Egg oats upma recipe with step by step photos. A quick breakfast recipe made with oats and egg under 15 mins. I have used mixed vegetables to add nutrition and volume to the dish, you can skip them if you do not have. I have used quick oats, but i suggest using rolled oats if available. I have made this a few times before with rolled oats and loved the texture more than the one made with quick cook oats.
This is not much of a recipe but just an idea, so you can tweak the recipe a bit to suit to your taste. You can also make this a masala egg oats upma by adding ginger garlic paste and garam masala especially if you do not like the flavor of scrambled eggs. This is best served hot for breakfast or dinner. Due to the sticky nature of oats it doesn’t taste good when cooled down, so i highly suggest to serve it right away.
For more Oats recipes you may like to check
Step by step photos on egg oats upma
1. Crackle cumin in hot oil. Saute onions, ginger and green chilies. If using ginger garlic paste , fry the onions until golden and then saute ginger garlic paste until the raw smell goes away.
2. When the onions turn slightly golden or pink, then add mixed veggies. I used carrots, peas and corn. You can also use capsicum and beans. You can also skip the veggies.
3. Saute for a minute. Then cover and cook on a low flame until soft and tender. If needed you can also sprinkle little water and cook.
4. Add oats, salt, turmeric and garam masala (optional). I used quick cook oats. If using rolled oats, add them to a colander. Rinse them under running water. Drain completely. Then add to the pan.
5. Saute for 2 to 3 mins, they do not turn crunchy due to the moist veggies.
6. Pour the egg to pan. If using quick oats, immediately sprinkle 3 to 4 tbsp water (about ¼ cup)evenly in the pan. Add more if it looks dry. You can also beat the egg and then add to the pan. Avoid sprinkling water if using rolled oats.
7. Mix everything well scrambling the egg.
8. Cover and cook on a very low flame until the oats and egg are completely cooked. Just for 2 to 3 mins. Check by tasting little, oats must be soft now. If oats remain under cooked, you can also sprinkle little more water.
Sprinkle coriander leaves and lemon juice as needed. Lemon juice helps to remove the smell of egg, recommended for those new to eating eggs.
- ¾ cup oats (prefer rolled)
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 green chili chopped
- 1 tsp chopped ginger or ginger garlic paste
- ½ tsp cumin
- ¼ cup fine chopped mix vegetables
- Turmeric as needed
- Salt as needed
- 1 tsp Lemon juice
- Coriander leaves few finely chopped
- Heat oil in a pan and crackle cumin. Fry onions ginger and green chili until the onions turn golden.
- Add in the mixed vegetables and saute for a min. Cover and cook until tender. If needed sprinkle some water to help them cook well.
- Add oats, salt and turmeric to the pan. If using rolled oats, add them to a colander and rinse under running water. Drain water completely, then add to the pan.
- Saute for 2 mins. Add the egg and sprinkle 3 to 4 tbsps of water if using quick oats. Avoid water if using rolled oats.
- Scramble the egg quickly. Cover and cook on a low heat until oats and egg are cooked well.
- Add lemon juice and coriander leaves. Stir well and serve hot.