salt as needed
- ¾ tsp red chili powder
- turmeric as needed
- 2 cloves
- 2 cardamoms / elaichi
- 1 small cinnamon stick
- ½ to ¾ tsp garam masala
- ½ tsp coriander powder (optional)
- ¼ tsp kasuri methi
- ginger juilennes or ginger garlic paste
- Prick the boiled eggs with a fork and saute them in hot butter until golden. Set these aside.
- In the same pan, saute onions, cashews, tomatoes and salt on a medium to high flame.
- When the tomatoes turn mushy, add chili powder and turmeric.
- Fry until the raw smell goes away.
- Cool this and blend with ¾ cup water.
- Heat ¾ tbsp butter and fry cinnamon, cardamoms and cloves. If using ginger garlic paste, saute it now until the raw smell goes off.
- Pour the puree to the pan and add little more water to bring the gravy to a consistency.
- Cook until the gravy thickens. Add garam masala and coriander powder, cook until you see the fats separated. Add kasuri methi and cook for 1 to 2 mins.
- Add eggs, ginger juliennes and stir.
- Cover and cook for 2 to 3 mins.
- If desired can add a bit of cream.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.